Flirc Forums

Skip App v0.9.4 Beta

jason

18 minutes ago, theboomr said:

My computer is a custom-built desktop, and it is my primary PC that I use for a lot of stuff every day so unfortunately shipping it to you wouldn't be a possibility for me. If I were the only one having this issue I would definitely just chalk it up to some weirdness with Windows 11 Insider builds (since I'm on the dev channel I get a lot of updates that introduce funky behavior semi-regularly).

Would it be helpful if I could do some kind of remote session with you to troubleshoot on my PC? Unfortunately I don't think I would have any time to do that tonight but probably tomorrow night I could (I'm in Colorado, Mountain time zone).

We need to install all our dev tools and debugger on it and sit there playing with windows settings etc.

Anyone have an off the shelf machine that can be purchased online? I’m going to try and put together something tomorrow but I worry I’m going to spend a few hours on something that won’t even reproduce the problem.

7 minutes ago, theboomr said:

Oooh I'm seeing something maybe relevant in Device Manager? I attached a screenshot. In the Events tab for the remote, I see a message about "Device settings not migrated"image.png.94dd8cea9e2514c6ad5058bd4561bea6.png

I've learned that the events listed in this window go chronologically with oldest at the TOP, so that means the device was still configured and started after the settings weren't migrated. So maybe this isn't actually anything useful.

4 minutes ago, theboomr said:

I've learned that the events listed in this window go chronologically with oldest at the TOP, so that means the device was still configured and started after the settings weren't migrated. So maybe this isn't actually anything useful.

Anything else in that text box when you scroll down?

image.png.03d6f23c4ad4ea444d4842afabde960e.png

Here's a copy of the full text of that text box, since I can't enlarge it at all for a good screenshot:

"Device settings for USB\VID_20A0&PID_0008\975A69C75055344A352E3120FF0E2E19 were not migrated from previous OS installation due to partial or ambiguous device match.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_046D&PID_C539&MI_02\a&15b7f424&0&0002
Class Guid: {745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFF800F130
Present: false

Edited by theboomr

1 minute ago, theboomr said:

image.png.03d6f23c4ad4ea444d4842afabde960e.png

Here's a copy of the full text of that text box, since I can't enlarge it at all for a good screenshot:

"Device settings for USB\VID_20A0&PID_0008\975A69C75055344A352E3120FF0E2E19 were not migrated from previous OS installation due to partial or ambiguous device match.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_046D&PID_C539&MI_02\a&15b7f424&0&0002
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFF800F130
Present: false

And in driver details?

8 minutes ago, theboomr said:

It just prompts me to search automatically or browse locally. If I search automatically, it says the best driver is already installed, with an option to search on windows update, which yields no new drivers to download.

How about if you uninstall and the do a refresh?

44 minutes ago, theboomr said:

I did try that already unfortunately, just comes back with the same driver and same issues in the app :(

Looking into this. It could be a red herring. I’d like to know if other users with the same issue have the same thing going on.  I think windows event logged should print out the same thing 

2 hours ago, theboomr said:

My computer is a custom-built desktop, and it is my primary PC that I use for a lot of stuff every day so unfortunately shipping it to you wouldn't be a possibility for me. If I were the only one having this issue I would definitely just chalk it up to some weirdness with Windows 11 Insider builds (since I'm on the dev channel I get a lot of updates that introduce funky behavior semi-regularly).

Would it be helpful if I could do some kind of remote session with you to troubleshoot on my PC? Unfortunately I don't think I would have any time to do that tonight but probably tomorrow night I could (I'm in Colorado, Mountain time zone).

It's definitely not a Win 11 thing since it's happening to many of us on Win 10 too. I can't send my PC either, since it's my main rig at home. My Win 11 laptop does work so I'm able to test the remote out at least.

49 minutes ago, tauwyt said:

It's definitely not a Win 11 thing since it's happening to many of us on Win 10 too. I can't send my PC either, since it's my main rig at home. My Win 11 laptop does work so I'm able to test the remote out at least.

Yeah, I initially thought it was windows 10 only. Can you go into device manager, go into Humane Interface Devices, and then click on each one there in usb input devices (i think). Details->hardware ID's, confirm it's mine with USBVID_20A0

Do you see the same issue theboomr saw under events?

image.png

2 hours ago, jason said:

Here is another image:

Expectations:

- Those with working machines already, this should break.

- Those with the symptoms we are troubleshooting in this post, on windows, the device should connect, and then fail to communicate. Please let us know, and attach your logs.

Interesting. On my W10 tablet where the previous versions were working, this version did break, where the app just shows no connection at all, not even a blip attempting to connect. But my W11 PC, where previous versions were not working, this version did the same thing as my tablet, no connection happening at all in the app, just remains OFFLINE.

P.S. Do users on this forum have like an account-wide maximum allowed file upload? Seems like the size I'm allowed to upload keeps decreasing, and that will probably become a problem relatively soon if troubleshooting keeps going.

flirc20230117.7z

Edited by theboomr

14 hours ago, jason said:

Yeah, I initially thought it was windows 10 only. Can you go into device manager, go into Humane Interface Devices, and then click on each one there in usb input devices (i think). Details->hardware ID's, confirm it's mine with USBVID_20A0

Do you see the same issue theboomr saw under events?

image.png

I do not see the same migration message in mine. The information in mine just says Device Configured and Device Started. The information box has this in it.

Device USB\VID_20A0&PID_0008\C5C940C05055344A352E3120FF19230B was configured.

Driver Name: input.inf
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.2251
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: HID_Inst.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF3202
Matching Device Id: USB\Class_03
Outranked Drivers: 
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\ROOT_HUB30\7&18eea21b&0&0

2 hours ago, jason said:

Here is another image:

Expectations:

- Those with working machines already, this should break.

- Those with the symptoms we are troubleshooting in this post, on windows, the device should connect, and then fail to communicate. Please let us know, and attach your logs.

This version is back to the .exe that has to be run w/ admin rights. It runs a powershell that then creates a desktop icon pointing to nothing.

When I go find the SkipApp.exe that was installed in Program Files/WindowsApps it says something about a shared dll file missing.

Edited by tauwyt

18 minutes ago, theboomr said:

Interesting. On my W10 tablet where the previous versions were working, this version did break, where the app just shows no connection at all, not even a blip attempting to connect. But my W11 PC, where previous versions were not working, this version did the same thing as my tablet, no connection happening at all in the app, just remains OFFLINE.

P.S. Do users on this forum have like an account-wide maximum allowed file upload? Seems like the size I'm allowed to upload keeps decreasing, and that will probably become a problem relatively soon if troubleshooting keeps going.

flirc20230117.7z 22.34 kB · 0 downloads

There must be a setting causing this, let me find it.

Upload settings fixed.