Flirc Forums

Shutdown not working

Brigitte

Hi everyone,

First off, best wishes for 2016!
I recently purchased a Streacom case and a Flirc SE addon card, to use with my Logitech Harmony Ultimate. In the Harmony software I set up a Flirc device with Kodi as the model. At first, the PC wouldn't start, but then I found that the command Logitech had added automatically ("Shutdown PC") was actually the proper command to turn on the PC. I switched the power settings in the Harmony software and now the remote can start the PC. However, I've been unable to use the remote to shutdown the PC, the computer is simply not responding. It is running Windows 7 and the "what happens when I press the power button" is set to the default "shutdown". I tried recording the power button using the commandline and flirc_util, but this breaks something, the PC will no longer start up. Any ideas?

A second issue I'm having is that the power button on the remote now starts two PCs. Is there a way to differentiate between the two computers? The second computer has an IMON display/IR receiver.

Any help is appreciated.

Nailed it, hope I didn't opt for a needlessly complicated procedure but I have yet to find a simpler solution.

1. Create a Flirc device in the Harmony software (Flirc/Kodi) and create an activity for this device.
  2. Note that Logitech adds a "power off" action (on screen in my Ultimate) that actually turns on the PC.
  3. Create a shortcut to the command %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 5
  4. Pin this shortcut to the taskbar in e.g. position 1 next to the start button.
  5. In the Flirc software, link any unused button on the Harmony remote to "Win X" (available in the "full keyboard" preset), with X being the position chosen in step 4. In my case I opted to link Win 1 to the button "blue".
  6. In the Harmony software, go to the Flirc device and change the power settings. In my case I had to opt for two buttons for on/off and link the Logitech default "power off" to Power on and the blue button to Power off.

As always, YMMV, this works for my Logitech Harmony Ultimate and a Flirc SE using Windows 7 64 bit.

Edited by Brigitte

Hi,

I found another solution to this problem that deals with some registry tweaking (check the posts at the end of the topic). It's basically about remapping the sleep button in Windows to turn off the computer. Once it's done, you can set up your Harmony to put the computer to sleep, but this way your remote will actually shut down the computer.

This works for me with Windows 7 and also with Windows 10, however, I use a regular IR remote instead of a Harmony. I hope this information was useful though.

Sorry for the late reply. In the meantime I bought a Harmony, and configured shutdown/power on as follows:

1. I remapped the sleep button to shutdown according to the post I linked above.
  2. I took my TV's remote (any IR remote does the job though) and assigned a button to wake/suspend in the Flirc software. This button now turns on/off my PC.
  3. I manually added a command named "Power On/Off PC" to Flirc in the Harmony software. To make this work, I had to teach Harmony the IR command with my TV's remote controller. (With Flirc disconnected, otherwise it would have turned off my PC during the process. :))
  4. I added Flirc's new "Power On/Off PC" command to the related activities in the Harmony software.
  5. I synced all changes, so Harmony now turns on/off my PC along with other devices.

On the top of this, I use a non-SE version of Flirc. I figured it can also turn on my PC from S5 as my motherboard (ASRock B75 Pro3-M) gives power to the USB ports after shutdown and also supports keyboard wake up. I suppose this can be done with the majority of modern motherboards.