Flirc Forums

Poor performance with OFA Xsight Colour

Pillendreher

Hey there,

I've run into a little bit of trouble with flirc and a One For All Xsight Colour. Flirc works like a charm with our Harmony 300i, but it really struggles with the Xsight Colour. I've used the flirc gui to assign the keys on the remote-control to "keyboard keys", which worked. Unfortunately though, almost everytime I press a key on the remote control, it somehow doesn't get "accepted". I tried double-recording the keys, but that didn't help either.

Is there a way to determine it the problem is caused by the remote control (which works fine with other devices btw) or by flirc?

Pillendreher

Is there a way to determine it the problem is caused by the remote control (which works fine with other devices btw) or by flirc (which works fine with other devices btw)?

Fixed that, since you said it works with your Harmony remote, and that minor point is the issue here.  makes it really tough to determine where the point of failure lies.  Is it actually every single button press that gets rejected to pass along as a key stroke. But they all record fine?   The only thing I can think of here is a lighting issue, but if it is rejecting every key press then there is just no way.

Also, how does that XSight feel?  I really like the look ( functionally, aesthetically, and ergonomically) of it over the harmony.

Well I gotta follow up on my first post: The Xsight does work well both with my Panasonic TV and my satellite box.

I tried recording buttons yesterday until the gui asks me if I want to redo the button. Afaik, people have reported they had to "double-record" buttons...well with the Xsight Colour, I can record certains buttons up to 5-6 times !! And even if I do record a button that often, the remote still doesn't work correctly....

Well, compared to a Harmony 300i, the Harmony definetly feels better. It's slimmer and round on the bottom whereas the Xsight feels a little bit like an old phone. But since there aren't many remotes for ~ 30 € that aren't completety crap and the Harmony can't be bought for a reasonable price anymore (at least in Germany), I might stick with the Xsight Colour. I'd still like to solve the issue described by me.

Is there any way to determine how many different "key-responses" there are with this remote? I can't believe I'll have to record each button up to 8 times to get the remote to function properly...

Given the Amazon reviews this remote seems to have some issues.

But the main website says the remote has learning capabilities. "

Learning
  • Copy functions of the original remote to the keypad of the Xsight No limitation for learning (32MB)" 

32MB isn't precisely "No Limitation", but whatever.

I am wondering, have you tried teaching the remote codes of the Harmony to the XSight? I understand this sounds like a lot of trouble, and may be more than you care to give a go, but it is still a possible solution.

Your proposition really improved the Xsight's performance! I learned all the buttons that were available on the Harmony and now the Xsight's perfomance can easily be compared to the Harmony's. Pressing a button is recognized instantly, no more pushing pause 5-10 times just to get XBMC to pause the movie :)

I got one question though: Is it possible to use all buttons on the Harmony? E.g. the colour buttons don't do a thing, whereas I'd like to put "next subtilte" on yellow. I tried defining new actions for the Harmony via myharmony.com, but that didn't really work....

I made a rookie mistake...the colour keys were all working fine, but I didn't have anything assigned to the keyboard-shortcuts shown in the flirc gui (e.g. ctrl, shift, b). I just remapped those via XBMC's keyboard.xml and voliá, I had everything set up the way I want it to :)

Thank you very much for your help! Happy flircing :)