Flirc Forums

Skip App v0.9.4 Beta

jason

Just tried it out! Short answer, yes it's working on my desktop now! Longer answer: I open the new Skip App, connect my remote, and I get the UAC prompt before it opens the terminal window. After the terminal opens, I get a successful connection. But then, if I close the terminal popup, I get a second UAC prompt and a new terminal comes up for a few seconds, then it and the Skip app both close down on their own. If I leave the remote connected and re-open the Skip app after this, it is successfully staying connected without having to open a new terminal window; but, if I disconnect and reconnect the remote, it needs to open a new terminal window again, seemingly every single time I plug the remote back in.

How much of that is expected behavior?

EDIT: Also worth noting that this new installer installed the latest version as a totally separate instance of the app, unlike all the previous installers where it updated the same installation.

Edited by theboomr

2 hours ago, theboomr said:

Just tried it out! Short answer, yes it's working on my desktop now! Longer answer: I open the new Skip App, connect my remote, and I get the UAC prompt before it opens the terminal window. After the terminal opens, I get a successful connection. But then, if I close the terminal popup, I get a second UAC prompt and a new terminal comes up for a few seconds, then it and the Skip app both close down on their own. If I leave the remote connected and re-open the Skip app after this, it is successfully staying connected without having to open a new terminal window; but, if I disconnect and reconnect the remote, it needs to open a new terminal window again, seemingly every single time I plug the remote back in.

How much of that is expected behavior?

EDIT: Also worth noting that this new installer installed the latest version as a totally separate instance of the app, unlike all the previous installers where it updated the same installation.

Nothing is expected. What's expected is that Steam isn't a fucking asshole. Looks like they leaved their software running and it's constantly changing the field. I think this is a proof of concept that works, and needs some time and cleanup.

• Like 1

Yeah, this weekend if I remember, I will try disabling steam's startup services (even though I don't have the application set to run at startup, it has background services that do run) and see if the Skip app's terminal fix "sticks" between unplugging and replugging the remote.

Again super appreciate all your work on this! Aside from this issue and the activity resetting to A, everything else about the remote has been really great in daily usage so far. Love the level of customization it offers, even if the early experience is a bit rough around the edges :)

Can confirm that's working on my desktop PC - which I've since reinstalled FortiClient on, and as recent as yesterday was having issues staying connected to the remote.

Closing and re-opening, had 1 crash almost instantly in roughly 10 attempts. 

Otherwise, opens fine, UAC prompt, command prompt, yep. Then stays connected, doesn't crash. Or at least didn't long enough to pretend to create a config.

Nice work! Appreciate the continued efforts.

image.thumb.png.7b9d371009630b0cb69ffaf63e6cbdd9.png

Edited by dnalloheoj

An update regarding my experience since I received my remote.

The previous version of the app (0.9.4.5265) actually worked for me when it came to connecting to the remote. I tried it on my private desktop computer (which has Steam installed) and didn't have any connection problems. I did however still have the problem where the app crashes as soon as I hover over an activity which made it unusable for me. I have instead been running the app on my work laptop where it works pretty good. I have the occasional crash, sometimes buttons lose their assigned functionality etc, but no connection problems. This new version (0.9.4.5480) works about the same and on my desktop computer it still crashes every time I hover over an activity, but this is no big deal for me right now since it works on my laptop. I've set up my remote pretty much the way I want it and have been using it for over a week and I really like it so far :)

Confirming 5480 also working for me.

Little different behavior, but not bad - Updated, first launch, just a grey/black window, eventually crashed. Opened again, app appeared to be opening "normally," thought remote wasn't showing connected, and then crashed, maybe ~10s total from the time I opened it. Third try, opened up, got a UAC prompt, everything works fine. D/C and reconnected multiple times, always comes back.

FortiClient, Steam, both would be offenders in my case on that PC. 

Prior to these most recent two versions, I was having similar issues as Tony on the PC in question. But they seem to have fixed that on my end (At least, once it gets connected successfully). Though I think one of my test VM snapshots was still in a state where I couldn't undo the changes that caused that app crashing, will give it a whirl this evening. 

E: Update - left it plugged in for ~50ish minutes, stayed connected the whole time. Finally unplugged it to use it, maybe 5-10 minutes later the App crashed. Not sure if useful information in any way just figured I'd mention it (Maybe D/C'ing the remote, removed the 'lock,' and then end-result is a crash? Just spitballin'). 

Edited by dnalloheoj

• jason locked this topic
  • jason unpinned this topic