Flirc Forums

Skip App v0.9.4 Beta

jason

1 minute ago, jason said:

Losing my fucking mind: 

CS ConnectTask V41KT9Q4SDQI91P3 ERROR Current|status:|Allowed

So it fails to open the device despite reporting back that it is allowed. 

It should fail with;

1. Disallowed by system

2. disallowed by user

3. Unknown

Do you have any virus protection apps installed?

1 hour ago, jason said:

This will provide a bit more context. Is anyone seeing the issue with Windows 11? Seems to be only Windows 10.

Just for whatever it's worth, spinning up a W11 VM in VirtualBox and using USB passthrough works just fine. Remote stays connected. W10 vHost that experiences the same disconnect issues being discussed.

Said W10 machine - not the person you're replying to, but no AV, Defender fully disabled, local admin.

Edited by dnalloheoj

2 minutes ago, dnalloheoj said:

Just for whatever it's worth, spinning up a W11 VM in VirtualBox and using USB passthrough works just fine. Remote stays connected. W10 vHost that experiences the same disconnect issues being discussed.

Can you post your windows 10 logs?

I am really puzzled, there are reported no windows permission issues. It's like something else has the device opened. There are no instances of this app running? The skip color picker is not open? My other Flirc USB app? (although the flirc usb app should not open the remote).  This is crazy.

At least some of those log entries would've been while the Flirc (receiver) button mapping application was running, most would've been just the Skip App though, but there would've also been reboots in between (Selective startup and Diagnostic startup). Behavior never changed.

Just as a completely random one, maybe this rings a bell for someone else, but I previously had FortiClient on my PC while doing some testing for work, which installed a Device (In Device Manager) called 'FortiDeviceGuard' - ever since then I've had a lot of "weirdness" with USB ports. Most notably, it'd hard-crash my PC to a black screen whenever an Xbox controller was plugged in. It's since been removed, but things still act .. funky, sometimes. My other laptop, that is also experiencing this issue, still might have that installed as well.

I'll spin up a fresh w10 box in the AM and see if I have any similar results to W11 on a totally clean install. 

(As an aside, works great on W11! All setup in a manner of minutes just as I wanted it.)

Thanks for your efforts on this Jason.

Edited by dnalloheoj

@jason No virus protection apps installed other than the default Windows Security. I tried disabling real-time protection temporarily and running the app again, but no luck, same behavior. I don't have any other Flirc apps open or running that I can see.

Also, sorry for my somewhat slow responses, I am only able to check this thread once in a while between other stuff going on.

Just tried again, this time with SkipApp-0.1.0.5282. The behavior is slightly different than with the previous version.

Initially, the bottom center of the window will say "OFFLINE", and then after plugging in the remote, it will switch to "Ø CONNECTING". It usually stays there seemingly indefinitely though, and is grayed out. When it doesn't stay on "Ø CONNECTING", it just switches back to "OFFLINE".

Two log files this time. The first attempt was in Windows 10 Safe Mode with networking, and the second was back in normal Windows 10 after a reboot. The files are both bigger than the 2.27 MB filesize limit, so I'm including a Google Drive link instead: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OL5laBp0DFFqwEvY0OChtOZBMqtvSOgE?usp=sharing

I'm running this on an Administrator account, and I didn't have the Flirc USB app running. I only had one instance of the SkipApp running, and I'm not even sure what the skip color picker is because I haven't done anything else with the software except try to get it to see my remote. I do have Malwarebytes installed, but it hasn't yelled at me about SkipApp, so I assume it hasn't interfered. I haven't been experiencing any USB issues with my PC other than this.

SkipApp-0.1.0.5282 screenshot.png

I have an idea. Drop the config.json file into the same file as the log folder. Restart the app. This will enable the admin window.  Head on over to that. Send me a screenshot of the first window "USB"

Let me know if you see more than one Skip1s. Report results on trying to connect here to either of them.

image.png

config.json

4 minutes ago, AeroCluster said:

Just tried again, this time with SkipApp-0.1.0.5282. The behavior is slightly different than with the previous version.

Initially, the bottom center of the window will say "OFFLINE", and then after plugging in the remote, it will switch to "Ø CONNECTING". It usually stays there seemingly indefinitely though, and is grayed out. When it doesn't stay on "Ø CONNECTING", it just switches back to "OFFLINE".

Two log files this time. The first attempt was in Windows 10 Safe Mode with networking, and the second was back in normal Windows 10 after a reboot. The files are both bigger than the 2.27 MB filesize limit, so I'm including a Google Drive link instead: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OL5laBp0DFFqwEvY0OChtOZBMqtvSOgE?usp=sharing

I'm running this on an Administrator account, and I didn't have the Flirc USB app running. I only had one instance of the SkipApp running, and I'm not even sure what the skip color picker is because I haven't done anything else with the software except try to get it to see my remote. I do have Malwarebytes installed, but it hasn't yelled at me about SkipApp, so I assume it hasn't interfered. I haven't been experiencing any USB issues with my PC other than this.

SkipApp-0.1.0.5282 screenshot.png

I ask about the malware/viruseware because I did see someone on stack overflow complaining that it changed the path of certain usb devices. Thanks for the logs, looking.

Edit: Spoke too soon. It was steady for a good 4-5 minutes, but now, same behavior.

Fresh install on a VM, W10 Pro 22H2 1905.2006 and can confirm that works as well, similar to the W11 VM, with the non-working W10 Enterprise host. 

Logs attached from working W10 VM.
Re-Uploaded Logs (Zipped as they were 7MB)

Hardware on both non-working PCs (W10 Pro and Ent) are Intel and AMD (respectively). 16-32GB RAM. Desktop is a custom build, Laptop is an HP Elitebook Gsomethingoranother.

If anyone's willing to pull a list of installed programs using powershell:  

Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Select-Object DisplayName, DisplayVersion, Publisher, Size, InstallDate | Format-Table -AutoSize

or CMD to grab a list of installed updates:

wmic qfe list

Could start trying to hunt down similarities on effected machines, install a bunch of programs until we find one that starts causing problems. 

Could be USB controller related and I'm just getting different drivers via passthrough on the VMs. Spitballin'. 

flirc20230116.zip

Edited by dnalloheoj

First thing, thanks for the help you are giving us. I appreciate it.

About the error, we have a theory related to the capabilities in the app manifest. And we have some possible solutions. I would be very grateful if someone could help us test them.
I will leave here some versions of the application. I need you to install and open the app, when it fails close it and install the next one.
We know some of them won't work, but we want to see the logs they throw.
Lastly, please attach the file of logs.

Version 5283 - Version 5284 - Version 5285 - Version 5286 - Version 5287 - Version 8288

Note: At the time of this post, the last 2 versions are being generated. The links will be valid in 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Here's my log after trying the first 4 versions. For each version I installed the updated version, launched the app, plugged in the remote (every time, it had the same behavior of not connecting and getting stuck in the bottom center at "CONNECTING..."), unplugged the remote, then closed the app.

I'll post another log once the links become valid for the last 2 versions.

flirc20230116.7z

1 hour ago, theboomr said:

Here's my log after trying the first 4 versions. For each version I installed the updated version, launched the app, plugged in the remote (every time, it had the same behavior of not connecting and getting stuck in the bottom center at "CONNECTING..."), unplugged the remote, then closed the app.

I'll post another log once the links become valid for the last 2 versions.

flirc20230116.7z 5.73 kB · 0 downloads

As always, thanks for getting back to us so quickly. If you have a chance to do the others, it would be greatly appreciated

Here's my log after doing the same steps with version 5287. Version 8288 (is that supposed to be 5288?) link still does not work though.

Also for the record, I tried installing the app on my Windows 10 Eve V tablet and there it works fine! So I'm only having this issue on Windows 11 (which I unfortunately only have installed on 1 computer in the house, so I can't test Win11 elsewhere). But at least I can actually try out using the remote, I'm not totally dead in the water :)

flirc20230116.7z

7 minutes ago, theboomr said:

Here's my log after doing the same steps with version 5287. Version 8288 (is that supposed to be 5288?) link still does not work though.

Also for the record, I tried installing the app on my Windows 10 Eve V tablet and there it works fine! So I'm only having this issue on Windows 11 (which I unfortunately only have installed on 1 computer in the house, so I can't test Win11 elsewhere). But at least I can actually try out using the remote, I'm not totally dead in the water :)

flirc20230116.7z 6.55 kB · 1 download

Thank you. Last one is broken. Looking into it 

21 hours ago, theboomr said:

The issue is occurring for me on Windows 11, insider version 22H2, build 25276.1000.

Also, with the latest version, the error behavior has changed a little bit for me. Now when I plug in the remote, the bottom left area just stays the same, disconnected, with no blips/changes, but the bottom center gray icon changes and gets stuck saying "CONNECTING...", even after unplugging the remote.

I've attached log with the 0.1.0.5282 version and the new behavior I see when plugging in and unplugging the remote.

I am using an administrator account.

flirc20230116.log 493.1 kB · 2 downloads

Sorry. What kind of computer do you have where the issue is? I’m going to buy one. I can’t reproduce it and the logs aren’t that helpful. I’m tearing my hair out. 

Also another option is if someone is in the San Jose area or willing to send me a machine, I’ll cover all the costs. I’m getting desperate. Once we reproduce it, it’ll be easier to solve.

16 minutes ago, jason said:

Sorry. What kind of computer do you have where the issue is? I’m going to buy one. I can’t reproduce it and the logs aren’t that helpful. I’m tearing my hair out. 

Also another option is if someone is in the San Jose area or willing to send me a machine, I’ll cover all the costs. I’m getting desperate. Once we reproduce it, it’ll be easier to solve.

My computer is a custom-built desktop, and it is my primary PC that I use for a lot of stuff every day so unfortunately shipping it to you wouldn't be a possibility for me. If I were the only one having this issue I would definitely just chalk it up to some weirdness with Windows 11 Insider builds (since I'm on the dev channel I get a lot of updates that introduce funky behavior semi-regularly).

Would it be helpful if I could do some kind of remote session with you to troubleshoot on my PC? Unfortunately I don't think I would have any time to do that tonight but probably tomorrow night I could (I'm in Colorado, Mountain time zone).