Flirc Forums

Adding support for Nvidia Shield TV

stage

Turns out that the Shield remote's back button DOES work for the Tablo app but I did have to make a modification to the Flirc. Here's what I did to make everything work:

On the Harmony Remote (using the MyHarmony software):

• Attach the Harmony remote.
  • Add the device manufacturer of "Flirc" and the device model number of FireTV (others suggest XBMC or Media Center PC).
  • Rename the device Shield TV.
  • Program your activities.
  • Program the activity buttons and screens to your preference.
  • Sync the remote.

On the Flirc (using the Flirc software):

• Attach the Flirc device. (Note: You may find it necessary to erase come commands.)
  • Under Controllers, select Full Keyboard end record the following commands from your remote into the Flirc:
  1. Enter/Return (OK/Select)
  2. Windows Key + Enter/Return (Home)
  3. Right Arrow
  4. Left Arrow
  5. Down Arrow
  6. Up Arrow
  • Under Controllers, select Media Keys and record the following commands from your remote into the Flirc:
  1. Play/Pause
  2. Stop
  3. Previous
  4. Next
  5. Fast Forward
  6. Rewind
  • Under Controllers, select Fire TV and record the following command from your remote into the Flirc:
  1. Go Back (ESC/Back)

Enter or Enter/Return? They are two different things with different results in some apps. 

Hey Guys, support is being rolled in, but I'm trying to get in a bunch of other things into the release. 

Connected with my friends at NVIDIA, it's the same as the firetv remote. So if you pair those keys, you should be good until we need to figure out any misc buttons (kodi) 

Hey Guys, support is being rolled in, but I'm trying to get in a bunch of other things into the release. 
Connected with my friends at NVIDIA, it's the same as the firetv remote. So if you pair those keys, you should be good until we need to figure out any misc buttons (kodi) 

So, just to be clear, in the FLIRC software, I should choose the FireTV layout and press my existing Harmony "OK" button to pair it with the FTV? Will that work? I thought it was the IR command being sent by the remote that mattered. Or do I need to use an actual FTV remote to program it? Just want to make sure. 

Hi Jason,

Can you be more specific about when they expect to have it available?

Thank you for following up.

it's live as of last night 

Hi Jason,

I see Nvidia updated the shield today, but the OK button is not working with HBO and Starz, which is the same issue I had before.  I set my Harmony up the the Fire TV profile.  The ok button works fine on PLEX, SDHomerun and other programs. Any suggestions?

Edited by handyd

Hi Jason,

I see Nvidia updated the shield today, but the OK button is not working with HBO and Starz, which is the same issue I had before.  I set my Harmony up the the Fire TV profile.  The ok button works fine on PLEX, SDHomerun and other programs. Any suggestions?

Jason,

Anything?

Guys, I don't think full compatibility with the Shield across every single app will ever be possible.

Problem #1 is there are 3 separate android commands apps can use for "confirmation", but only 1 can be replicated on a PC keyboard.  Google has written guidelines to app developers to support KEYCODE_ENTER at minimum (which is what FLIRC maps to the center button on the remote).  Nvidia tells developers to use KEYCODE_DPAD_CENTER or KEYCODE_BUTTON_A (https://developer.nvidia.com/android-tv-developer-guide) but some apps written for Android TV in general instead of specifically for the Shield don't follow the guidelines and only use KEYCODE_ENTER.  Crossy Road for example uses KEYCODE_BUTTON_A (along with other various gamepad commands), so it won't respond to FLIRC.  HBO uses KEYCODE_DPAD_CENTER for as far as I know.

Problem #2 is that even if all 3 of these those android commands could be replicated by a keyboard, the Flirc can only send one command per button.  I know macros are in the cards at some point, which would help address this specific issue, but as long as problem #1 exists it's largely irrelevant.  It makes sense for the Enter/Return key AKA KEYCODE_ENTER to be the primary button used by Flirc since it's the most widely supported one on Android TV.

Edited by interr0bangr

Solved my problems!  Thank you!

Mind if I ask what the issue was?

Awesome, glad that did the trick.

Long story, I left NVIDIA a few months ago to continue flirc full time in September. Reached out to my old team mates to find out exactly what button mappings they were using. They weren't using HID keyboard keys, but another USB page called Consumer for the direction pad and select. 0xC for the consumer page, and Menu Up/down/right/left/select.

Once we realized this, I needed to update the GUI so that it sent down those specific keys for pairing rather than the keyboard ones. Previously, select was 'return'.

This is terrific, Jason! Thank you! Are there any plans to include the Shield Controller?

Yes, I need to have my artist draft the artwork for the GUI. I'm actually trying to figure out the PS4 mappings right now.

Was there any button that you were missing that you wanted to use from the controller?

Perhaps the "Play" button and the L & R bumpers. I've side loaded a couple apps that are best used with a cursor so if I had the option to use, for example, the number buttons on my Harmony 650 to control the cursor I wouldn't be so tempted to grab for the controller. The remote functions you've mapped have taken care of what I use most. Thanks again!

Thanks for the update! Working great on both my Shields. I have the 2015 and 2017 non-pro model. FLIRC in particular is a boon for the new non-Pro since there's no IR receiver; hopefully with these updates you find FLIRC becomes just as popular with those as it is now for the FireTV devices. 

I have 7 FLIRCs now - 4 original from back in the day and 3 new ones from Amazon. Great update all around.