Flirc Forums

3rd press of same button causes repeats

John Jore

Hi!

Just bought a flirc device and programmed one key, (volume up on kenwood kca-r6a) to do a "left_alt D". First press of the button and a d appears on screen. Press button again and a 2nd d appears. Press for a 3rd time and a 3rd d appears. About 100ms later, a lot of d's and it does not stop. In other words, after pressing the same button 3 times it continually repeats the button. firmware is 3.8. Is this a known bug / issue?

2nd problem is with hotkeys  that use more than one combination, see https://www.centrafuse.com/documentation/centrafuse/hotkeys. For volume up, I need "ALT-D4". Have I made a mistake and flirc can't actually perform this key combination (macro?) Or are there test utilities / firmware versions that can do this?

(Note that while its technically possible to change the hotkeys Centrafuse uses, it breaks plugins/modules that expect the default hotkeys to work, as a result I need to be able to enter the hotkeys as per the link)

Help/assistance on both appreciated!

JJ

Are you sure it's not some problem with the remote? Does the Flirc still repeats the key even when you cover it or the remote (to block the signal from the remote in case it is the remote that keeps sending the signal)? You haven't mentioned how do you make it stop repeating the key. Also to be sure it's not a remote's issue you can point the remote at your phone's camera (or any other digital camera, as they are IR sensitive) and repeat the same sequence you've described above. You should see flashes every time you press the key. You can check whether the remote is constantly sending the signal after pressing the button third time or not.

If the remote is behaving properly then it can be a problem with the protocol it uses. I'm trying to find some information about it, which IR protocol it uses, what frequency, but it's not easy. I've found an upgrade file for UEI remotes for Kenwood Head Units but it doesn't specify which ones. The upgrade file uses NEC1 protocol which should work very well with Flirc. But I can't confirm that your remote uses the same scheme (I don't know much about Kenwood Head Units and if there are other remotes than the one you have and if they are compatible with each other).

Please first check the remote as I've described in the beginning.

As for the second part, no, you can't map a single remote button to a key sequence. Flirc supports only combinations with modifier keys. You can't combine two non-modifier keys. Like you've said, EventGhost is the way to go if you want key sequences. Or you can alternatively use AutoHotKey (but I would also use EG).

Edited by yawor

Hi and thanks for the reply.

It only stops repeating when the flirc device is unplugged. Remote is hidden / removed.  Remote originally came with the www.empeg.com. Remote also worked with an IRToy device, before the IRToy died. I've attached the config file I created/used with winlirc. There were no repeat issues when used with the empeg or winlirc.

This may, or may not, be of any help: http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Developer_Info&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=11&categories=Device+Input%2FOutput#35

JJ

KCA-R6A.conf

Edit: Also tested by removing the battery from the remote and covering it to be 100% sure the remote is not transmitting. Still repeats and does not stop until I unplug the flirc device.

Edited by John Jore
More information

OK so the remote is not an issue. From the conf file you've provided I can confirm that the remote is using NEC1 protocol, so there shouldn't be any problems with it.

Can you still cover whole Flirc with your hand when it repeats? To be sure there is no external light source interfering with it.

Are you using a desktop PC or a laptop? Can you run different OS than Windows to check if it's an OS issue? This can even be some Live CD Linux.

We've seen it a few times on the forum that poor (or lack of) ground connection caused Flirc to misbehave.

If it's a laptop:
Can you do the same test when it's unplugged from the external power supply? You could also try in a different room.

If it's a desktop PC:
Is the PC properly grounded? Do you have a possibility to use different computer? Possibly a laptop. You don't need to install Flirc software on another PC (it's only required for configuration).

Covered the flirc device with my hand and the remote in my pocket, still repeats. Tested on two desktop computers, Windows 7 & Windows 10. Same problem on both; "d" repeats "forever" after 3rd press of "Volume up" on the remote.

I believe both computers are grounded.

JJ

I've checked it with my Flirc using my universal remote with Kenwood upgrade file loaded and I don't get that behaviour. But there's always a possibility that the original remote is not 100% compliant with NEC1 protocol.

Do you have a different remote you can test Flirc with? Can you test and check if you can reproduce the same results?

No. We've been fiddling around eliminating external components to the flirc for a week now. I dont care if device works with a different remote and/or a different OS and/or different key combinations.

Note: I specifically bough the device to be used with my kenwood remote on a Windows 7 computer, the various marketing material for the device states this is not an issue.

Issue is with flirc and/or the firmware on it. A replacement (older/newer) firmware is needed, and preferably debug information from the device to understand what it is doing and why, else it goes back to the reseller as it is useless.

JJ

Due to the lack of response, the device has now been returned, as its useless.

To buyers: Beware that the developers appear to have abandoned this project, and the device may, or may not work for you.

Make sure you're able to return it, if you find it not working as advertised.

JJ