Flirc Forums

apple remote + acer revo + windows 8 + xbmc

rhodesfreak

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a flirc dongle to use in the following hardware combination: apple remote + acer revo + windows 8 + xbmc, will this work flawlessly?

I just sold my mac mini and bought the new revo from acer and I would like to keep the remote (works pretty nice in xbmc).

Can I expect it will work as good as with the mac mini on this windows based htpc?

Thanks in advance

rhodesfreak

Hi rhodesfreak,

It will work.

However flirc doesn't produce a different function if the key is held down (I forget if this is the case with the mac or just with apple tv),

e.g. on appletv - press up and it will scroll through a list, hold down up and it adjusts volume

on flirc - press up and it will scroll through a list, hold down up and it scrolls through a list quicker

does this help?

I guess the best way to think about is the consider how many buttons there are on the apple remote then that flirc translates a button press on your remote to a keyboard press.

You could use it to open XBMC but would likely lose the use of that button as it can only have one keyboard button assigned to it.

Of course you can try and make that one button have more than one function inside and outside XBMC but I think for the purposes of purchasing enquires I would say no.

Does this help?

Please feel free to ask anymore questions :)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a flirc dongle to use in the following hardware combination: apple remote + acer revo + windows 8 + xbmc, will this work flawlessly?

I just sold my mac mini and bought the new revo from acer and I would like to keep the remote (works pretty nice in xbmc).

Can I expect it will work as good as with the mac mini on this windows based htpc?

Thanks in advance

rhodesfreak

did you get the revo working working wit Windows 8?

Everywhere i read - people say too many issues with this and to stick with windows 7..

Sam