Flirc Forums

Kodi+Desktop simultaneously

tartalo

hi,

I have a linux system (opensuse) with 2 video outputs. One per hdmi to a LG TV of 50 "where almost always only kodi is displayed and another output to a 22" monitor that is the one that I use with opensuse daily.
I have Flirc gen1, the one that comes in the Streacom box.
Flirc is programmed with the keyboard commands that kodi uses, but if I want to use kodi and any other application of opensuse, for example surfing the network, it becomes a little complicated.
For example, if I'm browsing with Firefox over the network, firefox has the focus, and if my child is with the remote and gives the arrow up, firefox goes up and kodi does not know. My son asks, what happens, does kodi ignore?
So, I programmed a button on the remote so that when I clicked, kodi would receive the focus, but I do not think it would solve the problem ...
There has to be some way that the keyboard that simulates Flirc only had an effect on Kodi, but I can not get it.
It had occurred to me that in Kodi I could use a keyboard.xml and map the specific Flirc entries, but I can not do it. If I could add a prefix to the Flirc button, I could map the prefix + button to a kodi command ... but I do not know how to do it
Can someone help me please?
Thanks in advance

Hi,

How do you use your system remotely? If you use local X server and connect over SSH then there shouldn't be any interference. The same would be with older NX server/client. If you use something like TeamViewer for remote access then it would certainly behave like you've described.

I think you should look into multiseat scenarios in Linux. Basically one system can be used by multiple seats at the same time. Each seat has its own, separated inputs (mouse, keyboard) and environment (no focus stealing). I'm not very familiar with such setups though so I won't be able to help you with implementing it.

You can also look into other types of remote access, which don't emulate local inputs.

Hi,

I think I have not explained well.
I have no problem with remotely accessing to my system. The problem I have is that if I use Kodi at the same time and for example Firefox, in my HTPC at home, at the same time the remote control is used to, for example, go up and down the kodi menus and also the keyboard is used to create a post in a forum, the remote control, which simulates a keyboard, acts on the window with the focus and creating the post becomes impossible, because the courses go up and down.
The one that is using the remote control, does not see that kodi responds, because it does not have the focus at that moment.
What I'm looking for is a solution, to be able to use the remote control only with Kodi, similar to how I had in my old HTPC with Lirc

Hi,

You've explained it well enough the first time. And I stay by what written above. If you use a remote access method which interferes with the local access then you should look into separating local access into "seats". That way it should be possible to use Kodi with Flirc on one "seat", and whatever you want to use remotely on second "seat".

Or you can change the remote access method to something that doesn't interfere with local access.

For example, a VNC or TeamViewer would interfere with local access, but NX or X server over SSH wouldn't.

You could also try playing with triggerhappy daemon for example. It can capture input from selected sources (like a specific USB keyboard) and then somehow redirect it directly to Kodi so it doesn't matter whether it has focus or not. You probably could use the remote call API in Kodi. The same which is used by the mobile apps to control Kodi from a phone.