Flirc Forums

Best setup for X-Sight remote and Shield TV

RKCRLR

I recently purchased a FLIRC receiver (don't have it yet but I'd like to get prepared).  

I'll be using it with a Shield TV running Kodi and an X-Sight universal remote.  I use JP1 files so the remote can be configured as practically any remote control.  What would be the best remote control configuration to start with?  I'm also for tips on setting up the FLIRC for Kodi.  

Thanks

Edited by RKCRLR

There's no protocol executor for this remote which would use native Flirc protocol (I've been able to create one for maxq622 processor used in URC-6440 remote), so you need to use one of the standard protocols.

I think the best way is to create custom device upgrade in RemoteMaster yourself. Select NECx2 protocol with some random device and subdevice values (eg 251 and 200) and add as many functions as you want with unique OBC values. Then map some functions to buttons and other to the soft buttons on the screen.

After that teach your Flirc using Flirc software to react to your remote.

I did something similar for a cheap streaming box that I run LibreELEC on and used the Kodi key mapping function.  I guess I could use that as a starting point for some commonality (its in another room). 

Someone made a device upgrade for the Shield by learning from a Harmony remote.  Would that be a better choice or does it matter?  

Thanks

Edited by RKCRLR

Does your ShieldTV have an IR receiver? Or is it one of the newer ones without it?

If it does have the IR receiver and you want to use Flirc only for extra keys you want to map in Kodi, then you should start with ShieldTV device upgrade, add more keys to it and then teach your Flirc only the extra keys.

If it doesn't and you plan to control your whole ShieldTV with Flirc, then it doesn't matter what you're going to start with. You should choose a well supported protocol (like the NECx2 I've mentioned in my previous post) and choose device/subdevice numbers that won't conflict with your other hardware.

Flirc is a learning device. The Flirc software let you map keyboard keys to remote buttons. It has native support for two protocols: a proprietary Flirc protocol (used in Harmony remotes) and MCE, and they are used in the built-in profiles - a pre-configured set of mappings for use with Harmony. Other than that, the Flirc doesn't make any assumptions regarding the remote control. It does what you configure it to do.

I have a strange problem.  Whenever I turn my Onkyo TX-NR 646 receiver off or on (with either the factory remote or my universal remote) the Flirc sends a 'Enter' command to the Shield.  The receiver has discrete on and off as well as on/off toggle and all 3 of these different codes send the 'Enter' command.  And none of these codes have the same device, subdevice, or OBC codes as the one I chose for 'Enter' for the Shield. 

I've turned off CEC in both the receiver and Shield.  If I remove the Flirc from the Shield this stops.  

I thought I'd get your input before I randomly start trying things.  

Edit

I tried relearning the 'Enter' key and nothing changed.  And I've found that a bunch of the receiver remote buttons send commands to the Shield.  

Edited by RKCRLR

I clicked on Erase in the Flirc GUI and pressed the Onkyo receiver OEM remote power button.  The GUI acknowledged the command.  The Onkyo power button still performs an enter command on the Shield. 

I tried erasing all of the receiver power buttons on the X-Sight remote using the GUI.  The power buttons on both the OEM Onkyo remote and the X-Sight remote (in receiver mode) still perform an enter command.  And the enter button on the Onkyo remote also performs an enter command in several modes.  

I tried erasing the the Shield enter button on the Flirc.  The enter button on the X-Sight remote no longer performs an enter command but the receiver power buttons still perform an enter command. 

Now what?

Thanks

PS The bottom of the Flirc GUI is cut off on my Windows 10 tablet making it difficult to read the messages at the bottom.  Is there a way top correct that?  

Edited by RKCRLR

Ok, try erasing your Flirc configuration (save it first so you can then restore it). Then try with fully erased Flirc if it still reacts.

There's probably some hash overlap with signals from your remotes.

Regarding the Flirc GUI, the only way right now is to change scaling setting in Windows screen settings.