Flirc Forums

Software won't recognize flirc as connected

tcomparri

Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere, but I'm having trouble getting the flirc software to recognize that the device is actually connected. I used the zadig tool to create the signed driver, and it appears to be working correctly when checking the device manager, but the software to program it says that it's disconnected. I was able to install and get the software to recognize the flirc on an older Windows 7 machine, but not on the one I actually need it to work on (windows 8, ASRock H77M motherboard with USB 3.0 ports).

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, frustrating. Next thing to do would be to check whether the flirc is working.

Have you got another computer you could test it on to see if the same thing happens (preferably a different hardware configuration).

Sorry you haven't had the best Flirc experience - don't worry though, we won't leave you hanging :)

Doh! You mentioned that in your first post - sorry for asking again.

Could you try and program it on the windows 7 machine then try and use Flirc (without the set-up software) on the windows 8 machine? (as the settings are stored in Flirc)

That way you could use flirc to control the machine but you would have to use another machine to make changes to any buttons and have a mostly working Flirc for now.

I'll notify Jason again to see if he has any pearls of wisdom.

I also have an ASrock H77M motherboard and I am having the same issue. However, I am using USB 2.0 ports. The motherboard has a onboard CIR connection that connects to the front USB 2.0 port. It is my understanding this enables remote to power on the PC. I have disabled CIR in bios and also tried the Flirc on different ports and it still fails to recognize the device. Any ideas?

• 1 year later...

In order to program Flirc from a debian Linux OS such as Ubuntu, you must do so as a privileged user.  try "sudo Flirc" from command line in your terminal and the status should show as connected and there is no need to use a second computer.  If you are advanced with Linux configuration, you can configure your user account to have "root" privileges but that decreases system security.  

TO ADMINISTRATOR: As a fellow Linux developer, I would recommend that the Flirc binary ask for administrator password and run as root automatically to make programming Flirc seamless on ANY Linux OS where sudo is allowed.  Have a great day everyone!   - Double T - doublet30@hotmail.com

an alternative to changing the Flirc binary is to make two separate deb packages with bash scripts calling the correct graphical sudo program and flirc.deb as a dependency.  For example...

#flirc-kde

#!/bin/bash

exec "kdesu Flirc"

#flirc-gtk

#!/bin/bash

exec "gksu Flirc"

and install with "sudo apt-get install flirc-gtk" (this is where apt-get will ask for permission to install gksu and flirc.deb as dependencies and yada yada yada)