Flirc Forums

Cant get macros to work properly

arcspin

Hi,
I'm in  the process of making som sweet macros but I can't seem to get them to work as I want.

This is what I try to do in the command line utility:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Flirc\flirc_util.exe" record F10
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Flirc\flirc_util.exe" record F11

I do get the:  Successfully recorded button while doing this.

These two are mapped to one key and when I press the remote key the first "F10" activates but not "F11".
However when I press the same remote key again "F11" activates.

Meaning that I have to press the same remote key twice to get this macro to work.

What do I need to do to get this macro to work with only one remote key press?

PS,

I have setup Short press and Long press with good results:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Flirc\flirc_util.exe" record play/pause
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Flirc\flirc_util.exe" record_lp stop

Short press and long press works as advertised.

Best regards and I'm happy to have found Flirc!

//Peter

OK, so what's the setup code for the device you're using for Flirc? Did you set it up as an MCE remote?

The MCE protocol (and some others too) uses a toggle bit in the signal, which toggles on each key press. This means if you press the same button two times then each time the signal sent is going to be a little different. Flirc sees these signals as two different ones. So you actually didn't create a macro, but you've recorded F10 for one variant of the signal and F11 for the second one.

I think the best approach would be to reconfigure your remote to use something else than MCE. Possibly something without a toggle bit.

BTW are you using a RemoteMaster software to modify your remote's settings?

Hi,

I use another remote to get some dummy ir codes to use that not will interfer with the rest of my equipment. Remote towards remote and than learning mode so to speak.

I do not use MCE and I do not use Remotemaster.

Ok, but the lines of codes that I use is correct?

I will try some other ir-codes and read up on my remote use toggle.

Edited by arcspin

I think it would be much better if you used a code entry method to set your remote. I've checked the quick setup guide for the URC-6810 and it is possible (it uses some keys as numbers when you enter a setup code). You should also have a code book included in the manual for the remote. If you don't have the manual, then it can be downloaded (together with the code book) from the OneForAll website.

If you want to try this approach, then select an equipment brand you don't have any hardware from. For example, if you don't have anything from LG, then use codes for LG hardware. I'd suggest one of these: LG, Samsung, Panasonic. You can try multiple codes to find one that works best for you.

Regarding the commands you've listed, using record command second time with the same remote button should exit with an error, that the button is already recorded. To create a macro, first use a record command like you've done, but then add another key to the macro using record_macro command.

Thank I will try that. I assume the code book codes can individualy be maped to separate keys. I do not want the entire remote to be locked to one specific brand.

However some remote keys are in use for my regular AV equipment. For example projector on/off, Receiver volume up/down and so on.

Ok, I do not really follow.

I have to tie up two remote keys to get the macro to work?

Is there a step by step tutorial, I have followed the Flirc manual and that resulted in me seeking help here.

No, you record the same remote button twice. First time you need to use record with a key that you want as a 1st in a macro (for example F10). Then you do (for example) record_macro F11 and then press the same remote button as for the F10. The record_macro command adds another keyboard key on top of already recorded ones for the same remote button.

BTW I usually differentiate between keyboard and remote like this:keys on the keyboard -> keys (or keyboard keys); keys on the remote -> buttons (or remote buttons).

As for the remote setup, I'm not 100% sure as I don't have this model. I have few remotes from the UEI (a company behind the One For All brand) and they all share some features, but this one seems to be quite unusual. Anyway, according to the manual, the remote supports up to 3 physical devices and assigns buttons by color to these devices (third one is an audio device and overrides the volume buttons). You should read through the manual to fully understand what your remote is capable of.

Setup codes set specific part of the remote, not just a single button. Even if you set your remote using the setup codes from the book, you can always overwrite specific buttons by recording a signal from another remote. Recorded signals take precedence before an original function.

Hi,

Yes, my mistake regarding keys and buttons. You are correct.

I have tried programming a remote button as follows:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Flirc\flirc_util.exe" record_macro F11

Sorry to say the F10 do work but there is no follow up with F11.

However If I program a remote button as follows:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Flirc\flirc_util.exe" record F11

The first button press triggers F10 and the second button press triggers F11.
This is a workaround that will do for now and works per your description regarding that Flirc sees two separate signals.

Thank you for the tip regarding several different devices that can be programmed into this one remote. I have to figure that out more in detail.

Open the Flirc GUI application and go to File menu and select Device Log. In the Log window, check "Enable IR Debugging". Then press few times the button on the remote that you're trying to set the macro on. Then disable the IR Debugging and save the log to file and post it here.

OK, it's like I've said before. The signal you've recorded is using an RC6 protocol. It is an IR control protocol created by Philips. Actually Microsoft's MCE protocol is based on RC6 (it's in the same family).

I've decoded the signal. It toggles between:
- protocol = RC6, device = 0, obc = 10, misc = T=0
- protocol = RC6, device = 0, obc = 10, misc = T=1

As you can see the T param (from toggle) changes between 0 and 1. This causes the waveform of the signal to change slightly and it's recognised by Flirc as two different buttons.

So either you need to use the setup code on your remote or find some non-RC6 remote to learn from. The brands I've mentioned before are a good candidate because there's a high possibility that they are using a NEC family protocol, which works really well with Flirc.

Great and thank you for this insight.

I will most definitely try and change  the setup on my remote to one of the suggested ones (LG, Samsung, Panasonic) and see how that goes.

I´ll report back later with results, might take a couple of days before I have the time to do this properly.

Again, thanx for the support

//Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just want to reach out and tell that I have found an old Panasonic remote and when I reconfigured the buttons on my "oneforall remote URC 6810" with new ir-codes from my old Panasonic remote everything works correct.

Again, thank you for your help.

//Peter

Edited by arcspin