Flirc Forums

Simple use case?

thedjm

Hi, I was just looking for a solution to this (hopefully) simple use case and came upon your product.

We're a Roku household so that remote is very familiar to us.  

We have a Windows 10 PC in one of the rooms used for gaming and to watch Youtube videos (for the kids).  The trouble is they are chained to the computer (keyboard and mouse) to control Youtube when it's on.   That's fine sometimes, but sometimes they just want to get up and move around and having a remote be able to do all the usual things on the Windows Youtube app via a remote would free them from that situation.  Fast forward, rewind, pause, play, back (to navigate vidoes), voice search, etc.

When the kids are using an actual Roku on another screen, they know how to control the native Roku Youtube app using the Roku remote.  I'd ideally like to use Flirc to give them as close to the same experience for controlling Youtube on the Windows PC using the same Roku remote via Flirc.

How possible is this given the Flirc software and limitations (do doubt) of Youtube control via the "keyboard" triggers that Flirc can pass through?

• 1 month later...

Hi, have you gone the Flirc route yet? Any learnings on your use case?

I'm a new Flirc user -- I "listen" to youtube stuff on computer browser while doing things around the house and wanted a way to play-pause-rewind-ff at a distance.  I use the Vzio XRT112 remote, and it works well enough as long as the browser is the active application.

It's a little annoying that Youtube got rid of their TV-friendly browser interface. Nevertheless, I think most of what both of you want can be accomplished using the YouTube keyboard shortcuts that work in most browsers. Set up the flirc using the standard keyboard layout and follow the keys from this page: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7631406?hl=en