Flirc Forums

Having trouble with Flirc and my remote

Kaero

Just got my Flirc in the mail today and went to go set it up and I've been having all sorts of problems with it and my remote.

I've got a Blu-link VP3700 (and here is the manual for reference)

I installed the Flirc software and drivers, plugged it into my HTPC and proceeded to set up my remote for XBMC and, while at first it was working fine, when I got down to the media buttons on the remote (play, pause, fast foward ect.) they just weren't working so I thought that it might have been the device button I was programming the commands to (the DVR button), so I wiped it by entering the 9999 code and tried with the DVD/VCR button and it just didn't work at all. then tried AUX and it wasn't working either, then DVR once more and again, not working. After a few tries the Flirc program started telling me that buttons were already programmed and doing things on it's own.

I've tried wiping the configuration files in flirc, and I've tried programming my remote on a different PC in another room and on that PC it just didn't do anything at all. It's bothering me that it was working and then it just decided not to.

Any suggestions?

Hi Kaero, sorry to hear your having problems.

What we could do to start off with is to check the flirc and the computer are working well - have you got another remote control you can use to verify that it may be a remote control profile?

(All of this after clearing the configuration)

Pleasant regards,

Chris!

I got it working, I was originally putting my remote into learning mode which I now realize was stupid because Flirc isn't another remote. I ended up just punching in the code for a Motorola set top box and programming Flirc on top of that. Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh, and I did end up testing three other remotes. They registered as having the buttons mapped but didn't end up doing anything :P

Any planned support for long pressing a button coming? My only gripe is having to press buttons over and over to get to where I'm going :P

Glad you got it working.

As far as long press is concerned Jason does plan to refine it (see my signature) however the remote will still need to be sending out signals when held down.

Have you tried a different remote profile (normally TV profiles, opposite brand to the band of TV you have, work well)

Pleasant regards,

Chris!

I tried a few of the TV codes but none of them allowed me to set the media buttons on my remote to anything. I believe my remote disables any buttons that don't exist on the remote for the device it is used with. That's why I picked a set top box; they typically have media buttons for pausing and rewinding live TV, as well as most of the other important keys.

• 7 years later...

Hello!

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I was overjoyed to find a reference to my remote control!

I've been using the Blu-link VP3700 for a few years now with my home theater; we had been using a PS3 for our Blu-ray player and now I've moved on to a PS4 for that and so the dedicated PS3/Bluetooth button on that remote is now useless (it was never supposed to work with the PS4). I was hoping with the Flirc I could program another button to emulate a Blu-ray player and use the Playstation-style buttons on the remote.

Unfortunately it's not working fully. I used the PS4 preset in the latest firmware version but not all the buttons I programmed are being recognized. I can use my arrows and Enter key to move around the PS4 interface, but once I load a disc those keys don't work on the disc menu so I can't play a movie. I also programmed some buttons like the PS button and it seemed to take, but then it didn't work when I tried it on the Playstation. Couldn't get the "back" or Circle control programmed either which is super-necessary on the PS4.

That's my biggest issue, though it would be nice to be able to program the Circle, Triangle, Square and X buttons on the remote to their matching PS4 controller buttons in Flirc, but they won't take. I think that's a remote issue as maybe those buttons don't work unless you're actually connected to a PS3. Unless there's some device code that unlocks those buttons (I've tried a Sony DVD player code so far; there were no Blu-ray player codes in the manual back when this remote came out).

Anyway, I realize I may need to get a new universal remote but it would be nice to try and keep this one since my family is used to it. If there's a device code that would work here or another way to program the Flirc with this thing that I'm missing then I'm all ears!

(Also going to post as a General question -- don't want to double-post but not sure if this thread is dead or not)

JVK