Flirc Forums

XBMC Android

comatose1978

Hi comatose1978,

welcome to flirc foforums.

Don't have Android my self so I am not 100% but flirc is HID to system,

so if Android OS supports HID devices, which I think it does I see no reason why not.

As far as programming flirc - you can program it on a nother machine ( not shore that there is an Android Ap for progrmaing) win, osx, linux.

Complete config is saved to flirc dongle so you just plug it from lets say your friens laptop with win 7 to your Android box and it will work.

If I am wrong somebody will surely correct me.

• Like 1

Be wary, I tried it on the Asus tablet we bought my parents (through the keyboard dock - that has a USB port) and it didn't work - neither did a normal USB keyboard.

Might be the keyboard dock thing, might be a manufacturer thing.

Try with a USB keyboard before you buy

• 1 month later...

working very nicely on the odroid-u2 with android ics and xbmc.... still trying to figure out mapping some of the keys but otherwise working well.... have it setup with a harmony 300... sometimes it does double press or lags... but overall its great

Cool, it should hopefully work with Plex on the OUYA when it arrives.  Neat.

Yes, the flirc works well with XBMC Android. It seems to work with pretty much any remote (didn't like my old MCE remote though).

I am using a Android TV Dongle (rk30sdk) sporting a dual coreRK3066 processor with Jelly Bean 4.1.1

However, I am having an issue mapping a back button. The esc key works well normally in other flavours of XBMC is Raspberry Pi and Linux etc, but I cannot kind a key that works as a back key in XBMC Android.

I am also having same problems with mapping a key to return to home screen in XBMC Android, has anyone had any joy on this front?

• 2 weeks later...

It works quite well for me on an Ouya + XBMC.

Only bothering thing is that it seems there is some kind of undesired auto-repeat.

Seems ok under windows, but under Android, keys auto-repeat, and with a near zero delay.

Anyone else with this issue? Or, better, with a solution? ;)

I have also experienced the curious auto repeat under android. Re Chris and Jason's comments around keyboard.xml, there is no keyboard.xml in /data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/.

Bit frustated at present and have had to revert to an air mouse which works but needs a steady hand across the room.

I see there is a new beta in the works, is it planned for that to support mouse clicks?

I have also experienced the curious auto repeat under android. Re Chris and Jason's comments around keyboard.xml, there is no keyboard.xml in /data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/.

Oops! My bad. I don't think XBMC ships with them, you have to put one there if you want to change the default behaviour (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keymap#Location_of_keymaps).

You can download the keyboard.xml from the XBMC github repo: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/Eden/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml

May I ask how you navigated to " /data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/" I've got a Galaxy nexus but struggled to get anywhere, do you have to be rooted?

It works quite well for me on an Ouya + XBMC.

Only bothering thing is that it seems there is some kind of undesired auto-repeat.

Seems ok under windows, but under Android, keys auto-repeat, and with a near zero delay.

Anyone else with this issue? Or, better, with a solution? ;)

Do you have this auto-repeat issue when you plug the device into another system? May be an excuse for me to purchase an Ouya. Let me know. I guess this looks like an Android problem, unless I'm mistaken.

Do you have this auto-repeat issue when you plug the device into another system? May be an excuse for me to purchase an Ouya. Let me know. I guess this looks like an Android problem, unless I'm mistaken.

No, does seem ok on windows.

IIRC, I had the same effect on all Android boxes I tried, so probably something with Android in general, indeed.

Setting "interkey_delay" to 2 seems to nail it. As I said, the default "6" lead to sticky keys.

Great stuff!

Thanks for posting, i'm thinking about making some stickies (or something similar) for certain devices as they seem to have some quirks - i'll be sure to include this tip :)

How did everyone get an Ouya? I was going to try this but it's still on pre-order.

Hehe, being in the XBMC Team has advantages. Thanks a lot for your sponsorship, BTW :)

Besides the dev kits, they are currently shipping to the kickstarter backers. The non-kickstarter pre-orders will only be fulfilled starting June, Ithink.