Flirc Forums

Info for custom installer to program URC remote?

ShoutingMan

I'm hiring an custom installer to program a URC remote control for my home theater electronics. I have an HTPC with a FLIRC I want included in the program setup. I need to give the installer info so he can incorporate the FLIRC / HTPC in the remote's programming (he's not familiar with FLIRC).

Where can I find the info an installer needs to program a URC remote to control an HTPC via FLIRC? I'm at a loss on this. He's asking for device codes, and I can't find anything on the FLIRC website so far.

Tell him to set a device using NECx2 (at least I'm using it with success) protocol at 38 kHz carrier frequency. The device and sub-device addresses should be set to a value which doesn't collide with any other hardware you have if any of them is using the same protocol. For example if you have a TV which is also using NECx2 protocol, then he just need to make sure that the device and sub-device addresses are different that used by the TV. For the Flirc itself it doesn't matter what values are used as you'll need to program it yourself after the remote is set up, using Flirc software to map remote buttons to keyboard key combinations. Just be ask him to be sure that every button on the remote sends unique function value.

I won't tell you any specific device codes as these are usually specific to the brand of the remote and I'm not familiar with URC. But if the installer you're hiring is professional then he should understand these instructions. If he doesn't then maybe you should hire someone else :).

Edited by yawor

Thanks for that info. To configure the remote, would the installer create a general setup, with direction arrows programmed to arbitrary values, and an Enter key and other miscellaneous buttons...and then would he give me the codes used for the buttons so I can program the FLIRC software accordingly?

This is really easy with a Logitech Harmony. I'm lost at sea with the URC and working with an installer.

You don't need to know function codes assigned to remote's buttons. There's no way to enter them manually. Instead you use Flirc software to record them. In the Flirc software you first select a key or a key combination (modifiers: shift, alt, ctrl, win + a specific key like letter a for example) and the application asks you to press a button on the remote. When you press the button then Flirc generates a value which represents the signal from the remote and stores it together with the key combination you've selected earlier.

You should repeat this for all the keys you want to use.