Flirc Forums

Skip App v0.9.4 Beta

jason

Okay, this is a bit of a process, and I'll describe what we've done. We've taken windows demo USB apps and we've wrapped our device into it so that we can use their code and framework to see if we can open the remote using their code. There are two approaches windows takes, HID and USB devices. We made an app for each.

I could not sign their app using their certificate so what we are asking is for you to do the following for each of the apps:

HID

1. Download the app here
  2. Unzip and run `Install.ps1` (This installs a self signed certificate for the app)
  3. If successful, you should be able to run CustomHidDeviceAccess_1.0.0.0_x86_x64_arm_Debug.appxbundle by double clicking
  4. You should see a box, 'Select a Hid Device'. If you see our device in there, select and click `connect`. 

If connected successfully, you will see some text at the bottom of the window that says, "Currently connected to: \\...."

If it failed, it should give us an error code, please let us know what that is.

USB

1. Download the app here
  2. Unzip and run `Install.ps1` (This installs a self signed certificate for the app)
  3. If successful, you should be able to run CustomUsbDeviceAccess_1.0.4.0_x86_x64_arm_Debug.appxbundle by double clicking
  4. You should see a box, 'Select a USB Device'. If you see our device in there, select and click `connect`. 

If connected successfully, you will see some text at the bottom of the window that says, "Currently connected to: \\...."

If it failed, it should give us an error code, please let us know what that is.

----

Only one of these apps should list our device, and not the other. 

I'm sorry for these mundane tasks that feel endless, believe me, I'm trying to push us past this as quickly as possible and may have a lead on a laptop I can purchase to reproduce this.

• Like 1

Alright, so. First off just want to say, I needed to enable developer mode on my Win11 PC, as well as enable running powershell scripts, in the 2 places I circled in this screenshot:

image.thumb.png.29009c9558226f704d0a55541609f73f.png

Once I figured that out: the remote shows up in the HID app, and not in the USB app. However, in the HID app, when I select the device, then click "Connect to device", it gives me this red error at the bottom of the window.

image.thumb.png.650fb425af01df92154e2c5e89ef9d35.png

Edited by theboomr

4 minutes ago, theboomr said:

Alright, so. First off just want to say, I needed to enable developer mode on my Win11 PC, as well as enable running powershell scripts, in the 2 places I circled in this screenshot:

Once I figured that out: the remote shows up in the HID app, and not in the USB app. However, in the HID app, when I select the device, then click "Connect to device", it gives me this red error at the bottom of the window.

That’s helpful. Is SkipApp open?

SkipApp is not open, and I don't see any processes in Task Manager that look like it's hanging out in the background accidentally or anything

Anyway you can print out the processes I can see? Can you also open up the event viewer. Search for 20a0

can you export that and attach?

something in windows is reserving it maybe. 

10 minutes ago, theboomr said:

Here's a list of running processes. Can you provide a little more instruction how to properly search the Event Viewer? I'm not that familiar with it and find that its UI leaves...quite a lot to be desired, lol.

theboomr_Running-Process-List.txt 115.51 kB · 1 download

Yes, it doesn't look like there is an easy way to export. Let's try something first.

Go to

Event Viewer->Custom Views->Device Manager USB Input Device

Is there anything there? There should only be a few, click on them, screen shot those.

Let me figure out how to create a filtered view and I'll get back to you asap.

Apologies for dropping off for a few days, work got busy this week and ended up decided to format and reinstall for a separate reason a couple days ago. Darn Samsung Data Migration.

So back in with a fresh W10 Ent install on my PC, testing from the W11 VM shortly. Oddly, seems I can't USB passthrough the Skip any more to the W11 box without it temporarily disconnecting the USB->NVME drive I've got the VM on. Will try rebuilding it quick. Nevermind, rebuilding didn't help. I guess that's just completely broken now. Not sure if related to the recently installed update or either of those demo apps, other USB devices still pass through fine though. 

Currently got getting much of a response at all in the App, should be on the version from a page or two back. 

Getting connected via HID though. USB same error as above poster. 

image.png.4bb3f97f8535e9ff856d00fe4d8dc454.png

flirc20230118.logimage.png.507115d12811183d03dcfcac7c2ac69c.pngimage.png.778a51339d7e4e433af69c84eeecaeae.png

Edited by dnalloheoj

45 minutes ago, dnalloheoj said:

Apologies for dropping off for a few days, work got busy this week and ended up decided to format and reinstall for a separate reason a couple days ago. Darn Samsung Data Migration.

So back in with a fresh W10 Ent install on my PC, testing from the W11 VM shortly. Oddly, seems I can't USB passthrough the Skip any more to the W11 box without it temporarily disconnecting the USB->NVME drive I've got the VM on. Will try rebuilding it quick.

Currently got getting much of a response at all in the App, should be on the version from a page or two back. 

Getting connected via HID though. USB same error as above poster. 

image.png.4bb3f97f8535e9ff856d00fe4d8dc454.png

flirc20230118.log 204.84 kB · 2 downloads image.png.507115d12811183d03dcfcac7c2ac69c.pngimage.png.778a51339d7e4e433af69c84eeecaeae.png

This is really interesting and it's starting to look like two distinct problems.

1. We need to investigate why windows sdk sample app allows us to connect and ours does not

2. Boomer has another problem that is likely related to driver corruption. I suspect because it's more bleeding edge.

It would be great to get another data point. @AeroCluster@sWRbQTFGSIAWare you able to give this a shot?

1 hour ago, theboomr said:

Thanks for adding those extra instructions. I really think your specific issue isn't quite the same but more so because of the problem in device manager. Have you tried putting a hub inbetween and different ports?

11 minutes ago, jason said:

Thanks for adding those extra instructions. I really think your specific issue isn't quite the same but more so because of the problem in device manager. Have you tried putting a hub inbetween and different ports?

I have tried several ports, including some on the back and all of my front-facing ports, but I haven't tried every single back port. I have not tried putting a hub in between, that's an interesting idea. Can try that tonight probably. If I feel up to it I will try to test every single port in the back too, but I like to keep the same things plugged into the same ports so it is annoying to unplug things :)

3 minutes ago, theboomr said:

I have tried several ports, including some on the back and all of my front-facing ports, but I haven't tried every single back port. I have not tried putting a hub in between, that's an interesting idea. Can try that tonight probably. If I feel up to it I will try to test every single port in the back too, but I like to keep the same things plugged into the same ports so it is annoying to unplug things :)

I've googled this problem, and there is no single solution. From rolling back drivers, to new cables, disabling to re-enabling the device. It's all over the place. My favorite is: "I fixed it!", and then I can only imagine microsoft killed them because there is no fucking follow-up.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, dnalloheoj said:

Here's a couple more pictures from Event Viewer, was able to track down which specific HID-Compliant Vendor Defined device it was popping up as in Devmgmt, grabbed all the different EventID's I found.

https://imgur.com/a/jJ398Zp 

If you go into device manager, expand Human Interface Devices, double click on each one that says, "Usb Input device", and then click on hardware ID's. You'll want to find one that says VID_20A0

Once you do that, go to the general tab of that device. Does it say: 'this device is working properly'.? Or something else?image.png

4 minutes ago, dnalloheoj said:

Correct - VID_20A0 showing This device is working properly.

Edit: Confirmed those same events linked in imgur are essentially the same ones that show up for the relevant 20A0 VID

Boom, this is good news. Do you see anything in Events? How about Events->View all events?

No problem.

If @theboomr wants some help with his stuff and you think it's separate I could set some time away this weekend to hop on his computer remotely if he trusts a random internet stranger.

Out for the night and on-site all day tomorrow, but ping me on reddit at the same name or discord dnalloheoj#4449 or whatever, might see it a little quicker if you need anything further, otherwise I'll check back here soon enough.

Thanks for the work on this Jason.

Edited by dnalloheoj

Just now, dnalloheoj said:

No problem.

If @theboomr wants some help with his stuff and you think it's separate I could set some time away this weekend to hop on his computer remotely if he trusts a random internet stranger.

Out for the night and on-site all day tomorrow, but ping me on reddit at the same name or discord dnalloheoj#4449 or whatever, might see it a little quicker, if you need anything further.

No problem and really thanks so much for the help and patience to you and to all.

• Like 1

Just now, dnalloheoj said:

No problem.

Out for the night and on-site all day tomorrow, but ping me on reddit at the same name or discord dnalloheoj#4449 or whatever, might see it a little quicker, if you need anything further.

If it comes down to it, I'd prolly be okay with that haha. No rush to do that though since I am able to connect the remote successfully on my windows tablet still, so it's not like my remote is totally unusable while the app doesn't work on my main PC.

I am also on Discord at theboomr#6204 if that's a communication option, I'll also see that quicker than here.

Ok I did try with a USB hub and no change in behavior. Didn't try the rest of USB ports in back of my PC but I strongly doubt it would make any difference.

No I don’t think so. But I’m convinced it’s a symptom of this other issue. Are you able to top back drivers in the device?