Flirc Forums

Skip App v0.9.4 Beta

jason

5 hours ago, jason said:

This is really interesting and it's starting to look like two distinct problems.

1. We need to investigate why windows sdk sample app allows us to connect and ours does not

2. Boomer has another problem that is likely related to driver corruption. I suspect because it's more bleeding edge.

It would be great to get another data point. @AeroCluster@sWRbQTFGSIAWare you able to give this a shot?

I've attached all of the requested screenshots (I think. I might have missed a step catching up with the recent posts.).

Hopefully these help. Let me know if there's some other info you could use.

HID_1.0.0.0 error message.png

USB_1.0.4.0 no device detected.png

Event Viewer 410.png

Event Viewer 410 - pop-up.png

Event Viewer 400.png

Event Viewer 400 - pop-up.png

VID_20A0 Device Properties.png

6 hours ago, AeroCluster said:

I've attached all of the requested screenshots (I think. I might have missed a step catching up with the recent posts.).

Hopefully these help. Let me know if there's some other info you could use.

HID_1.0.0.0 error message.png

USB_1.0.4.0 no device detected.png

Event Viewer 410.png

Event Viewer 410 - pop-up.png

Event Viewer 400.png

Event Viewer 400 - pop-up.png

VID_20A0 Device Properties.png

can you and @theboomropen ‘process explorer’, Click the ‘find button’ of the menu bar. Type in 20a0. Does anything show up? If that doesn’t show anything, search for ‘hid’

Thank you for the help.

CCE59A43-D778-43BB-A48C-858B6A562255.png

28 minutes ago, jason said:

Are you able to do a team viewer session?

I probably can a little later this afternoon, like around 2pm MST? I would only have about 15-20 minutes for it, unless we waiting until way later tonight after I'm done with work. Fair warning, my internet upload speed is only like 3-5 Mbps so it will be a laggy experience unfortunately

25 minutes ago, theboomr said:

I probably can a little later this afternoon, like around 2pm MST? I would only have about 15-20 minutes for it, unless we waiting until way later tonight after I'm done with work. Fair warning, my internet upload speed is only like 3-5 Mbps so it will be a laggy experience unfortunately

Ah no problem, let's wait.

Okay, for now, can you do the following. Find the device in device manager again. Go to the first entry in the list, take a screenrecording, just hit down on your keyboard, pause for a couple seconds, hit down again, until we get through all the entries. There must be a clue somewhere what has our device open. 

46 minutes ago, theboomr said:

Major thanks to @Agustin

Okay, FInd our Same 20A0 device under HID-compliant Vendor-Defined Device.

Go to the details tab. Go to `Physical Device Object Name`image.png

Now open up the process explorer application. Search for your `value` you have for above, here is mine in the screenshot:

image.png

What is the process? If it says non-existent, go to run->resmon

Sort by PID, and find the match!

image.png

Hmm, so when I search in Process Explorer, there are zero results matching. I tried with the Skip app both open and closed, same thing. Also, not sure if this matters, but I noticed that the value for Physical Device Object Name seems to be incrementing by 1 (in hex) every time I unplug and plug it back in. Is that expected?

Edited by theboomr

2 minutes ago, theboomr said:

Hmm, so when I search in Process Explorer, there are zero results matching. I tried with the Skip app both open and closed, same thing. Also, not sure if this matters, but I noticed that the value for Physical Device Object Name seems to be incrementing by 1 (in hex) every time I unplug and plug it back in. Is that expected?

It's not impossible. Are you sure you opened the right device in device manager? Maybe try the other 20a0?

It's definitely the device with "20A0" in its Hardware Ids, and it is the device that disappears from the list if I unplug the remote, so I'm pretty confident it's the right device.

I tried searching for the Physical Device Object Name from the USB Input Device (which is "\Device\USBPDO-18" and does not change every unplug/replug the way the HID-compliant vendor-defined device does) and that also returns zero results in Process Explorer.

3 minutes ago, theboomr said:

It's definitely the device with "20A0" in its Hardware Ids, and it is the device that disappears from the list if I unplug the remote, so I'm pretty confident it's the right device.

I tried searching for the Physical Device Object Name from the USB Input Device (which is "\Device\USBPDO-18" and does not change every unplug/replug the way the HID-compliant vendor-defined device does) and that also returns zero results in Process Explorer.

Can you make a video as previously done but with the vendor define device?

7 minutes ago, jason said:

omfg. Kill it and try the skipapp again.

Still doesn't work. It's worth noting that Steam does not auto-start with Windows on my PC, I had to go and start it myself in order to get that result to show up in Process Explorer.

I looked around a bit in Steam's controller settings and it doesn't seem like it shows anything detected in the UI, so it's weird that the process grabs it at all, but yeah, Skip App still doesn't work after closing Steam back down, and I checked for any running background processes.

1 hour ago, jason said:

Major thanks to @Agustin

Okay, FInd our Same 20A0 device under HID-compliant Vendor-Defined Device.

Go to the details tab. Go to `Physical Device Object Name`image.png

Now open up the process explorer application. Search for your `value` you have for above, here is mine in the screenshot:

image.png

What is the process? If it says non-existent, go to run->resmon

Sort by PID, and find the match!

image.png

@dnalloheojCan you try this? Can you also let us know if you kill all steam tasks, does skipapp find the remote? (use the public version)

4 minutes ago, theboomr said:

Still doesn't work. It's worth noting that Steam does not auto-start with Windows on my PC, I had to go and start it myself in order to get that result to show up in Process Explorer.

I looked around a bit in Steam's controller settings and it doesn't seem like it shows anything detected in the UI, so it's weird that the process grabs it at all, but yeah, Skip App still doesn't work after closing Steam back down, and I checked for any running background processes.

make sure you use the public version, some of our test versions had a bunch of stuff in them that intentionally broke things but meant to get us useful logs.

10 minutes ago, jason said:

make sure you use the public version, some of our test versions had a bunch of stuff in them that intentionally broke things but meant to get us useful logs.

Ok, reinstalled the public version (0.9.4) and tried again, still doesn't work, does that same blip then disconnected behavior, and no processes show up in Process Explorer still, searching for either 20A0 or the Physical Device Object Name.

Confirming no issues on W10 (Enterprise - but shouldn't matter here) 22H2 once I removed the previous known-broken 5923 or whatever it was and reinstalled the public release. Opening the app with Steam started works, opening steam with the app already open works. 

Noticed one tiny little blip, maybe .5-1s, when I opened up the App with Steam already opened, but it re-connected straight away and remained connected. 

@theboomr If I were to take a wild guess based on your running processes list from a page or two back, it looks like you've got some sort of ASUS software installed.

asuscertservice.exe - Personally, I don't like that one bit. 

ROG software, perhaps? I also see ArmoryCrate on there, so I'm guessing ROG. 

Get rid of it.

At least that's where I'd start, just going off nothing other than that Process List and what you've been describing here. 

Edit: Just going through the whole list quickly ... it looks pretty clean. I'll just toss Everything.exe out there as another possible culprit. For no other reason being, other than that's a program that I also had installed on my W10 machine when it was having issues, prior to reformatting/reinstalling Windows, and now I don't, and the remote works. I really don't think that would have anything to do with it.. It's just a similarity I see. 

Edited by dnalloheoj