Flirc Forums

Adding support for Nvidia Shield TV

stage

5 hours ago, Ian Flirc said:

Thanks. Yes its the plastic version.

After unzipping the .gz file, you get a .tar file. What am I supposed to do with this new .tar file? Windows can't find a suitable programme to open it. I've also tried opening it with the Flirc programme, but nothing seems to be happening. Should there be a new GUI with the new Shield controller after opening it?

Re-download the original file again. It's supposed to be a .tar.gz file. Open the original file again with 7zip.

19 minutes ago, jason said:

Re-download the original file again. It's supposed to be a .tar.gz file. Open the original file again with 7zip.

Thanks Jason. I now see a .exe file which unfortunately cannot be opened. "The code execution cannot proceed because WinSparkle.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

I've tried re-downloading and re-extracting, but the same error occurs.

10 hours ago, jason said:

I'll make this easier in the future. Go to Program Files x86\Flirc and copy that directory to your desktop. Don't move it. Then drop the contents of the zip in there and run it from the desktop for now.

Thank you so much Jason. Am amazed at your speed of replies and helpfulness. I've managed to install everything successfully and upgrade to the new firmware on my Flirc device.

Sorry to be annoying, I now have another question - the Back, Menu and Home buttons don't work on my Harmony 650 remote. I've gone into "MyHarmony" app and don't see the corresponding buttons to map onto my remote. The closest I could fine to those are "ContextMenu", "ParentFolder" and "Back", all of which, unfortunately do not work. Would you have any tips on setting up my Harmony remote device? I've used the instructions here.

EDIT: I think I figured out why. Although I see the new NVIDIA Shield Gen2 GUI, and Flirc prompts for a firmware update immediately upon opening Flirc, the firmware update doesn't seem to stick (ie. i think the device is not updating properly). After selecting yes, the firmware says it is successfully updated but the version number on the bottom right still reads 3.9 when it should be 3.10.

firmware.JPG

firmware2.JPG

Edited by Ian Flirc

3 hours ago, Ian Flirc said:

Thank you so much Jason. Am amazed at your speed of replies and helpfulness. I've managed to install everything successfully and upgrade to the new firmware on my Flirc device.

Sorry to be annoying, I now have another question - the Back, Menu and Home buttons don't work on my Harmony 650 remote. I've gone into "MyHarmony" app and don't see the corresponding buttons to map onto my remote. The closest I could fine to those are "ContextMenu", "ParentFolder" and "Back", all of which, unfortunately do not work. Would you have any tips on setting up my Harmony remote device? I've used the instructions here.

EDIT: I think I figured out why. Although I see the new NVIDIA Shield Gen2 GUI, and Flirc prompts for a firmware update immediately upon opening Flirc, the firmware update doesn't seem to stick (ie. i think the device is not updating properly). After selecting yes, the firmware says it is successfully updated but the version number on the bottom right still reads 3.9 when it should be 3.10.

firmware.JPG

firmware2.JPG

Let me try and reproduce this tomorrow. 

Thanks a lot to all for this thread ! 

I was able to map correctly most of the remote to flirc commands for the shield pro 2019. The exit (round icon button on the remote) does not seem to work though.

Any one know the keyboard combination for it or ID to pass to flirc_util ?

EDIT : figured it out. The 'back' and 'home' buttons in the harmony profile for Nvidia shield are both sending the same IR code. So when doing the flirc mapping it was overwriting whichever one was initially associated. All is working good now. 

Would be quite nice if we could have a mapping for the netflix button that would launch a custom app for example Plex, i don't know if this possible/ available though. 

Thanks.

Edited by Romain

19 hours ago, Ken C said:

Hi All,

I have a 2019 NVIDIA Shield and I've gotten most things working except for getting the Circle key to go back to the home screen.

Looking at docs, the command is Ctrl-Esc, which is working, but using that is a little messy.

Thoughts?

Can you give this a shot:

For windows, copy the Program Files (x86)\Flirc directory to your desktop and replace the contents of the folder on your desktop with the zip attached.

You can grab 7zip to unzip that.

You'll also need to re-learn these buttons.

Linux: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc%20GUI/linux/Flirc-3.24.3-12-g024d529.tar.gz

Mac: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc%20GUI/mac/Flirc-3.24.3-12-g024d529.dmg

Windows: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc%20GUI/win/Flirc-3.24.3-12-g024d529.tar.gz

Please let me know how that goes.

11 hours ago, jason said:

For windows, copy the Program Files (x86)\Flirc directory to your desktop and replace the contents of the folder on your desktop with the zip attached.

Linux: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc%20GUI/linux/Flirc-3.24.3-12-g024d529.tar.gz

Windows: https://flirc.io/nightly/Flirc%20GUI/win/Flirc-3.24.3-12-g024d529.tar.gz

Thank you. All the buttons now work for me with the exception of Back and Home. I still do get the same pop up about updating my firmware everytime i open the flirc app or plug in my flirc though.

49 minutes ago, Ian Flirc said:

Thank you. All the buttons now work for me with the exception of Back and Home. I still do get the same pop up about updating my firmware everytime i open the flirc app or plug in my flirc though.

Do you re-learn all your buttons?

2 minutes ago, jason said:

Do you re-learn all your buttons?

Ian, I just realized two things.

1. You are still using the old flirc. Send me a PM. While I plan on updating that firmware to get this supported, I really don’t want to debug this now. I’ll just send you a new one. 

2. You need to be using the Controllers->Nvidia Gen2 screen to learn the buttons

20 hours ago, jason said:

Hi Jason,

Worked like a charm!! Thanks for your help!

I upgraded the firmware, cleared the config and relearned all the buttons for the Gen2 Shield.

1 hour ago, Ken C said:

Hi Jason,

Worked like a charm!! Thanks for your help!

I upgraded the firmware, cleared the config and relearned all the buttons for the Gen2 Shield.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback, I have some quick updates to gen1 too, so buys customers some more time with that if needed.

Does the nextflix button work? Mine doesn't work, and I don't know if it's because it's a gen1 shield, or because my netflix app is broken on my shield. 

3 hours ago, jason said:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback, I have some quick updates to gen1 too, so buys customers some more time with that if needed.

Does the nextflix button work? Mine doesn't work, and I don't know if it's because it's a gen1 shield, or because my netflix app is broken on my shield. 

Hmm, good question, I didn't need the Netflix button so I didn't assign anything to it, but I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know!

I've published the update. This should support both gen1, gen2 devices, and you'll need to relearn the buttons that don't work. feel free to follow-up here with issues. I've done a lot of testing and regression testing, but it's not impossible I missed something.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:36 PM, jason said:

No the Netflix button doesn't work for me neither on my Shield TV Pro 2019

I have Flic Gen2 and recorded the button with v3.25.1 on Harmony 665

Edited by RaceManIak

just bought the new Nvidia and discovered that the Netflix button (Which I have mapped to 3 different apps) dosent work when integrating with the Harmony bluetooth keyboard

Luckily I had a Flirc (1 Gen) and I just updated the firmware, and loaded the new Shield 2Gen - but so far no luck getting the Netflix button to work

(Everything else works through my Harmony pairing) - Please let me know if you want me to do any beta testing.... :-)

@jason thanks for the updates and hard work. I can confirm that I got everything working on my 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Pro with the new updates except for the already mentioned NetFlix button (not a big deal). Also thanks for following up with Logitech although I remembered that I don't use the profiles from Logitech. I have two Flirc in the same room, one for the Shield and a second for an Amazon Fire TV. For this reason I can't use the Logitech profiles as they are effectively the same profile sending the same command so I simultaneously control both devices at the same time (one blindly). This is obviously not the behavior I want so I select two different devices that don't exist in my home. I then use the remote codes from those two devices to program the two Flirc which then independently control the Shield and Fire TV.

Edited by Rojma

13 hours ago, Rojma said:

@jason thanks for the updates and hard work. I can confirm that I got everything working on my 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Pro with the new updates except for the already mentioned NetFlix button (not a big deal). Also thanks for following up with Logitech although I remembered that I don't use the profiles from Logitech. I have two Flirc in the same room, one for the Shield and a second for an Amazon Fire TV. For this reason I can't use the Logitech profiles as they are effectively the same profile sending the same command so I simultaneously control both devices at the same time (one blindly). This is obviously not the behavior I want so I select two different devices that don't exist in my home. I then use the remote codes from those two devices to program the two Flirc which then independently control the Shield and Fire TV.

The logitech profiles for shield and firetv are different codes, so both devices should not respond when in the same room. Just remember to disable the built in profile for the device you don't want to listen too. For example, in the shield, pop it in to a computer, and go to file->advanced, and disable the firetv profile, and vice versa.

It might be better to do what you are doing since logitech has not updated their buttons in so long, they are missing a number of buttons on each device now. = (

2 hours ago, jason said:

The logitech profiles for shield and firetv are different codes, so both devices should not respond when in the same room. Just remember to disable the built in profile for the device you don't want to listen too. For example, in the shield, pop it in to a computer, and go to file->advanced, and disable the firetv profile, and vice versa.

It might be better to do what you are doing since logitech has not updated their buttons in so long, they are missing a number of buttons on each device now. = (

Now you tell me! ;-) Thanks I did not realize you could do that. Now I know. Ultimately I am not sure if this would have worked for me anyways since I also add on additional buttons to the remote, mainly the numeric keypad and the page up/page down (channel up/channel down). These come in handy for some apps like Pluto TV and HDHomeRun. Since I am using the keyboard to get these extra buttons I wouldn't be able to disable the keyboard profile for both. If the two different Flirc are using codes from two different remotes for the keyboard would this still work?

Hey all, I've got some issues with my Flirc devices. I've got two 2019 Shield Pros, controlled with Crestron remotes.

They were working great on my 2017 Shield Pros. Then they worked with limited functionality after I upgraded to the 2019 Shield Pro (FF/RR/Pause buttons no longer worked). Now I've updated the to Flirc v3.25.1 and nothing works now.

Is there something I should be doing after updating the Flirc units?

*Note: The Shield remote codes are already setup in Crestron so all I need the Flirc to do is pass along the default Shield IR codes.

-Any help is appreciate!

Edited by hedkase

1 hour ago, hedkase said:

Hey all, I've got some issues with my Flirc devices. I've got two 2019 Shield Pros, controlled with Crestron remotes.

They were working great on my 2017 Shield Pros. Then they worked with limited functionality after I upgraded to the 2019 Shield Pro (FF/RR/Pause buttons no longer worked). Now I've updated the to Flirc v3.25.1 and nothing works now.

Is there something I should be doing after updating the Flirc units?

*Note: The Shield remote codes are already setup in Crestron so all I need the Flirc to do is pass along the default Shield IR codes.

-Any help is appreciate!

Format and repair the remote.