Flirc Forums

Wake On USB , any signal from harmony wakes computer

GregL

Hi All,

I got this cool little device working great with Power off to S5 state and Power on from S5 State works perfect everytime using my Harmony Touch Remote!

I am so please with this, I almost bought another IR solution and drilled holes in my nice new HDplex H1.s case for the IR EYE,

but no need with my ASrock h270m-itx mother board and Flirc !!!

The ASrock h270m-itx supports power on via usb keyboard and usb mouse, I have both enabled.

The only issue I have is the system seems to power on via any signal from my harmony remote and flirc. I bound the flirc "wake" button on the flirc keyboard to the signal the gets sent from my harmony remote when I press my "Watch Movie" activity on the touch screen.

But not when I click "Watch TV" it wakes the pc as well, and I don't want this. I only want it to boot up when we click "Watch Movie" activity.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Hey Greg, I'm a bit backed up at the moment, but this is the current functionality. Soon, I will add a feature which will allow you to use a single key as the wakeup button, so the other buttons will be ignored.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm also going to add a section to my website that shows what I'm working on for better visibility. This is probably going to get done in the next couple weeks as a firmware update.

Thanks Greg, sorry for the inconvenience. 

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the quick response!!! Here's a thought, it might be a dumb question, but could be a simple solution. 

What format does Harmony sends it's commands, would it be classed as a keyboard or mouse click?

I'm wondering if it's because i got both enabled power on from usb keyboard and mouse .. If in my harmony activity I can say "Send" left mouse click OR "Send" keystroke for spacebar... then that signal would only be sent when I trigger the "Watch Movie".

AND if I can bind the wake button to that signal that would solve it :)

@GregL you need to give more information on your setup. What Harmony profile do you use with Flirc? Do you use one of the Flirc/* profiles on Harmony or something else? Did you use Flirc GUI to record the remote?

I see that you are little confused when it comes to how Flirc operates.

First of all, Flirc is a device which emulates an USB Keyboard. It maps signals from remote controls to key or key combination (key + one or more modifiers like alt, shift etc) presses. You use Flirc software to record the signals a remote sends and map them to specific keyboard keys.

Flirc has some built-in profiles which are hardcoded and they work out of the box with Harmony remotes. To use a built-in profile you need to select one of the Flirc profiles in your Harmony (for example Flirc/Kodi). This means that there's some amount of predefined IR signals which are known by Flirc and they are translated to specific keyboard key presses.

If you don't use one of the Flirc/* profiles in Harmony, then you need to use Flirc software to map your remote to specific keyboard keys.

Now to answer your questions:

Flirc is not classified as a mouse, so this is not something you should worry about right now. Every action Flirc does IS a keyboard keystroke. Flirc doesn't do anything else at this moment. So for any signal that Flirc recognises (one of the built-in or recorded ones) it sends a key press to the system.

Like @jason has already said, the option to limit keys which are allowed to wake will eventually be available, so you need to wait until then. For now make sure you don't send any signals that are known to Flirc if you don't want to wake/turn on your PC. So don't record a signal that is sent when you press Watch Movie activity. Flirc won't turn on your PC if you send a signal that is not recorded in it.

Hi yawor,

Thanks for the reply. I can wait for the update, I'm sure it will solve this for me :)

My set up is as follows:

Harmony Touch: Flirc/Kodi Profile

Mobo: Set to power on via USB Keyboard or USB Mouse

Flirc: Set to software keyboard

Wake button on flirc keyboard mapped to the click when I click on "Watch A Movie" activity on the remote touch screen. This could be the issue, I will look at the KODI profile closer, maybe there is a wake command already in the activity. If it gets fired while running the activity that would probably correct it without the update.

Power Off: Via a hot key combo on flirc software keyboard, mapped to the harmony remote off button, this triggers a shutdown command on a desktop shortcut. This is a great solution works every time. I think I may have to change this to some other command so kodi shuts down properly then windows shuts down. I'm not sure if the kodi softare will get corrupted some way if I just power off the pc, instead of exiting Kodi first.                           

Anyways, I'm really surprised at how stable this device is, I did not expect it to be so consistent! It never doesn't do what it's instructed to do. That's why I was asking, I'm sure this is just a configuration thing, because I'm new to Flirc :) 

On that note, I find it silly that Harmony can't be programmed easily to send keystrokes or mouse clicks! They have the activity functionality pretty solid, if they added keystrokes and mouse clicks you could do anything with this remote!

One more post to clear some things. There's no "software keyboard" mode in Flirc. What you're referring to is probably that you've selected the Full Keyboard controller in Flirc GUI. Switching controllers in the GUI doesn't do anything besides changing the view in the GUI. Controllers are just different views. Both Full Keyboard and Multimedia keys controllers give you access to all the keys. All other controllers (with some small exceptions) are just something like wrappers on full keyboard and multimedia controllers. They just provide preconfigured key combinations for specific applications or hardware. But they are still sending keyboard keystrokes. You can switch and mix keys from different controllers anyway you like.

I think the issue you have is with the "Power Off" key. You've probably set your "Watch a Movie" activity in a way that when you exit that activity the remote sends the power off command. Maybe it's also being sent on entering other activities which causes your PC to turn on (as explained earlier, right now any code recognised by Flirc will wake the PC). So when the PC is up, the power off will turn it off, but when it's already off the power off key right now will turn it on.

• 1 year later...
On 3/9/2017 at 12:22 PM, jason said:

Hey Greg, I'm a bit backed up at the moment, but this is the current functionality. Soon, I will add a feature which will allow you to use a single key as the wakeup button, so the other buttons will be ignored.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm also going to add a section to my website that shows what I'm working on for better visibility. This is probably going to get done in the next couple weeks as a firmware update.

Thanks Greg, sorry for the inconvenience. 

@jason was this firmware feature ever released?  Can you advise in which release?

With a FLIRC SE (so: generation 1, firmware 3.7), I've been having this issue for a long time. I posted yesterday on this in the forums [1]. I couldn't find any clear release note anywhere to see what features/fixes are included in what release.

If not released, can you please release it and cover FLIRC SE / generation 1? many of us out there with first gen FLIRCs

Also if the feature is already there, would you mind advising how to activate it?

Thanks

[1]