Flirc Forums

Bricked Jeff Probe

Angel

I have a jeff probe. I tried to update the probe to what I thought was a newer firmware version. Since there is very little documentation and community support, I used the firmware for the native black magic probe. This bricked the device but left the bootloader. While I was trying to get the probe back to it's original state, the bootloader got wiped as well. I have searched everywhere for a prebuilt copy of the firmware but it doesn't seem to exist. I found the repository github.com/flirc/blackmagic. No matter what I try, I can't get it to build. It always errors out before the firmware is built. I tried going to your support page and download page for the jeff probe but it is always "under construction." I lost usb functionality with the bootloader but I have it hooked up to the bus pirate using open ocd. Please, I need a copy of the prebuilt firmware to restore the device.

Also, the device will not boot into bootloader mode because the bootloader was wiped. That means, if I hold down the button and then plug it in, it still will not go into bootloader mode. lsusb, dmsg, and the like do not detect the device. NOTHING works.

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue, the board I wanna debug is lpc4370 and it would error out, so i figured a firmware update would help. But it wont build. Newer toolchains find more warnings and errors, but even turning off Werror it still finds actually errors not warnings. I worked thru sum of them before giving up. A schematic is a must if we ever wanna repurpose it as well, or use sercom mixing to bust out say i2c. Reading the forum etc it doesnt seem likely well ever even get a response on this. Even knowing what toolchain version they managed to compile this with would be a huge help.

• 2 weeks later...

I really fucked up, I'm sorry. I'll get you a new board, I'm sorry it got messed up while you were waiting.

I updated github with better instructions, a quick fix to samd targets, and binaries. I also included schematics.

I don't do much work on this. I am so overwhelmed with this new product. Harmony competitor. Massive project. Years in the making. Starting production shortly. Still a lot to do but it's all quickly coming together.

• 10 months later...

Hi Jason,

I got one of these jeff probe blackmagic JTAG clone from Amazon. I intend to use it on the ESP32-s2 chip using eclipse.

I am running windows 11. When i look at it in the device manager it looks like two com ports. They both have the same PID

6018.  I think when it is working correctly it should show 6017 (for the JTAG side) and 6018 for the UART side.  The second port

does not seem to work as a UART and of course the JTAG is a non starter.  So I suspect I need to flash it with some new firmware.

I tried the sketchy and scary Zadig jive it times out on both the Win11 and Win10.   I have 

So after too much (but likely not enough info)..

How do I flash the part?

or

should I just pack it in and go another route?

I realized I never formally downloaded the Blackmagic-master.

so I just ran the script and this happened:

PS C:\Esp\frameworks\esp-idf-v4.4.1> dfu-util -d 1d50:6018,1d50:6017 -s0x02000:leave -D C:\Users\dave\Downloads\blackmagic-master\blackmagic-master\src\blackmagic.bin
dfu-util 0.9

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2016 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to http://sourceforge.net/p/dfu-util/tickets/

Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
Opening DFU capable USB device...
ID 1d50:6018
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Runtime Interface...
Determining device status: state = appIDLE, status = 0
Device really in Runtime Mode, send DFU detach request...
Device will detach and reattach...
Cannot open DFU device 1d50:6017
Lost device after RESET?
PS C:\Esp\frameworks\esp-idf-v4.4.1>

It did something but still both PIDs are 6018 and version v1.6.2

26 minutes ago, jason said:

dfu-util --device ,1d50:6017 -s 0x00002000:leave -D src/blackmagic.bin

try this

PS C:\Esp\frameworks\esp-idf-v4.4.1> dfu-util --device ,1d50:6017 -s 0x00002000:leave -D C:\Users\dave\Downloads\blackmagic-master\blackmagic-master\src\blackmagic.bin
dfu-util 0.9

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2016 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to http://sourceforge.net/p/dfu-util/tickets/

Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
No DFU capable USB device available

I don't think it likes me anymore. I get the same response if I try the 6018 PID.  If I've popped it I dont mind buying another one.

Thanks for getting back to me!!

You can let go of the button after you plug it in after waiting a second or two. You should see a different usb product ID show up.

PID_6018 for the main app

PID_6017 for the DFU

I think you need the driver installed for both in windows. If you have linux, you might have an easier time.

I think it's because you need to have the windows driver installed. Or re-run as an administrator. Windows is a piece of dog shit for stuff like this. This is why all my products use HID and all my apps can talk to them driverless. Because I'm 100% done with drivers in windows. I've spent enough time on the phone helping people with 'unknown device' in device manager trying to force install my own drivers.

I just got my second one in.  As expected it has the same problem. 

One difference was when I first plugged it in to the Windows 10 machine it did a little dance and acted like it might have updated the firmware but no, It has the same problem. 

It's been a while since i did an substantial Linux stuff. the only operating Linux machine I have is a raspberry pi. I tried but for me that is a giant pain.

How about  I mail you both of the devices and you can update them for me? 

Hopefully 

Dave

HI Jason,

I have flashed both of my devices to: Black Magic Probe (SAMD2), (Firmware v1.6.2-5-gca7bf01)

I still see 2 serial ports at 6018 none at 6017.  When I hold the switch down to put it in bootloader mode, I see a single device at 6017, but that is useless for debugging.

Is this the correct firmware now?

Am I misunderstanding how this thing is supposed to  work?

Thanks

Dave 

Yes, the two serial ports are correct.

Yes, this is most likely the issue. You need an ELF file. Then you can start up gdb and point to the elf file:

You start gdb and point to the elf file:

arm-none-eabi-gdb 'elf file you want to flash'

Now from GDB, you can connect to an attached device. Attach the JTAG cable to the target. But you need to tell GDB where to go, so let's point it to the serial port:
  target extended-remote /dev/cu.usbmodemJEFF1

(I'm not sure what the destination is on windows, but replace /dev/cu....)

Then tell the probe what kind of JTAG you want to use, probably 2 wire serial:
  monitor swdp_scan

Assuming you see the target, you can attach to it:
  attach 1

Then you can load the file:

load

You can now walk through and step through various aspects of code, assuming the elf file has debug symbols in it. We're going to start diving into advanced firmware topics, and I'm not sure your experience. 

Here is the documentation, for the same product the firmware is derived from: https://github.com/blackmagic-debug/blackmagic

They have a lot of documentation, and a wiki to get started.

Thanks, good to know I was barking up the wrong tree. For years I have been debugging using JTAG probes. Usually on Kinetis parts using their own hacked up version of eclipse. I am new to the openDCD and raw GDB debugging. But all the documentation makes it look easy once i get the JTAG thing up and going.  Tomorrow I will have an new tree to bark at. Thanks for your help

Dave

• 4 weeks later...