Flirc Forums

"Load Configuration" Does Not Work

ankurgupta1

So I tried uploading the media keys beta firmware via the GUI after saving my configuration. Once the firmware was uploaded, I loaded my configuration and it said "File Restored", but then none of the buttons did anything. I tried remapping a button that I knew was already configured and it said "Recorded Successfully", which means nothing was mapped there before. It should have complained that it already existed.

I thought this may have been an issue with the beta firmware so I downgraded back to the stable 1.0 firmware and tried loading it again and the same issue occurred. I even used the Flirc Utilities software to see what commands it was seeing when I pushed a button and it saw nothing. So basically I can't restore my original configuration, which means I need to remap all the buttons again.

Any idea why this may be happening?

I just tried it out. Mapped my keys while in v1, then upgraded to the media keys beta and tested out the buttons in the Utilities program and none of the buttons worked which means I lost the configuration. I tried loading the configuration and it still didn't recognize any of the button presses. So yes, it is losing whatever configuration is on it when I upgrade, and then I can't restore the configuration after the upgrade (upgrade/downgrade...basically whenever I flash the firmware).

• 1 month later...

I have this same problem. It works in Windows for me, but not on Linux (Ubuntu). Which is kind of a pain because my HTPC runs Ubuntu; I jump between XBMC and VDR and need to switch configs.

I even copied a config I saved in Windows to Ubuntu and it doesn't work. Which suggests there is a problem with loadconfig on the linux software.

I have this same problem. It works in Windows for me, but not on Linux (Ubuntu). Which is kind of a pain because my HTPC runs Ubuntu; I jump between XBMC and VDR and need to switch configs.

I even copied a config I saved in Windows to Ubuntu and it doesn't work. Which suggests there is a problem with loadconfig on the linux software.

I think it's a larger problem, as I am using Windows 7 and still can't get it to work.

• 3 months later...

The same problem just developed on one of my flircs too.

I have one remote (Logitech Harmony) and have two flircs programmed for it with the same keys.

What I did was the following:

I changed three buttons on the Harmony remote and then (re)programmed these buttons one of the two flircs. I saved the configuration when I was done. I then connected the flirc to another computer (where I run XBMC) and found that non of the keys were working, not even the keys that I hadn't changed.

I connected the other flirc (which wasn't reprogrammed) and it recognised all buttons.

I then connected the first flirc (the one that was reprogrammed) to the computer where I programmed it and found it also didn't work there. I got an error from windows that it couldn't load drivers for it, but after that Clearing the configuration and loading the new configuration didn't help. I also reloaded the firmware (v1.0) which didn't help. Then I loaded the previous configuration and that also didn't work. In the past I have succesfully loaded this configuration but this time it didn't work.

The flirc still accepts new programming but it has lost it's last programming and doesn't accept any stored configuration of that last programming nor any previous configuration I had.

What could be going on? Could it be that part of the flash memory is damaged and that reloading a previous configuration writes to recorded memory addresses (which might be damaged) while reprogramming writes to other, new addresses (that are still undamaged)?

I am not saying that the flashmemory is damaged, just looking for an explanation why it has forgotten it's current programming, doesn't load any configuration but does accept new programming.

Some info:

Computer I use to program Flircs: Windows 7 x64 SP1

Flircs: the one with the problem: firmware 1.0, the other one firmware "fw_wake_v6.bin"

This morning I completely reprogrammed the flirc and discovered something weird:

During programming, I can verify that recorded buttons work in notepad. If I remove the flirc and reconnect it while the flirc program is running, the recorded buttons no longer work. If I quit the flirc software before removing the flirc, the recorded buttons still work after reconnecting it.

So it seems that quiting the software is a necessary step to make sure the programmed keys are stored in the flash memory of the flirc. Even saving the configuration to file doesn't save it to the flirc. The weird thing is, before this I was quite sure that during programming flirc wrote every button to flash right after recording it.

So it seems that quiting the software is a necessary step to make sure the programmed keys are stored in the flash memory of the flirc. Even saving the configuration to file doesn't save it to the flirc. The weird thing is, before this I was quite sure that during programming flirc wrote every button to flash right after recording it.

Maybe there's been some confusion. The software is meant to be used for programming the Flirc module. Once you've finished programming, close the app (uninstall it if you like). Then use Flirc in any machine that supports a USB keyboard

I think there is a bit of an issue with loading configurations but as the firmware is being re-written at the moment I believe this is going to the fixed.

Thank you Chris for your reply.

WIth me, the confusion was that there is no save button, I don't mean save configuration, but "save to flirc" or "save to device".

The recorded keys are only written to the device when you quit the program, so I think it would me more intuitive to rename that option "quit and save" instead of just "quit".

Yes, the Flircs are fantastic. Much better than the MCE-IR receiver I used previously (and that one was more expensive).

Only problem remaining is with waking up the computer via Flirc. The flirc seems to wake the computer randomly, even with the remote not being used, and in a dark room. It's not a showstopper for my and probably new firmware will fix it.

I do have a suggestion for the software: It would be nice if one could easily review which buttons bound to which key(combination)s. Perhaps a list of all assignements, or maybe the onscreen keyboard could highlight already recorded keys. To further make the software more userfriendly, a review mode could be added in which the assigned keys on the onscreen keyboard would light up when the associated button on the remote is pressed.

For most technically experienced users, a simple list would suffice but these options might make the flirc more interesting for the average user as well.

Yes, the Flircs are fantastic. Much better than the MCE-IR receiver I used previously (and that one was more expensive).

Only problem remaining is with waking up the computer via Flirc. The flirc seems to wake the computer randomly, even with the remote not being used, and in a dark room. It's not a showstopper for my and probably new firmware will fix it.

I do have a suggestion for the software: It would be nice if one could easily review which buttons bound to which key(combination)s. Perhaps a list of all assignements, or maybe the onscreen keyboard could highlight already recorded keys. To further make the software more userfriendly, a review mode could be added in which the assigned keys on the onscreen keyboard would light up when the associated button on the remote is pressed.

For most technically experienced users, a simple list would suffice but these options might make the flirc more interesting for the average user as well.

Thanks for the feedback! :)