Flirc Forums

No Flirc support of Windows Media Center remotes?

jtrpop

I have multiple Windows Media Center remotes and Flirc keeps telling me 'Button already exists' when mapping certain keys. I did some searches and apparently this is a problem with Flirc and Windows Media Center remotes, even though Flirc is advertised as 'Control your computer with *any* remote'. I would like to use these remotes as they have all the buttons I need. I am running firmware 3.8. What is needed to get these remotes to work? Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my Flirc yesterday. Literally a plug and play scene with my Ubuntu media center box running Kodi.

I have an MCE remote (Original Microsoft), it took me 4 minutes flat too configure with the software. Up and running flawlessly in 5 minutes.

I did get one of those messages you are talking about on the FFW button. All I did was "Remove" it and re-add it. No problem. Works like a charm!

• 2 months later...

I'm running into the same dilemma.. Using original Windows Media Center remotes FLIRC complains "button already exists" for certain buttons such as up vs down. At 1st I thought I was hitting wrong buttons because of the weird way the on screen remote is sideways (as in on screen upward pointing one being Right not UP as would be expected, the one pointing left is UP etc. Surely someone must realize it was bad idea to have the remote sideways on screen.. lol) but I'm basing it on what is shown when hovering over an onscreen key & which it says to press as in "Press the key to be paired with UP".  To be sure I even cleared configuration & started over multiple times in different order & still run into the same errors.. If I do UP 1st then DOWN says it already exists. If I do DOWN 1st then it says UP already exist etc.  I also tried Inteset INT-422 remote choosing Windows Media Center for the remote type which works perfectly with the USB dongle that came with my original WMC remote so I know it's set right but I run into the same issue. I get that I can choose some other device like an unused DVD player or such but why does FLIRC not work with WMC remote or remote profiles on universal remote? Surely those keys can't really be duplicates or the original remotes wouldn't work. Btw the FLIRC arrived with 3.6 firmware & I upgraded to 3.8.
Thanks
Bill

OK I feel like an idiot because it was so simple but in my defense I only found the answer by chance looking for beta GUI. From a May 2015 post:

http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/1799-gui-v137-rc1/

If you want the windows media center keys to work, go to advanced and check, "Sequence Modifiers"

That did the trick! So perhaps consider setting that option automatically in the GUI if WMC remote is chosen or have it on the remote screen itself? Or heck even a foot note would be helpful. :)

Thanks for a very cool gadget!
Bill

UGHH I spoke too soon. Of course it couldn't be that simple. :( Guess it was a fluke that it accepted the keys because I started getting the "already exists" errors for other keys such as skip foward & skip back, record among others. I can understand why it thinks there are duplicate because when I press certain keys the wrong one is highlighted on the GUI. For example pressing the UP or DOWN key on remote shows DOWN being pressed in the GUI. Pressing pause key on remote shows DOWN on GUI. Something to note is sometimes sequence modifiers comes unchecked on its own. Very strange indeed.

This is very frustrating!
Bill

• 2 weeks later...

IMPORTANT: As at 15/08/2016 Flirc does not properly receive IR codes sent from Harmony device MCE Keyboard.
Instead use Harmony device Plex Player to send keyboard keys.

Problem: If using the MCE Keyboard device on your profile Flirc maps different remote buttons (IR codes) to the same keys.
Reason :This [MCE Keyboard] remote profile is a Microsoft protocol that uses a non-standard frequency.
Fix: Do NOT use MCE Keyboard device in Harmony if you will be sending to Flirc. Instead use:

·        Device: Media Center PC

·        Manufacturer: Plex

·        Model: Plex Player (not Payer or just Plex)
(has over 60 buttons including 0-9 and F1 - F12 (probably enough to map all the buttons)

See here for more info: http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/10-already-recorded-when-using-full-keyboard-mode-and-harmony-650/

• 3 weeks later...

Odd, I'm stuck on this issue, as well.  It seems like it's a firmware issue, as in the past, I haven't had this issue programming my older FLIRC's to use the default settings of the Inteset remote.

Where can I download older firmware versions to verify this?

Thanks,

-Jason

Edited by JayG7800

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that I also have this issue. My DEC-200B media center remote maps multiple keys to the same output shown in the flirc software. I thought I was going crazy. I programmed the remote and moved the flirc received to my new RasPi OSMC. The up would work one time, but not the other. It was like the thing was possessed. Thanks for posting, at least I found that I wasn't doing something wrong. 

Any idea if this is something that flirc may fix, or do I just need to buy another remote?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Guys as per my post above on the 15 Aug 2016 it appears that the FLIRC cannot interpret Microsoft Media Center IR codes correctly.
This means you cannot use an actual Microsoft Media Center remote (nor a Logitech Harmony remote that you've configured as a Microsoft Media Center remote) to:

1. To send IR codes to the FLIRC and map a key press to this code ie how you normally program it.
    (As you will get the "already exists" errors for other keys such as skip forward & skip back)
  2. Send IR codes to the FLIRC when its plugged into your computer.

The solutions:

Hope that helps.