Flirc Forums

Logitech Harmony One \ XBMC

samuk

HI,

I did ready through the pinned thread - but still have some questions..

I have a Acer Revo with XBMC - wanted to get a remote working so that my kids can use the system without hassle..

I did have a apple remote - but they are so small i just keep loosing it!!

So i have a Harmony One Remote... 

Is this right?

• I initially set up a device for this using the Harmony Software  (Will use TV as the example) - the buttoms will actually not control any device at this stage.
  • Do i then use Flirc to setup the remote...?

Is it as simple as that?

Will be trying this this evening.. 

Any help pointers appreciated ..

Sam

First, it's "losing". "Loosing it" is what I did to my best friends sister. 

NOW, that we're past that, Yes, that sounds right. Besides using TV as an example. Use VCR, because, who has a VCR anymore? I lke to think it stands for Video Controlling Remote now. 

lol

cool thanks

from the flirc software - what controller type do i choose? Windows Media or XBMC?

Will flirc software have to always be running for the remote to work..

Remember, Flirc emulates a keyboard so no matter what controller you pick it will still be sending keyboard signals. The presets just make it easier by finding out the keyboard shortcuts for you. In the case of xbmc preset there are a few errors (back and exit are both erroniously mapped to backspace) also you may find not all buttons are on there. The basics are certainly covered though :)

A good guide is here to what those commands are:
http://forum.xbmc.or...32922#pid732922

As xbmc sends keyboard commands I find a more appropreiate way to match things is the keyboard shortcut wiki page:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keyboard

Each to their own though :)

Just reread your two posts on this topic....

You don't have a Flirc do you?

The Harmony is the remote that sends an IR signal,

The Flirc is the device that receives an IR signal on your PC and converts it to a keyboard command.

Without actually buying a Flirc the Flirc software is useless to you.

Without an IR receiver of some type the Harmony is useless at controlling your PC.

Remember, Flirc emulates a keyboard so no matter what controller you pick it will still be sending keyboard signals. The presets just make it easier by finding out the keyboard shortcuts for you. In the case of xbmc preset there are a few errors (back and exit are both erroniously mapped to backspace) also you may find not all buttons are on there. The basics are certainly covered though :)

As xbmc sends keyboard commands I find a more appropreiate way to match things is the keyboard shortcut wiki page:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keyboard

Each to their own though :)

Yeah I see your point but the forum page I linked to was quite good at mapping out a reasonable starting point for which commands to which button on the Harmony, excellent for lazy people like me! ;)

Don't forget Chris! You're talking to the man who stuck his Flirc in a Devonshire Clotted Cream Fudge tin and has since wrapped it in Aluminium foil whilst awaiting a replacement. Don't expect any logic!

Samuk read my post in this thread!

You NEED a flirc.

Just reread your two posts on this topic....

You don't have a Flirc do you?

The Harmony is the remote that sends an IR signal,

The Flirc is the device that receives an IR signal on your PC and converts it to a keyboard command.

Without actually buying a Flirc the Flirc software is useless to you.

Without an IR receiver of some type the Harmony is useless at controlling your PC.