Flirc Forums

Powering on/off devices and changing inputs

k2dak

Could someone please clarify how the Skip works when changing activities, in regards to powering on/off devices and changing inputs?

Eg:

* I have a TV,  PVR (connected to HDMI 1), and an Apple TV (connected to HDMI 2).
* I press the power button on the remote, and it turns on the TV and PVR, and sets the input to HDMI 1.
* How do I then later power off the PVR, then power on the Apple TV, and switch to HDMI 2?
* How do I then power off the Apple TV and TV (given the PVR should now be off)?

Same question.

Based on what I can gather, you have to power off the current activity and then hit the next activity (A, B, or C) then power that on. 

If there is a way to switch between activities without having to power off the TV, that'd be similar to how harmony works. 

11 hours ago, infrb said:

Same question.

Based on what I can gather, you have to power off the current activity and then hit the next activity (A, B, or C) then power that on. 

If there is a way to switch between activities without having to power off the TV, that'd be similar to how harmony works. 

You are exactly right. Though you do have the option of making another unused button a second switcher. So for example on Activity B, you could use the number 2 on the numpad as a switch for hdmi 2

12 hours ago, infrb said:

1 hour ago, Nathan said:

You are exactly right. Though you do have the option of making another unused button a second switcher. So for example on Activity B, you could use the number 2 on the numpad as a switch for hdmi 2

Oh wow - so you either have to power on all devices at once and then manually switch inputs when switching activities (and then power all devices off), or, power on / off all relevant devices every time you switch activities?

I might have to rethink how / where I use the Skip, and keep it to just a single TV and media player if the kids are going to use it...

Hopefully we can program the activity buttons in the future :)

10 hours ago, Nathan said:

I was asking the same thing on another thread.

I imagine this type of behavior will be relevant to many people. It makes sense that the TV will play a role in most activities, so it would be better if we could program the remote so that switching between activities after you're already powered-on will just switch the input (or potentially turn on some other device that wasn't part of the previous activity, or turn off a device that isn't a part of the new one).

Programming a number button on each activity to switch to the relevant input, while works, is not ideal or straightforward at all. To me, that kind of defeats the purpose of the smart remote. Hope we can get this addressed.

Thanks!

• Like 1