Flirc Forums

Amazon TV Home Button Not Working with Harmony Remote

sushi714

I recently replaced a Roku 2 with a new (2015) Amazon Fire TV and bought Flirc so I could use my Harmony remote (Xbox 360 version). Since I still had the programming on the Harmony from the Roku 2, I just paired those buttons to Flirc like so:

Amazon Directional Buttons = Roku Directional Buttons

Amazon OK = Roku OK

Amazon Rewind, Play/Pause, Fast Forward = Roku Rewind, Play/Pause, Fast Forward

Amazon Back = Roku Back

Amazon Home = Roku Home

Amazon Menu = Roku Option (aka "*"-button)

I had the 3.6 Flirc firmware out of the box and, after programming, the only button that doesn't seem to work is the Home one. Just curious if this is a known issue with the Home button preset in Flirc and, if so, if there is a fix for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NOTE: I have attempted the alternative fix of mapping the F12 key from the full keyboard to the button on the Harmony I wanted to use for the Fire TV Home button, however, this did not fix the issue. Unless there is some yet unreported/unknown issue assigning the command to one of the Harmony's "additional buttons" (the ones assigned to the changing display),  I can only assume that for the new Fire TV, this command to control the Home button has either been reassigned to a different keyboard key or just completely removed.

Edited by sushi714

Hey,

I just wanted to chime in and say that I experience the same problem. It's probably the new Fire TV but I really hope that the devs can do something about it. Not having the home button functionality sucks especially when you use it for Kodi/Firestarter.

Thanks for reporting this. I'm hoping they'll find a suitable command for this soon, or really, considering how annoying it is to repeatedly hit "Back" just to exit an app, I might just return my Flirc for the time being and wait to repurchase when this issue is resolved.

Edited by sushi714

I ran into the same problem today with my new 2nd-Gen FireTV.   I just came up with a solution.  I connected my Media Center Keyboard to the FireTV and discovered that the media center home key returned to the Home Screen.  I then tried mapping the Home Key from the Windows media template in the Flirc app.  That didn't work for me. 

After further experimentation, here's my solution:  From the Flirc app, select 'Full Keyboard' from the controllers menu.  Select combination of Left-windows key, left-alt-key, and Enter key (illustrated in attached image) and record as usual to a button on your remote. 

P0emst8.jpg

No idea why it wouldn't accept the Home button from the media center presets, as I believe it just sends the keys I specified above. 

Edited by AverageGeek
  • Like 3

I ran into the same problem today with my new 2nd-Gen FireTV.   I just came up with a solution.  I connected my Media Center Keyboard to the FireTV and discovered that the media center home key returned to the Home Screen.  I then tried mapping the Home Key from the Windows media template in the Flirc app.  That didn't work for me. 

After further experimentation, here's my solution:  From the Flirc app, select 'Full Keyboard' from the controllers menu.  Select combination of Left-windows key, left-alt-key, and Enter key (illustrated in attached image) and record as usual to a button on your remote. 

P0emst8.jpg

No idea why it wouldn't accept the Home button from the media center presets, as I believe it just sends the keys I specified above. 

Awesome, I'll try this in a bit. Thanks again! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread saved me $100 as I was about to go buy a Harmony Bluetooth hub.

Just so it is clear: If you have the latest version of the Fire TV (The "All New Fire TV" with 4K support via the Power VR GX6250 graphics chip) this is the answer to getting the "home" button properly emulated with Flirc.

Nice job, AverageGeek!

Edited by italbar

Nicely done average geek. I tried this myself and couldn't find a key combo. I've been pulling my hair out about this and reached out to Amazon. 

We found out the problem was on their side, they are pushing out a fix for this in the next few weeks. I will create some articles for the temporary fix you found. 

Awesome job 

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent - thank you guys. I'm a new FLIRC user just got my device today and came to the forum to find out why every button apart from Home button is not mapping over.

Thanks to AverageGreek the issue is solved.

One question though - are there any Mouse Toggle users out there?

Double tapping the play button on the original remote brings up the mouse. However I can't mimic this with IR remote. Wondering if anyone has managed to fix this?

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

For every one looking for the USB Key press for Amazon Fire TV 3 Ctrl - Alt - Enter pressing for 3 seconds is the same as holding the menu button.  to close the menu pressing escape closing the menu. 

This can be assigned to any infra-red remote via Flirc Software - Keyboard - assign to key. 

Does not work on Harmony 600/650/700 unless you create a device for power toggle leaning the select button and setting duration to 1.5 sec.

Edited by tinafici