Flirc Forums

Flirc affected by Xbox One Kinect

dooty22

After attempting to use 3 different remotes and having an issue with all of them where a single directional press would send the windows media center UI spinning like a poker machine, i eventually narrowed the issue down to the kinect on my xbox one, by blocking its sensor (putting a cushion in front of it :-)) and being unable to reproduce the issue, and able to reproduce it again when unblocked.

Im wondering if anyone has any advice on how I can prevent this happening as I want to continue using the kinect in the same room as the flirc. I understand the kinect sends ir signals in the room but dont understand why its breaking flirc.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this exact same issue, I didn't even own the xbox one until today so it isn't through some reverb on initial programming. It seems as if there is some sort of echo.

See this video it's very strange..

Also there are no reflective surfaces that could be causing this either.

Also there are no reflective surfaces that could be causing this either.

The Xbox One Kinect uses a powerful IR Blaster that bounces off walls. I think it also uses IR for nightvision. Maybe the IR that it's using for night vision is causing issues for FLIRC.

I think it also uses IR for nightvision.

I've always been led to believe it is to augment the camera input as IR provides depth information (i.e. the person is standing a meter in front of the wall so they are separate objects)

In addition to the excellent solution posted by DEADPOOL, you can try the noise cancelation setting of flirc (in the GUI it's in file --> advanced settings).

Probably the reason XBox one IR affects flirc and not other device is a balance that Jason has chosen for Flirc. He wanted great signal reception by Flirc (you can plug it into the back of a machine and it will work) but the trade off is likely increased chance of response to noise - more of a problem now next gen consoles have always on features

that tip about putting the flirc in the back USB port of my htpc has resolved my issue. The remote still works properly but the kinect doesnt interfere with it anymore.

I would never have thought the flirc dongle wld still work tucked away back there so I never considered trying that. 

thanks everyone.

• Like 1