Flirc Forums

Can Lirc and Keyboard work simultaneously?

xabih

This is probably an stupid question but before buying I wanna know if I can use Lirc and a keyboard (connected via mini-DIN) simultaneously?

The PC run Openelec for HTPC usage and Kubuntu for descktop usage (dual boot), I wanna use Lirc for the first and keyboard for the second but both will be always connected.

Thanks in advance.

Hi xabih,

By Lirc do you mean Flirc?

Flirc + another keyboard (connected via mini-DIN) should work fine.

The easiest way to test if Flirc + [any combination] would work is to use a USB keyboard in place of the Flirc.

If USB keyboard + [any combination] works then Flirc + [any combination] will work

Let me know if I haven't answered the question,

Pleasant regards,

Chris!

(p.s. welcome to the forums)

• Like 1

By Lirc do you mean Flirc?

Yup :rolleyes:

The easiest way to test if Flirc + [any combination] would work is to use a USB keyboard in place of the Flirc.

If USB keyboard + [any combination] works then Flirc + [any combination] will work

I will try this.

Thanks!

It will definitely work. I can't think of a USB device that flirc would not peacefully coexist with. You can plug in as many USB keyboards as you want, and they'll all work. The beauty of flirc is how simple it is. As Chris mentioned, it shows up to the system as a generic USB keyboard. You just map buttons to keyboard keys, store that configuration locally on the flirc itself, and when the flirc detects a button that you've mapped, it sends the corresponding keystroke to the host computer. All the computer sees is standard keystrokes from a standard keyboard.

I use flirc to control my XBMC box, but I can also use a USB keyboard for actual typing, or a USB bluetooth dongle and a bluetooth keyboard.