Flirc Forums

Can't get remote to work. Someone please help

navigates

Are you sure you're tying the remote buttons to the proper keyboard functions?

What player are you using in attempt to play whatever media it is that you're playing? (haha that was fun)

Just start with Arrow keys. Map Up,Down,Left,Right on your remote to the appropriate keyboard keys and attempt to navigate around your media application.

Don't know what you mean by "learning mode" exactly, I'm assuming you mean the graphical interface is up and you clicked a button and mapped a key to it.

Not a lot to go on here.

• Like 1

Yes I used the up down left right in the learner to make it learn and the software showed that it has learnt. In the command line utility it also shows that the keys have been programmed but they don't work. 

I test the up down left right in xbmc and also on notepad to see if it works and it does not. 

What OS/version?

What remote exactly?

Does your Flirc show up in your Hardware manager?

If it doesn't then it sounds like a bad unit. If it does, then this sounds like one of those remotes that sends out a pre-code before the actual arrow key, in which case it's sending out UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT all at once and I have no idea how that would prioritize and simply do one of those or if it would queue them all up and cancel out.

Does your remote have DVD/TV/SAT/AUX button(or swtiches)?  If so, which one are you using?

Nevermind on the XBMC thing, since you're seeing the problem persist into notepad (which means you're running Windows I guess), and the settings was a Plex thing I was thinking of.

This does seem to line up with the sensitivity thing that showed up awhile back.  http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/46-directional-keypresses-mixing-up/?hl=xbmc#entry3531

The OP there reported most keys stopped with a different setting, so maybe yours needs to be changed.

• Like 1

Hi. Its an LG TV Remote which I have in the bedroom. The remote works just fine with the TV. The flirc shows up in the hardware manager and it also shows connected on the software. I was hoping that once the LG remote is programmed, I can make my bose lifestyle send out those commands as it does that very well for all the household devices.

Budwyzer.

sorry if I wasn't clear. Here it is. 

The LG TV is a small TV in my bedroom that works with a simplistic remote.

I tried to make that remote work with flirc.

In the Flirc Application, the application picks up the signals when learning from the remote but then does not playback on xbmc.

Here I mentioned the bose lifestyle v35 is because the lifestyle remote learns from any remote by learning its keystrokes. So after the LG remote is fully configured, I plan to make the bose learn the keystrokes of the LG remote so I can use it as a universal remote.

Update: I got flirc to work. Can someone please help me by getting the fw_repeat.bin file please. I can't seem to download it from here. Are there any other suggestions. When I click on right or left, It works sometimes and then keeps the button pressed and move lots of pointers forward.

Is there any other suggestion guys?

At this moment. So far the best solution found till date is the PS3 Bluetooth remote. It works very well but has its own minor if's and buts.

Pros of the PS3 Blumote.

Works perfectly all the time and rage is not an issue. A simple minor click will make it work.

All color buttons work perfectly.

The blumote software is very customizable.

Cons of the PS3 Blumote.

You have to use the hibernate settings to conserve battery. IF the remote is not set to hibernate then you will have to replace the batteries once in every 4 days.

If in hibernate mode, when you press a key and the remote is hibernated, for example you are watching a movie and press pause and the remote is hibernated, it will take about 2 seconds to send the pause command as it has to wake up the remote.

The above two points are the only cons but with the flirc, I feel there are too many if's and buts to make it work perfectly.

For example.

Pros of Flirc.

Infra Red so batteries wont die.

You can use your universal remote instead of an alternate PS3 remote.

Cons.

Flaky in a sense, flirc will learn the remote but not play back well. 

Constant additional key presses.

Has an external object sticking out. If you use a bluletooth keyboard and mouse then the ps3blulmote is a total clean solution vs a flirc.

Having said that I really like the possibility of using my universal remote vs an alternate ps3 remote. Hope someone can help out.

Can someone please help me by getting the fw_repeat.bin file please

Old Beta's are depreciated when new ones come out. Check out here:

The above two points are the only cons but with the flirc, I feel there are too many if's and buts to make it work perfectly.

For example.

Pros of Flirc.

Infra Red so batteries wont die.

You can use your universal remote instead of an alternate PS3 remote.

Cons.

Flaky in a sense, flirc will learn the remote but not play back well. 

Constant additional key presses.

Has an external object sticking out. If you use a bluletooth keyboard and mouse then the ps3blulmote is a total clean solution vs a flirc.

There's a thread I started so I could direct people interested in Flirc to it to see if it would be suitable for them... like an amazon review. If you feel like formatting your post as described and adding it that would be super :)

Pleasant regards