Flirc Forums

Flirc presses keys without me using the remote

bugmenot

Just checking back in...it sounded a couple of weeks ago like a firmware update was imminent. 

You are right. The a newer Beta GUI was released and also Windows 8 installer (this was a big one), can only assume it was delayed due to time constraints getting it right. 

Just wanted to report back that I've been using a 6' usb extension cable to test putting the Flirc in different places. Everytime I think it is acting normally, it doesn't take long to start receiving phantom "Enter" keypresses. I leave a Notepad window open to see what it's doing. One weird thing I noticed is that if I rub the Flirc between my fingers the cursor jumps around like crazy. When I stop, the cursor stops moving. What could cause that, static electricity?

• 1 month later...

Full time Job + Flirc + newborn baby = 0 time  :(

I'm forever sorry for the delay, this was absolutely not intentional.

I finally had time to merge this into the branch, add the appropriate settings, and get this into the release candidate fw v1.1.0 

The firmware is bundled with the GUI: 

You have to enable this feature!! Please read the instructions:

Instructions to give this a try:

1) Download the

2) Launch the GUI, the gui will detect you don't have the latest supported firmware, and automatically upgrade for you

3) Launch the CLI bundled with the GUI and run:

flirc_util noise_canceler enable

Verify! The below output shows me noise canceling is enabled.

flirc_util settings
Settings:
  sleep detection: Disabled
  noise canceler:  Enabled
  inter-key delay: 6
  keys recorded:   0
  keys remaining:  169
  memory used:     0%
No Keys Found

You should not have to re-record buttons. If you do record buttons with this enabled, you will get less spurious noise recorded. (hopefully none).

Provide feedback regarding this issue in here: http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/forum/58-v110-rc/

Otherwise, it's very easy for me to loose track of issues and which firmware/gui/cli version they correspond too. I'm going to get better about that as well as tracking known problems, and providing feedback of implementation schedules.

• 2 weeks later...

A little post for info : I had noise problems with my flirc recording keys almost immediately without pressing any key, and after enabling the noise canceller from the last RC2, everything records now perfectly.

Thank you very much Jason

I confirm this! I had the exact same problem, and didn't even had to run the noise canceler to record the inputs. 

Upgrading firmware was enough!

Thank you!

A little post for info : I had noise problems with my flirc recording keys almost immediately without pressing any key, and after enabling the noise canceller from the last RC2, everything records now perfectly.

Thank you very much Jason

I confirm this! I had the exact same problem, and didn't even had to run the noise canceler to record the inputs. 

Upgrading firmware was enough!

Thank you!

Just got my Flirc yesterday, and haven't been able to enjoy using it...  :unsure:

First I got the issue described in this forum entry, not using a remote still causes Flirc to simulate key presses...

Than after a GUI & Firmware as specified in this forum, I now have the repeat behavior... This happens a lot, but doesn't seem to be consistent.

Please help!!

In the mean time, I will try to reapply the firmware... just in case, it shows something like 255.1 in the GUI which sounds weird.

Edit: According to the GUI it's "rmware 255.1" but the utils shows it's 255.11. You might want to update the GUI  :D

I have the same issue and glad others have it too. I thought it was related to ambiant light in the room. I turned on and off lights etc. Still had the same issue. It does make it unusable. I am using Harmony 650, I have the flirc device from the my harmony site. I fiddled only with the delay values and such on the Flirc device but it didn't impact it at all.

It is just odd that it is so temperamental. Help!

I have the same issue and glad others have it too. I thought it was related to ambiant light in the room. I turned on and off lights etc. Still had the same issue. It does make it unusable. I am using Harmony 650, I have the flirc device from the my harmony site. I fiddled only with the delay values and such on the Flirc device but it didn't impact it at all.

It is just odd that it is so temperamental. Help!

I got my forum bugs messed up. Have you guys tried the beta? I have a fix for this. You have to enable the feature in the CLI. The next GUI release will be able to manipulate these settings from within the app. No more commandline.

Well I'm stumped.... Just spent a day trying to work around this issue, and no luck.....

Pretty simple setup,

3ish year old core2duo dell pc running

Windows 7 x64 running xbmc frodo

Panasonic 42" plasma

Inititially I tried using my harmony 650 remote, tried both recommended tv profiles, and the flirc xbmc profile, programming the flirc on both 0.9.7 firmware and 1.1 beta, also played around with harmony input delay settings as per some other forum posts. No luck on any combination, always ended up with multiple keypresses, usually one of the direction keys, making navigation impossible.

Next step was to ditch the harmony as others are reporting multiple issues, and just try the actual tv (panasonic) remote. Loaded it up and programmed it with both 0.9.7 and 1.1 beta, noise cancellation on and off for both programming and control, tried full keyboard and simple, all the same result, multiple keypresses, and no ability to navigate. Tried programming in situ, and on laptop in dark room, no difference.

I had originally ordered 3 flircs, so tried another in the originals place, changing usb ports and still no joy.... Seems like the multiple keypresses are inevitable with every combination I can possibly try. Hope a solution presents itself, was hoping to use these to simplify my 3 htpcs controls....

patchseven, when you try with the 1.1 beta firmware, you have to enable the feature via the command line utilities (this is not included in the GUI). It worked for my harmony 785.

Yes, I am fully aware of this, as stated I have run with noise_canceler enabled and disabled as part of my testing. Also aware of the fact to keep this setting enabled the USB needs to be removed and reinserted after enabling it through CLI, and that wiping configuration through the GUI will also disable the feature. 

Just tried again with harmony 650, using the reccomended samsung TV profile, repeats set to 0, input delay 0, input repeat 500ms, flirc 1.1, noise_canceler enabled, and then programmed arrows, enter and back through the gui.

Booted up xbmc, and control was sluggish, then after a little bit of navigating, multiple repeating inputs in one direction....

ok so I have got it working now. In the CLI, i changed the delay to 1. The noise option i had enabled but this didn't allow me to move around at all (non responsive). So I disabled it again (as it is at default). It works fine now with no repeating. It is a tad slow... so I put it up to 2 on the delay, and the issue appeared again. So I am sticking where I am now.

So this is my setup...

- latest firmware. Did not program any buttons.

- in CLI just edited the delay from 6 to 1.

- Using harmony 650 with Flirc device via myharmony in my activity.

I think if the CLI commands can be put into the GUI this will help a lot. More info one the options too would be good.

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. Was pulling my hair out figuring why when watching content it would randomly pause, go to different XBMC sreens etc. Turns out a number of ghost/repeated keystrokes were being sent. I do have one issue that I bring forward. On my Sony Bravia televison if i enable the Light Sensor on the eco setting menu the remote will not work properly with the Flirc. Menus pop up , flicker, or remote will not work at all on the HTPC .  Somehow the tv light sensor is muckiing up the flirc.

• Like 1

Just came back again to check if any progress was made, I did try the beta in july with noice-cancelling which didn't help.

But I did notice an improvement when changing the delay, like 'ijeffrey',but it still isn't right.

Is there anything being done on this issue?

Do you need more input? Can we help you somehow to tackle this issue?

One thing I am sure off, is that the flirc receiver is picking up the "ir" noice that my plasma (Panasonic) generates...

Is there a way to reduce the sensitivety?

P.S.

If you need help with the GUI, I have experience with writing .NET applications (I am one of the 3 developers of http://getgreenshot.org).

I have 3 flircs; two in use and the third I am just setting up. My first is for my htpc in basement which I have had for about 2 years with no issues. The second is in the 2nd floor bedroom which my wife uses for her htpc. The one in the bedroom until just recently never worked right due to phantom and run away key presses. My wife just basically gave up. I tried everything to fix the problem including swapping the two flircs with no luck. Eventually I came to the conclusion that it was somehow environmental and that stay light, sun light and/or reflections were the cause. Finally about a month ago I tried one more time to figure out the issue and this time I did. It now works perfectly and has been for a month.

I see many people here complain about very similar issues so I'll share my fix and maybe it will help others.

Basically. I put shades on the flirc. It is far too sensitive to stray light and reflections. I did this two ways.

1) I took an old DVD player and removed the plastic piece on the front where the display and IR receiver are. It is a coated piece of opaque plastic about 1/8 of an inch thick. I used a fine hack saw to cut a tiny piece that fit nicely over the front of the flirc. If you look through this piece at a lamp you will see it blocks much of the light. The plastic is opaque but also has a coating on one side. I expect it has special properties to block many wavelengths expect for the one used by the IR receiver.

2) I then took black electrical tape and completely taped up the entire flirc and even left about 1/4 inch of tape over hang the front of the plastic piece I put on the front.

Finally I positioned the modified flirc in a recessed place a couple of inches behind the TV stand.

My yearlong flirc issues are now solved. It works perfectly and the wife is happy. Even with the thick black piece of plastic, the flirc functions perfectly from across the room. No sensitivity is lost.

I hope this might help some of you.

• Like 2

I have 3 flircs; two in use and the third I am just setting up. My first is for my htpc in basement which I have had for about 2 years with no issues. The second is in the 2nd floor bedroom which my wife uses for her htpc. The one in the bedroom until just recently never worked right due to phantom and run away key presses. My wife just basically gave up. I tried everything to fix the problem including swapping the two flircs with no luck. Eventually I came to the conclusion that it was somehow environmental and that stay light, sun light and/or reflections were the cause. Finally about a month ago I tried one more time to figure out the issue and this time I did. It now works perfectly and has been for a month.

I see many people here complain about very similar issues so I'll share my fix and maybe it will help others.

Basically. I put shades on the flirc. It is far too sensitive to stray light and reflections. I did this two ways.

1) I took an old DVD player and removed the plastic piece on the front where the display and IR receiver are. It is a coated piece of opaque plastic about 1/8 of an inch thick. I used a fine hack saw to cut a tiny piece that fit nicely over the front of the flirc. If you look through this piece at a lamp you will see it blocks much of the light. The plastic is opaque but also has a coating on one side. I expect it has special properties to block many wavelengths expect for the one used by the IR receiver.

2) I then took black electrical tape and completely taped up the entire flirc and even left about 1/4 inch of tape over hang the front of the plastic piece I put on the front.

Finally I positioned the modified flirc in a recessed place a couple of inches behind the TV stand.

My yearlong flirc issues are now solved. It works perfectly and the wife is happy. Even with the thick black piece of plastic, the flirc functions perfectly from across the room. No sensitivity is lost.

I hope this might help some of you.

Would love to see a picture of this. Thanks so much for sharing and helping others.

• 2 months later...

I'm reading through the forums looking for a solution to my intermittent key repeating using a SKY+ remote with a Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC XBMC.  

The more I read the more I feel (some of?) the issues are caused by IR interference. I experienced this years ago with a simple IR repeater and was surprised when I saw the clear plastic design of the FLIRC as normally the 'red' plastic in front of the IR receiver acts as a filter to unwanted IR wavelengths outside of the standard IR wavelengths which would then also cause insensitivity due to background sunlight or the noise produced by Plasma and LCD screens. I assume the unwanted IR can also end up with a command being repeated as the FLIRC thinks it is still receiving the IR command when it may just be unfiltered noise?

The post above by Boltron also points to this physical issue. Were any steps taken to physically limit unwanted IR light, which we find all around us, being received by the IR detectors?

• 2 weeks later...

Am also having this problem. Have noticed that extra keys are recorded to other buttons. Even after clearing everything those extra keys get recorded. Agree it might be a button speed issue when recording.

Also noticed that who using the FLIRC I get a multiple response like it is too sensitive. Have not tried turning in the noise filter yet because it's just almost working.

Looking forward to the new firmware when it comes out.

Am also having this problem. Have noticed that extra keys are recorded to other buttons. Even after clearing everything those extra keys get recorded. Agree it might be a button speed issue when recording.

Also noticed that when using the FLIRC I get a multiple response like it is too sensitive. Have not tried turning on the noise filter yet because it's just almost working.

Also noticed that when using the FLIRC I get a multiple response like it is too sensitive. Have not tried turning on the noise filter yet because it's just almost working.

You can't press two button during the record process and have both those buttons be recorded. The firmware only records one button. Try the beta firmware, and try enabling the noise filter. I think you're problems will be fixed. Also, don't muck with the sensitivity setting in the commandline. That was mostly experimental.

• 2 weeks later...