Flirc Forums

Control my Audio server with Harmony 900

Jmacknmo

I'm trying to set up my Harmony One & 900 to work with my Windows 10 laptop music server, specifically Media Monkey. The only things that seem to work is the Play, Pause, OK & the up & down arrow keys. The Back button skips back a few second & the Skip button brings up the Search function, not what it's supposed to do, but that's about all that works. None of the soft keys work and many of the hard keys don't even send a signal at all.

Has anyone set up their system to work with MediaMonkey, JRiver or foobar or any similar program.
Edited by Jmacknmo

Hi,

Any software you want to control with Flirc needs to support keyboard controls. So first of all you need to make sure the MediaMonkey can be fully (or at least at satisfactory level) controlled with just a normal (or multimedia) keyboard. As MediaMonkey is not directly supported in Flirc (no predefined controller in the Flirc GUI) you need to know the key shortcuts/key combinations for all functions in the software that you're interested in.

On the Harmony side, you can use one of the Flirc profiles, but you need to remember, that they are predefined for specific usages (Kodi, Media Center etc). This means that not all buttons on the remote are even mapped to some function and because of that they are disabled. You can still use them if you really want but you can also choose some 3rd party hardware profile, for example for some Samsung or LG TV (these usually work well with Flirc). Just remember to choose something you don't actually own (if you have Samsung TV, then don't use Samsung TV profile to use with Flirc).

On the Flirc side, start the Flirc GUI application. If you want to stick with Flirc profile on Harmony you probably should disable built-in profiles (as MediaMonkey is not supported by these anyway). In the GUI, go to Advanced settings (in menu) and uncheck all built-in profiles. If you choose something else than Flirc profile in Harmony, then you can skip the previous step. Then in Controllers menu, select Full Keyboard or Media Keys (you'll probably need both). Then select a key or key combination which controls some function in the MediaMonkey - you should be asked by the application to press some button on the remote. Press the button you want to assign to the function you've selected. And continue that way until you map everything you need.

If some buttons on the Harmony don't record then that means that the button is not used in the Harmony profile you've selected and is disabled (doesn't send any signal).

• Thanks 1

Fantastic! Thanks yawor. Works beautifully. I've set up all the hotkeys I need & a few just for fun. Now all I have to do is find the best device for my Harmony. I am using the Media Centre PC device, but I can probably find a more audio only device that will work better.

If I find a better device, can I use a saved config with the new desire? Not a big issue, but it would save a bit of time.

Edited by Jmacknmo
Additional question.