Flirc Forums

Unexpected behaviour

PN23

I realize that this is a new device and the current software is beta, but as long time Flirc user with multiple Gen1 and Gen2 devices scattered around the building,  I expected a better experience or a little more polish as that is what I've been used to.

I am currently trying to use the Skip 1s for a very simple setup and just can't get it to work properly.

For this activity, there is a single PC running JRiver Media Center and using a Flirc Gen2. It currently uses a WMCE remote control and all works fine. The Flirc Gen2 is configured using the built-in WMCE profile.

When trying to use the Skip, I have created an activity to control a single device - either PC>Flirc>WMCE or Misc>Microsoft>MCE Code Group 1 or Misc>Microsoft>MCE Media Center Code Group 2.

No matter which device I use, either no buttons work at all, or just one or two buttons work. Sometimes a button does work, but not every time - perhaps out of every 8 to 10 presses it will work once.

Manually mapping the buttons using the Skip software has not made any difference.

Am I missing something or does anyone have any suggestions?

I expected this to be as easy as setting up a Flirc USB, and the software does make it seem like it should be fairly simple.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi @jason

Many thanks for the update - sorry it has taken me so long so come back.

I am still having issues I am afraid - I just can't see what I'm doing wrong.

The Skip software has been updated, Flirc devices have been removed from the activity and added again. Activities have also been deleted and re-created as a test.

The Flirc software and firmware has also been updated.

On the Flirc side, under advanced settings, I have tried using the Flirc WMC profile and the Microsoft WMC profile.

On the Skip side, for devices I have tried using PC > Flirc > Windows Media Center and also tried using Misc > Microsoft > MCE Media Center Code Group 2.

No matter which combination of settings I use, there are always a lot of buttons that do not work.

If I try to program the buttons on the Flirc side, some of the buttons selected will not accept an input from the corresponding button on the Skip. Trying to program the stop button is good example of this.

If I try to edit the actions assigned on the button panel in the Skip software, I have a similar problem as commands seem to be missing. The Back button has no action assigned, for instance, and there is no back action from the button panel I can drag onto it. Likewise with the MCE/Green button for launching MCE or going back to the home menu.

When trying to use the remote for navigation, some directional commands work in some combinations of Flirc and Skip configurations and in others they do not.

I really feel like I must be missing something basic here but I just can't see what I'm getting wrong. I've set up plenty of Flirc devices and Logitech Harmony remotes to try and do exactly what I'm trying to accomplish here, so I'm familiar with the workflow and logic, but something, somewhere is escaping me.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:43 PM, jason said:

Edited by PN23

@jason I have tried using the just the Flirc on its own with the Microsoft WMC controller selected and used this with an original WMC remote that I know to be working as I use it on another device. I am still seeing similar problems with buttons missing or not working and they don't seem to let me program or erase them. Stop and back seem to be fairly common in all of the above tests and are the same here as well but there are others that don't seem to work.

On 3/14/2023 at 11:45 AM, PN23 said:

@jason I have tried using the just the Flirc on its own with the Microsoft WMC controller selected and used this with an original WMC remote that I know to be working as I use it on another device. I am still seeing similar problems with buttons missing or not working and they don't seem to let me program or erase them. Stop and back seem to be fairly common in all of the above tests and are the same here as well but there are others that don't seem to work.

Does the Flirc and the MCE combined have all the buttons you need? If so, you could always add both in the activity, and then edit them in the button editor.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean when you say you can't program or erase them. Is dragging and dropping and erasing not working in the button editor?

2 hours ago, Nathan said:

Does the Flirc and the MCE combined have all the buttons you need? If so, you could always add both in the activity, and then edit them in the button editor.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean when you say you can't program or erase them. Is dragging and dropping and erasing not working in the button editor?

Hi @Nathan,

Yeah sorry, I wasn't very clear there. Dragging and dropping in the button editor works fine. I was referring to the Flirc when I mentioned having trouble erasing or programming buttons.