Flirc Forums

New user some confusion

raoulangel

Hi,

I love the concept of the product however it doesn't seem to be responding as I expected.. I am using a mini credit-card size windows media remote and was trying to map it to the Flirc, and there were some issues.  The up and down buttons sync ok, left and right seem to, I set the back button, and some others.. but when I get Windows Media center open on the screen, the up arrow scrolls up, the down arrow scrolls up, back does nothing, the button for play/pause cannot be set because on your configuration there is a play, and a separate pause, and often when I try to map a key, the software tells me "that key already exists" when I have not set it yet.  If I try it multiple times it finally sets but it doesn't work.  Now I know this remote works fine, when I use it with a run of the mill USB IR receiver.. However you cannot find one of those small and without a long cable attached to it.  i opted for your product because I needed a tiny receiver.  Is there something I can do?  Is there a setting for the FLIRC to set it as a simple receiver, sending whatever commands it receives without any programming?  Thanks for any help!

• 3 months later...

Wish it were that simple.  Thank you for the suggestion but dozens of hours of tryouts included this option!  I have selected every type, every setting, every step.  This is just too Windows Media intolerant, as well as not having any passive mode such as "just receiver" mode that just provides key passes to the device.  From what I can tell this is designed to "change" the button presses of any remote into custom ones, which would be great except it doesn't work for any Windows Media Center type applications, which is kind of counter-intuitive, but it's not my product!!!  Thanks again.  (That and the fact it took almost 3 full months for someone to respond to me is also quite concerning for a new customer support interaction)

If the remote is using a base frequency too far away from 38kHz then it may cause problems because the receiver-demodulator module won't get a whole signal properly. Even if Flirc could just pass data from the remote (after demodulation) you wouldn't get much from it as you would still probably get the same data due to frequency mismatch.

The 38kHz is the most popular frequency used in consumer grade IR remote controls. Unfortunately some MCE remotes use different frequencies and those can cause problems with Flirc.

• Like 1

I appreciate the info, however it still baffles me that after over 3 months having this and posting my concerns and frustration right away that the explanation for the trouble comes after so much time has passed.  I purchased this in October and it has sat on my desk gathering dust. I do not like wasting tech, it would have been nice to know all this in the beginning.  Would have saved me a lot of lost hours.

If the remote is using a base frequency too far away from 38kHz then it may cause problems because the receiver-demodulator module won't get a whole signal properly. Even if Flirc could just pass data from the remote (after demodulation) you wouldn't get much from it as you would still probably get the same data due to frequency mismatch.

The 38kHz is the most popular frequency used in consumer grade IR remote controls. Unfortunately some MCE remotes use different frequencies and those can cause problems with Flirc.

I can certainly confirm this. I have many remotes in my house and the only IR one that doesn't work with flirc is a cheap Windows media center remote that came with its own receiver. It's not that the flirc doesn't work with the apps, it's that those types of remotes don't behave like standard IR remotes. 

• 6 months later...

IMPORTANT: As at 15/08/2016 Flirc does not properly receive IR codes sent from Harmony device MCE Keyboard.
Instead use Harmony device Plex Player to send keyboard keys.

Problem: If using the MCE Keyboard device on your profile Flirc maps different remote buttons (IR codes) to the same keys.
Reason :This [MCE Keyboard] remote profile is a Microsoft protocol that uses a non-standard frequency.
Fix: Do NOT use MCE Keyboard device in Harmony if you will be sending to Flirc. Instead use:

·        Device: Media Center PC

·        Manufacturer: Plex

·        Model: Plex Player (not Payer or just Plex)
(has over 60 buttons including 0-9 and F1 - F12 (probably enough to map all the buttons)

See here for more info: http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/10-already-recorded-when-using-full-keyboard-mode-and-harmony-650/