Flirc Forums

xbmc lock up - flirc bug?

castalla

I have no idea if this is a flirc or xbmc bug (flirc is suspect because I haven't seen the problem using keyboard or mouse).

I have a key mapped to Favorites. This pops up and I can select and play a favorite.

If I put the PC into sleep when it wakes up everything works as expected BUT then (randomly) selecting a favorite stream causes a complete lock-up of the PC. Only a hard reboot can recover.

Win 7 32 and pre-Eden xbmc.

Any thoughts.

I'm not entirely convinced it's flirc, but let's try to get to the bottom of it.

Do you have any logs you can check? Does XBMC have a log in windows you could look at immediately after a reboot from a crash?

How about installing a different version of XBMC?

Let me know.

• 1 month later...

@Jason

For my own information, isn't the flirc effectively an USB keyboard to the computer? Unless it's sending a keystroke other than what was intended or sending repeatedly, I'm having a hard time figuring how it causes the issue.

Is there some other functionality that I'm unaware of? I test my setups using a text editor. I'm assuming flirc has no app/state information and therefore does not provide different inputs based on the active app (again just an USB keyboard that is programmed to accept IR inputs and provide USB keyboard outputs to the computer). Am I missing something? I ask because I'm still new to flirc and that's the mental model I use in troubleshooting.

You are correct in your logic. (which is why Jason wasn't convinced it it was FLIRC)

This thread is quite old (relatively) and the user was running an XBMC nightly (i.e. before the betas).

Don't worry about it if your not having any problems. Are you having problems similar to this?

Regards

Chris!

(p.s. whilst I'm not Jason I believe I can answer your question, hence why I answered)

@Jason

For my own information, isn't the flirc effectively an USB keyboard to the computer? Unless it's sending a keystroke other than what was intended or sending repeatedly, I'm having a hard time figuring how it causes the issue.

Is there some other functionality that I'm unaware of? I test my setups using a text editor. I'm assuming flirc has no app/state information and therefore does not provide different inputs based on the active app (again just an USB keyboard that is programmed to accept IR inputs and provide USB keyboard outputs to the computer). Am I missing something? I ask because I'm still new to flirc and that's the mental model I use in troubleshooting.

It's actually pretty complicated. I appear to the host as a USB keyboard, but my firmware and how I send keys to the computer is entirely up to me. But that's not the problem, the problem is the remote control. When you press a button on your remote, your remote blinks an LED sending a 'packet' across your room. Each packet is sent around 100ms apart from the next, but that 100ms really depends on your remote. Some are 100ms, the harmony is configurable to seconds.

So here is the problem. When you press the button on the remote, the remote sends packets (plural) to flirc. When you hold your button down on your remote, your remote sends 'packets' to flirc. There is absolutely no difference from flirc's point of view. I have to determine if you've just pressed the button on your remote, or if you are holding it down. If you press the button rapidly, you may just end up looking like you are pressing the button down to me. And the worst part is, each remote control is different. So I have to come up with a generic way that will work with everything.

So that's the problem, I'm not sure if that's what you asked, but I'm referring to this as 'sticky' buttons. I'll narrow this down and come up with a really smart way of making this rock solid.

The issue with the new firmware is that I made a mistake somewhere in the USB protocol and windows does not see my 'terminate' character, which is interpreted as the user has stopped pressing the key all together. I'm going to narrow this down really soon.