Flirc Forums

2 FLIRCs (Fire TV & WeTek Hub) step on each other

shmn

Bought two FLIRCs.  Latest software and firmware updated.  Remote is Logitech Harmony One.

First FLIRC installed on WeTek Hub using "Kodi" profile in FLIRC software and Media Center PC>FLIRC in Logitech.  Everything works fine.

Second FLIRC installed on latest Amazon Fire TV using "Fire TV" profile in FLIRC software and in the Logitech software I've tried random cable boxes or satellite box profiles (to avoid crossing beams with the first FLIRC in the WeTek).  But no matter what profile I choose in the Logitech and then use the "Fire TV" profile in the FLIRC software...both FLIRCs respond to commands from the Logitech.  

Doesn't matter if I have "Fire TV" device selected on my remote or "WeTek" device selected, the IR commands are picked up by both FLIRCs.  So if i'm trying to control the WeTek FLIRC, everything works but the Fire TV also responds with random commands.  If I'm trying to control the Fire TV FLIRC with my remote, everything works on the Fire TV but the WeTek also picks up random commands.

Which is why I've tried various "random" device profiles in the Logitech software like cable boxes or satellite boxes or DVD players that are off-brands and shouldn't conflict with any of my devices.

Am I doing this right?  I assume I can't choose "FLIRC" for both devices in the Logitech software as that's what I've read in other posts.

I've compared both configurations and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. The IR hashes in both are different. I couldn't find even one that would overlap between devices. I wonder if this may be something with the remote itself? I don't know Harmony and its features/capabilities. Is it possible that the remote is sending commands for both devices? Please re-check your activities' settings.

I've compared both configurations and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. The IR hashes in both are different. I couldn't find even one that would overlap between devices. I wonder if this may be something with the remote itself? I don't know Harmony and its features/capabilities. Is it possible that the remote is sending commands for both devices? Please re-check your activities' settings.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

It's not a problem with the Harmony remote.  There are no other issues and I've been programming this thing for five years.  I've created new activities and devices and still have problems.  I even created an activity with only the Fire TV FLIRC and nothing else and problem persists.

I'm pretty sure now the problem is with the FLIRC.  When I initially programmed it, I recall having issues where it would say IR signal received before I even pressed a button on the remote.  I eventually got it to program properly and didn't think anything of it.  But I tried to reprogram that FLIRC again last night and I had the same problem.  If I press "Go", it starts assigning signal to keys without me even touching the remote.  I thought their may be stray IR signals in the room so I took my laptop into a closet (who hasn't?) and pressed "Go" and the FLIRC programmed itself even though their were no remotes in the closet with me and the lights were off.  I doubt there were any IR signals in there.

Needless to say, I think there is something wrong with the second FLIRC I bought.  I'm going to exchange it with Amazon.  I'll report back to see if the new one works.

I tried another computer...my desktop.  The second FLIRC still exhibits the problem of picking up phantom IR signals.   But not all the time.  So I'm able to program it after plugging and unplugging and reloading the program a bunch of times.

However, I was able to figure something out.  I believe the original problem of cross-talk between devices lies in the FLIRC profile used in the Logitech software.  It works fine if there is only one FLIRC device.  But if there are two it seems to cause problem.  I haven't done any extensive testing because I've already spent about 6 or 7 hours trying to get this set-up to work and I'm tired of dealing with these.

I switched the WeTek Hub from using the FLIRC profile in the Logitech software to a random Sony DVD player (and the Fire TV is using a random cable box) and now there isn't any cross-talk between the two FLIRC.  If I go back to the FLIRC profile being assigned to one of the devices in the Logitech, I get cross-talk.

So, I have things working now and all is mostly well.  However, I'm still concerned about the second FLIRC picking up phantom IR signals while trying to program.  If I see any other weird issues during the Amazon return period, this unit is going back for an exchange as I think I've exhausted what would be considered a reasonable amount of troubleshooting.

Thanks for the help.