Flirc Forums

FLIRC disconnected after going to sleep

madmanuel

Okay, tried this: 

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

Looks like it's turning of my USB to both keyboard and flirc.

Hello Jason

Not much help but that is the command I use as a Scheduled Task to put my computer to Sleep after a Backup and it has always worked for me, allowing me to Wake my computer again with a Key Press on my Wireless Keyboard.

Kevin

when i press win+ safe energie i cant wake it up with the Flirc only with the logitech keyboard....

I can't reproduce this, my computer crashes when I go into suspend. Indurating. No way I can really debug this remotely without some special hardware either. Let me scratch my head.

I think i am falling into the same category, but i think slightly different, so wanted to throw my two cents here.  Right now i am trying to log a harmony remote using the flirc. I am in windows 10 using FLIRC v 2.3.0.  

I have done the following:

- Updated the Bios to wake from usb (i have a microsoft wireless keyboard that wakes the computer no problem)

- I have modified the power settings to disable the USB selective suspend setting in the options. 

- Tried both the wake key and the power key in the FLIRC software.  

My results are that i can power down into sleep mode using a key, i suspect from the power key setting in flirc, so that portion is working.  I am having the same issue as everyone trying to wake.  In my device manager, i can see the device as an unknown, and it disconnects when i come out of sleep.  The difference that i did not see anyone mention is that i do not have any power settings in my device manager for this device.  i also cannot select the sleep detection in my advanced settings (its greyed out).  I might be behind everyone else in this thread but if you need have any ideas, or need someone else to test i will be more than happy!  

when i press win+ safe energie i cant wake it up with the Flirc only with the logitech keyboard....

No need to enable it on generation 2.0, it's going to be grayed out.

Are you guys using the wake key to wake the machine? Don't record the wake key, that maybe be an issue, just use any other recorded key

No need to enable it on generation 2.0, it's going to be grayed out.

Are you guys using the wake key to wake the machine? Don't record the wake key, that maybe be an issue, just use any other recorded key

Hello Jason

I cleared the configuration and only mapped the Suspend / Wake and Next and Previous keys (all under Media Keys) and I still have the same issue.

I do not know if this is relevant but I will post it anyway just in case.

I decided to clear the configuration again and reprogram the Suspend / Wake key, using FW 4.0.14.

I mapped the key to the PlayBackTest key on my Logitech Harmony One Remote and as expected when I mapped the key the computer entered Sleep.  Pressing the key again did Wake the computer, however after this one time I was unable to Wake the computer from Sleep again using the same key.

Using the key to enter Sleep worked fine and has continued to work every time.

Thanks in advance

Kevin 

Edited by Kevin Cowans

I've tested 4.0.12 on my PC (with Win 7) and it wakes 100% of times using remote from both sleep and hibernate. After wake up, the Flirc is still responsive and is able to wake the PC again (without unplugging it and plugging it back of course). I've tested this with different sleep time spans (1 hour, 2 hours, over night etc).

I've also tested waking from sleep on a laptop with Linux and it also works without issues. Unfortunately I can't test hibernation (suspend to disk) mode because my laptop freezes during wake up from that mode (not related to Flirc, it's an issue with the hardware incompatibility with Linux).

I think it's either related to some specific hardware configurations or something environmental. With 1st gen Flirc, for example, there were issues in some cases if a controlled device wasn't connected to properly grounded mains connection. We've spent a lot of time trying to resolve the issue, but in the end fixing a ground connection resolved the issues. I don't say that this is a case here, just giving an example. Maybe there are some random power surges or voltage drops when the PC enter sleep or hibernation causing Flirc not to respond. Unfortunately there's no easy way to test this hypothesis unless you own (or have access to) an oscilloscope to capture the behaviour of USB lines (especially the 5 V one) during entering suspended state.

Edited by yawor

Hello all

I have been doing some testing today and have discovered something.

I use a wireless keyboard (Logitech K830) which utilises a USB Dongle.

With the Logitech USB Dongle plugged in then I have the issue with being unable to Wake the computer.

However, after removing the USB Dongle and Rebooting I have been able to Wake the computer every time I have tried.

Could there be a conflict with having two HID Keyboards present?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

@Kevin Cowans good find. So it's some kind of hardware conflict. Unfortunately I also have Logitech Unifying receiver (with 3 devices paired to it) plugged in to my PC and both Logitech SetPoint (for K800 keyboard and MX Performance mouse) and Logitech Options (for MX Master mouse) software installed. I see that the K830 is a newer hardware which also requires Options software. I wonder if you maybe have some newer revision of the Unifying receiver.

Can you do a test and remove pairing (in Unifying software) between your receiver and the keyboard? Then make a test with receiver plugged in but no K830 present in the system. After that you should have no issues with pairing it back to the receiver.

@Kevin Cowans good find. So it's some kind of hardware conflict. Unfortunately I also have Logitech Unifying receiver (with 3 devices paired to it) plugged in to my PC and both Logitech SetPoint (for K800 keyboard and MX Performance mouse) and Logitech Options (for MX Master mouse) software installed. I see that the K830 is a newer hardware which also requires Options software. I wonder if you maybe have some newer revision of the Unifying receiver.

Can you do a test and remove pairing (in Unifying software) between your receiver and the keyboard? Then make a test with receiver plugged in but no K830 present in the system. After that you should have no issues with pairing it back to the receiver.

Hello Yawor

Thanks for the reply.

I have no additional software installed in order to use the K830, it is just Plug and Play.

The Option software is, forgive the pun, optional.

Also, the version of the K830 that I have is the version that also works by Bluetooth, however, I have no Bluetooth Adapter to test with at the moment.

Right, I downloaded the Unifying Software and UnPaired the Keyboard.

With the Unifying Adapter still plugged in the PC will not Wake.

After removing the Unifying Adapter and Rebooting I am able to Wake the PC I would say 95% successfully.

I hope this helps.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Cowans

Hello Yawor

Thanks for the reply.

I have no additional software installed in order to use the K830, it is just Plug and Play.

The Option software is, forgive the pun, optional.

Also, the version of the K830 that I have is the version that also works by Bluetooth, however, I have no Bluetooth Adapter to test with at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Try putting the flirc on a separate hub as the unifying receiver. For example, if they are both in the back, move one to the front.

Very strange. I have a unifying receiver as well as a bluetooth dongle, and tried for several hours to reproduce this without seeing anything.

I tried in linux and windows 10, I also don't have any unifying software installed.

Hello Jason

Unfortunately, not, no.

All my computers are running Windows 10 Pro except the HTPC which is running Windows 10 Home.

Kevin

How about the order in which you plug in things. Does it make any difference if you plug in flirc or the unifying receiver first?

On your other machines, do you have the same problem? 

Maybe the motherboard manufacturer has a usb driver update. USB devices have no idea what's plugged into the same machine, so it's most likely a usb stack/driver bug.

How about the order in which you plug in things. Does it make any difference if you plug in flirc or the unifying receiver first?

On your other machines, do you have the same problem? 

Maybe the motherboard manufacturer has a usb driver update. USB devices have no idea what's plugged into the same machine, so it's most likely a usb stack/driver bug.

Hello Jason

Plugging in devices in a different order makes no difference.

I have managed to test the Flirc on my Desktop (Windows 10 Pro x64) which does use a Wireless Keyboard however it is a Microsoft Receiver (I forget the model, sorry). and it seems to work fine on that one.

I have checked on the ASUS Website and there is no USB Driver Update for my Motherboard, in fact all Drivers are up to date including the BIOS.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Hello Jason

Plugging in devices in a different order makes no difference.

I have managed to test the Flirc on my Desktop (Windows 10 Pro x64) which does use a Wireless Keyboard however it is a Microsoft Receiver (I forget the model, sorry). and it seems to work fine on that one.

I have checked on the ASUS Website and there is no USB Driver Update for my Motherboard, in fact all Drivers are up to date including the BIOS.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

What motherboard model do you have? I'll read the manual to see if I can spot anything.