Flirc Forums

Activity swapping back to A issue

BenE

Hi there. I recently got my Skip 1s and all is going well, except the current activity sometimes swaps back to A for no apparent reason. This is a bit annoying and what's more there is no clear timeout period or anything (happens every few minutes to an hour or more), it just seems to randomly do it. Is this intentional? If so what's the trigger?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by BenE
Clarification

I'm also having this problem. I spent an evening getting the app to install, then about half of my devices don't respond to their power toggle or on/offs. So I settled on kind of a half-solution with two remotes, but then I go to pick up the remote thinking it should be left in B, hit a button, and realize it's not doing fuck-all because it's in A.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:27 PM, BenE said:

Hi there. I recently got my Skip 1s and all is going well, except the current activity sometimes swaps back to A for no apparent reason. This is a bit annoying and what's more there is no clear timeout period or anything (happens every few minutes to an hour or more), it just seems to randomly do it. Is this intentional? If so what's the trigger?

Thanks for the help.

Definitely not intentional. This was happening with one of the development remotes, but not any of the others, and I believe at the time we thought it was just a glitch on that remote. This is a tricky one to fix, because as you said, there doesn't seem to be a clear pattern, so it's hard to recreate and test against, but we'll get working on it. If anyone with this problem can reliably reproduce it, please let us know, as that will help a lot in getting it fixed. 

Once I see this happen, I then switch to Activity B, then hit mute, wait for the light around activity B to turn off, wait 5-10 minutes or so, then hit mute again to unmute the TV and it will light up Activity A. 

I don't know if the remote has any sort of timeout where the remote goes into a low power state or not (not sure if the remote is smart enough for that). 

This also occurs with my remote, activity auto returns to A at random time intervals, sometimes within a minute, sometimes after a few minutes.
Really annoying, i hope this will also be fixed asap.

Otherwise super great remote and app !!
Keep up the good work!!

• 2 weeks later...

An update to the issue:

The actual problem seems to be the remote 'turning off', as in when the activity swaps back to A its because the remote is disabled for a second then boots back up on its own, like a reset. This also has the effect of cancelling colour mode if its active, and making no output possible for half a second while resetting.

Additionally, the problem became worse but more predictable: now if you press any button while an activity light is on, the reset most likely happens. Also if you press the colour button it will reset almost immediately too without any other input.

However, when plugged into a pc, the issue doesn't occur. The remote behaves normally.

As the remote is very difficult to use now due to the resets being very frequent, I hope a fix to this is found quickly. I don't have a Mac, but my Windows laptop runs the software if that will help.

Just wanted to chime in that I realized a few days ago that I'm also seeing this issue where it sometimes "resets" to activity A. Hasn't been a big deal to me so far since I 90% of the time only use the remote for one device, but looking forward to a fix nonetheless. I'll try the LED brightness lowering trick for now and see if I notice a difference.

So I tried lowering LED brightness for my remote over the weekend in the LEDs section of the app, I put it down to 25% instead of 100%. This didn't seem to mitigate the issue with swapping back to activity A for me. Also, I think maybe someone mentioned this elsewhere, but it doesn't appear that changing the brightness setting actually does change the physical brightness, it seems the same.

19 hours ago, theboomr said:

So I tried lowering LED brightness for my remote over the weekend in the LEDs section of the app, I put it down to 25% instead of 100%. This didn't seem to mitigate the issue with swapping back to activity A for me. Also, I think maybe someone mentioned this elsewhere, but it doesn't appear that changing the brightness setting actually does change the physical brightness, it seems the same.

Yep, we're working on a firmware update for this. 

• Like 1

I don't think this is limited to multiple activities.  I only have Activity A on my 2 remotes. After some amount of time after Powering On if I hit the Power button it does not send the Power Off.   It seems to send the Power On again because my video inputs are resent which is only specified in the Power On sequence.  If I immediately hit the Power button again the Power Off sequence is sent.  Maybe there is a reboot/reset happening.

Just now, virtualshock said:

I don't think this is limited to multiple activities.  I only have Activity A on my 2 remotes. After some amount of time after Powering On if I hit the Power button it does not send the Power Off.   It seems to send the Power On again because my video inputs are resent which is only specified in the Power On sequence.  If I immediately hit the Power button again the Power Off sequence is sent.  Maybe there is a reboot/reset happening.

@virtualshockwill have a fix posted really soon, everything is taking a lot longer with random things coming up, but I'm really almost there for a ton of stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@jason Maybe this will be a non-issue once we have your forthcoming fixes, but just wanted to post in this thread that this activity reset issue has become incredibly worse on my remote over the last few days. It now resets pretty much every single button press, even if I'm just sticking to activity A, it will just constantly reset (it's easy to tell it's resetting because the white ring light around the activity button turns off instantly with the button press, rather than glowing for the 2s timeout it's supposed to have), which makes it very difficult to consistently use the remote for anything, especially if I want to press and hold a button, like the volume buttons, for example. I'm not totally sure, but I feeeeel like this might've started happening after I had plugged the remote into my PC with the new updated app, but I don't know if anything there could've actually caused this or if that's just a coincidence.

I have tried taking out the batteries and letting it sit for several minutes then putting them back in; no effect. I also tried reconnecting to my windows tablet where the app has always worked fine (and it's still running the older 0.9.4 718 app version), and changed a couple things then synced the remote again, but that also didn't help the issue at all.

Edited by theboomr

• jason locked this topic