Flirc Forums

Humax remote - button already recorded/auto-repeat problems

bvisick

I'm trying to use a Humax RM-F04 remote to control both a TV and Kodi on an RPi. The remote can control four different devices: PVR, TV, DVD and Audio. If I try to use either the DVD or Audio modes for Kodi every keypress is allocated to the same button (digit 1) and I get a "button already recorded" message - erasing buttons, clearing the config or even reinstalling the firmware makes no difference.

Using the PVR mode works OK, I can record all the keypresses but holding a button down does not trigger auto-repeat in Kodi. For example, if I hold the Down key I can see it being retransmitted because the indicator light on the remote flashes but in Kodi there is only a single down movement.

Previously I used an old Thomson Sky remote which worked well, including auto-repeat. However I had to record each button twice, as described elsewhere in these forums, which may be the thing that enabled auto-repeat. With my Humax remote in PVR mode I can't record a button twice, I just get the button already recorded message.

I'd be grateful for any ideas about how I can get past the button already recorded message or any other suggestions - thanks.

From what I can find this remote is an universal one so you're not locked to whatever is currently programmed on each device button. You can try different setup codes for each device mode (PVR/DVD/Audio) until you get the most of the remote (number of functional keys, key repeat working etc). You can try some LG or Samsung setup codes for example.

• Like 1

From what I can find this remote is an universal one so you're not locked to whatever is currently programmed on each device button. You can try different setup codes for each device mode (PVR/DVD/Audio) until you get the most of the remote (number of functional keys, key repeat working etc). You can try some LG or Samsung setup codes for example.

Thanks, yawor - I think that's what I have been doing. Best option is the PVR mode but I can only record a single keystroke per button and I can't get autorepeat to work. Not sure how using LG or Samsung setup codes would help: my problem is not operating the TV, it's operating the Kodi on RPi. Sorry if I've misunderstood.

Your remote is a universal remote so you should be able to set up (program) different makers and models for each of the TV, PVR, DVD and Audio buttons. You should have a paper book with device codes and instruction how to program the remote or you can download it here http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/rcucodelist.php. It looks like there are different versions of the remote so you should check which version of the remote you have (maybe there's some sticker somewhere) and download appropriate PDF file.

There are many different remote control schemes used in different RTV equipment. Some work better than others with Flirc and some don't work at all. By changing maker and/or model of the device programmed in the remote you can find one that works best for you. For example you can try programming few different PVR devices and check if everything works properly (key repeat, all keys being recognized as different keys etc) for any of them.

Edited by yawor
  • Like 1

Thanks again, yawor - I really appreciate the time you've taken and I'm sorry if I'm being dim but I still don't think this is addressing my problem.

You're quite right that this is a universal remote, that's why I picked it. In TV mode it operates the TV correctly. I also want the same remote to operate Kodi on an RPi connected to the same TV. I've tried recording the codes for the RPi using each of the three other modes. DVD and Audio don't work at all - every keypress is recognised by Flirc as being the same one so I get button already recorded errors. In PVR mode I can record the individual keypresses but can only record a single keypress per button, otherwise I get the already recorded error.

Using a different remote I was able to record each keypress twice and with that one holding a button down transmitted repeated presses to Kodi, making scrolling through long lists easier. I can't achieve that with this remote. I'm guessing that the problem is because I can't record button down and up presses but that may not be the problem 

So my question is whether there is something I can do to get the autorepeat working.

Thanks again for your help.