Flirc Forums

Modifying FLIRC SE for other case

whampel

I have built a Kodi dedicated box for my family using an Oregin AE S10V case that includes a VF310 display behind a plex panel. . I have tested the USB FLIRC with Kodi/Windows 10 and other than the suspend/power off issue it works great with our Harmony One remote and the Harmony profile for Kodi. I just can't get the suspend to work given the fact that we use the Harmony One for other remote needs as well (suspend wakes up any time any other key is pressed on the remote). My idea is to buy a FLIRC SE version and unsolder the IR sensor, remount it behind the VF310 panel and run wires from it back to the PC board mounted elsewhere in the case. Anyone done this before and any unusual surprises (of course I know I will void any warranty). I have extensive experience with PC board repair and am NASA certified in soldering, that should not be a major issue. Any suggestions or ideas (other than I'm crazy which I already know) would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by whampel

Hi,

I don't remember anyone doing what you want to do. First of all you need to take into an account the length of wires. The IR sensor/chip is sending data with some frequency so the wire will be susceptible to electromagnetic interference from other sources (and also can cause an interference in other nearby hardware). The longer the wire the more there's a chance of the interference. You would probably want to use a shielded wire on the output from the IR chip and properly connect shield to ground on both ends. You should be able to google the datasheet for the IR receiver chip to check which pin is the output pin.

Thanks, Yawor for the quick response. Yes I had thought of using a grounded line for the signal. In addition, where I plan on putting the PC board is not very far away but will err on the safe side. I will post results here in case anyone else wants to do something similar. Now if I can just find someone in the USA that has the SE I would be a happy camper. Amazon, where I bought the USB FLIRC, shows it out of stock.

• 2 years later...

To the OP, did you ever get this done?  How is the Flirc SE working for you?

I am fighting the suspend/shutdown issue myself without the SE edition, and I am thinking about going to an SE edition (hardware control, solid state switch).  If you want to extend your IR sensor signal, you need to use a shielded cable to do so.  Twisting the wires together may work as well, but it will depend on the frequency of the possible interference within the computer box.