Flirc Forums

total Noobs dont know where to start

j-pi

ok so my flicr just arrived in the mail i want to connected to my tvs remote(that is not compatible with the built in hdmi motes from pi)  standard ir 

i went to the flicr website and downladed the rasbian files but i dont know what to do with them where do i put them and how to run them from the kodi interface?

thanks

-j

Hi,

You should download a software package for your PC and use it to program your Flirc. Then plug it into the RPi. You don't need any additional software on the Pi itself. I don't know if I understood you correctly, but do you want to use your TV's remote to also control Flirc? Does it have an option to control another device? If not then I don't recommend it, because if you do that then every time you press some button both your TV and Pi will execute some action.

yeah the tv remote has options to sync with other devices kinda like an 4 in one thing..  so you are saying i need to install the software on my PC.. configure the flicr dongel on my pc and then plug it straight into the kodi pi without extra software on the pi ? the dongel remebers the configs?  what do i do then with the files for Pi the website offers and something about adding a Udev rule?

ok well i just solved my question fooling around with consel code.. so to do program the flicr with out gui you have to use flicr_utils record this will print out a list of variable functions ie

flicr_utils record: up, down, left, right etc... you have to go one by one pressing the botton everytime

You should have Flirc GUI if you've installed from package. I'm using Arch Linux but the package for my OS is built from the deb from Flirc's repository. If it's not added to your Window Manager's menu then try starting it from terminal using "Flirc" command (notice big F).

Regarding where the settings are kept, yes, they are saved in the chip on the device. You can use Flirc GUI and flirc_util to download and save them to a file as a backup and also load them from file and upload back to the device.

Don't worry about the RPi files. You can just ignore them.