Flirc Forums

No Manual? No real explanation for the Color Wheel?

RonM

I am a techie.  I owed a computer store for over a dozen years when the PC era began and I'm a member of Mensa and I have a doctorate so I'm not dense or uneducated. I got the Skip 1 up and running without difficulty on Windows 10 with a Sound Bar, TV, and Apple TV without difficulty. I haven't tried adding other devices. My Sound Bar isn't in the code base (surprising since the Sony HT-A7000 is pretty common), but I am limping along by using a few codes that cross over from another Sony sound bar for now. 

What surprises me, though, is the absence of any documentation on the use of the color wheel. I can't find anything documenting how it is supposed to be used, its purpose or why it even exists. Given it presumably is a unique feature of this product, why isn't this feature explained somewhere prominently? Can someone explain its supposed usefulness? Thanks.

My interpretation is that these feature unlocks extra 4 buttons to use for any task. Currently I'm using the color wheel to change my onkyo receiver's inputs: blueray, game, set-top box.

How to do that: follow guide in the app. On right side, there's help video. It involves dragging circles into color wheel.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RonM said:

So…. Basically this ensures compatibility with those older remotes that require the color keys but, from a practical standpoint, it just makes a two-keypress command.  Right?

Yes, you're right. My old plasma tv remote have those colored buttons, but not sure what are they for.

They are for old remotes that have the four colors but also to house any extra keys and or macros. You are right, the documentation should be better, I'll get that updated.

Here is a quick video. To assign buttons to that mode, enter the color mode by hitting the four colors. Do your assignment, and hit that button again to exit color mode.

Sync, and just like the app, to send the keys stored in the colors, press the color dot on the remote, and then the corresponding d-pad you assigned those functions too.

Hitting a button in color mode with no assignment will light the ring red showing us an 'error'. Because no key is assigned to that yet. Let me know if that makes sense.

• 11 months later...
On 1/16/2023 at 3:19 PM, RonM said:

I am a techie.  I owed a computer store for over a dozen years when the PC era began and I'm a member of Mensa and I have a doctorate so I'm not dense or uneducated. I got the Skip 1 up and running without difficulty on Windows 10 with a Sound Bar, TV, and Apple TV without difficulty. I haven't tried adding other devices. My Sound Bar isn't in the code base (surprising since the Sony HT-A7000 is pretty common), but I am limping along by using a few codes that cross over from another Sony sound bar for now. 

What surprises me, though, is the absence of any documentation on the use of the color wheel. I can't find anything documenting how it is supposed to be used, its purpose or why it even exists. Given it presumably is a unique feature of this product, why isn't this feature explained somewhere prominently? Can someone explain its supposed usefulness? Thanks.

How on earth did you get this HT-A7000 working!? Thanks for any tips.

On 1/16/2023 at 3:19 PM, RonM said:

Any chance you can detail how you got the HT-A7000 working. I went brute force and nothing worked. Thanks!