Flirc Forums

New to Flirc Irule, Itach?

bhunter

I use an app called Irule to control devices in my house.  I am waiting on a Flirc to use with either Plex home theater or Plex media Player.  Irule has a builder/designer which contains IR codes for Plex.  I am wondering if someone has done something similar and could provide a step by step in order get this functioning:  Here is what I believe I need to do:

1.  Download the Flirc software to a windows based computer.

2.  Make sure and check for a firmware update.

3.  Setup a Screen in irule for Plex using the codes provided in Irule.

4.  Move the Itach IP2IR near the Flirc.

5.  Attach an IR emitter to the Flirc.

6.  Begin the process of programming the Flirc to map the commands properly.

AM I grasping this correctly?  Any suggestions/corrections?

Thanks for any help that you provide

Bill

Hi,

You are correct, more or less. I see a potential problem with attaching IR emitter directly to Flirc, because the receiver in Flirc is VERY sensitive and is prone to overdrive if the IR signal is too strong. It is a known issue, especially when you program the Flirc and keep the remote too close to the Flirc - the signal is too strong and is recorded improperly.

On the other hand, do you really need to use such complicated signal path? The software you are using is already communicating over IP so isn't it better to just control the media center over the network instead of first converting the IP control to IR and then map it to keyboard control via Flirc? From what I can see in the irule description it allows to control devices over TCP/IP protocols, not only via IR.

Hi,

You are correct, more or less. I see a potential problem with attaching IR emitter directly to Flirc, because the receiver in Flirc is VERY sensitive and is prone to overdrive if the IR signal is too strong. It is a known issue, especially when you program the Flirc and keep the remote too close to the Flirc - the signal is too strong and is recorded improperly.

On the other hand, do you really need to use such complicated signal path? The software you are using is already communicating over IP so isn't it better to just control the media center over the network instead of first converting the IP control to IR and then map it to keyboard control via Flirc? From what I can see in the irule description it allows to control devices over TCP/IP protocols, not only via IR.

I have had hit and miss success controlling plex via Ip.  I am trying to implement something more reliable, that is why I am making this change.  The Itachs are rock solid so I am hoping this will fix my problem.  Thanks responding