Flirc Forums

Adding support for Nvidia Shield TV

stage

@jason

I think I've figured pretty much everything important out except for the HID code for the OK Button on the remote.  Did your buddies at nVidia ever give you the HID codes?

Here's my updated mapping sheet.

HID CodeUSB Keyboard ButtonShield TV Remote ButtonShield TV Controller ButtonAndroid Key Code Name
0x07 0x0028Enter/Return--KEYCODE_ENTER
0x07 0x0058Enter (Num Pad)--KEYCODE_NUMPAD_ENTER
??OK-KEYCODE_DPAD_CENTER
??-A / GreenKEYCODE_BUTTON_A
0x07 0x0029EscBackBackKEYCODE_BACK
0x07 0x0065 + 0x07 0x0028Windows Key + Enter/ReturnHomeHomeKEYCODE_HOME
0x07 0x004fKeyboard Right ArrowDirection RightD-Pad RightKEYCODE_DPAD_RIGHT
0x07 0x0050Keyboard Left ArrowDirection LeftD-Pad LeftKEYCODE_DPAD_LEFT
0x07 0x0051Keyboard Down ArrowDirection DownD-Pad DownKEYCODE_DPAD_DOWN
0x07 0x0052Keyboard Up ArrowDirection UpD-Pad UpKEYCODE_DPAD_UP
0x07 0x0065Windows KeyNvidia ButtonVoice SearchKEYCODE_SEARCH
0x07 0x007fKeyboard Mute--KEYCODE_VOLUME_MUTE
0x07 0x0080Keyboard Volume UpVolume UpVolume UpKEYCODE_VOLUME_UP
0x07 0x0081Keyboard Volume DownVolume DownVolume DownKEYCODE_VOLUME_DOWN
0x07 0x00e8Media Keys Play/PauseDouble Tab Volume SliderForwardKEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE
0x07 0x00e9Media Keys Stop--KEYCODE_MEDIA_STOP
0x07 0x00eaMedia Keys Previous--KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS
0x07 0x00ebMedia Keys Next--KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT
0x0c 0x00b3Media Keys Fast Forward--KEYCODE_MEDIA_FAST_FORWARD
0x0c 0x00b4Media Keys Rewind--KEYCODE_MEDIA_REWIND
??-B / RedKEYCODE_BUTTON_B
??-X / BlueKEYCODE_BUTTON_X
??-Y / YellowKEYCODE_BUTTON_Y
??-Left BumperKEYCODE_BUTTON_L1 
??-Right BumperKEYCODE_BUTTON_R1
??-Click Left Stick KEYCODE_BUTTON_THUMBL 
??-Click Right Stick KEYCODE_BUTTON_THUMBR

Edited by interr0bangr

For the above chart with a keyboard ENTER = OKAY on the remote.

So that is ENTER, not Enter\Return. 

On an Apple keyboard they are marked as two separate things, and ENTER is the correct one. 

I believe I cover both in the commandlne utility:

flirc_util record return

&

flirc_util record enter

For the above chart with a keyboard ENTER = OKAY on the remote.

So that is ENTER, not Enter\Return. 

On an Apple keyboard they are marked as two separate things, and ENTER is the correct one. 

This is not true.  At least not using my Logitech keyboard.  Believe me, I've spent like 10+ hours testing this stuff.

You're right that they are marked as separate things though.  Enter/Return = KEYCODE_ENTER whereas Enter = KEYCODE_NUMPAD_ENTER.  Android TV seems to interpret both keycode actions as the same.

@jason I'm in Canada.  I can send you my config when I get home tonight.

I'll also bring home a different mac keyboard tonight and see if that makes a difference.

@jason here's my config.

I also tested another keyboard and Enter/Return still acts as KEYCODE_ENTER.  If there's a way to map KEYCODE_ENTER, KEYCODE_DPAD_CENTER and KEYCODE_BUTTON_A all to the Enter/Return key that would be amazing and would solve the problem with some apps not accepting selection inputs!

my_flirc_config.fcfg

@jason here's my config.

I also tested another keyboard and Enter/Return still acts as KEYCODE_ENTER.  If there's a way to map KEYCODE_ENTER, KEYCODE_DPAD_CENTER and KEYCODE_BUTTON_A all to the Enter/Return key that would be amazing and would solve the problem with some apps not accepting selection inputs!

my_flirc_config.fcfg

@interr0bangr can you give the attached a shot?

my_flirc_config2.bin

@jason here's my config.

my_flirc_config.fcfg

Ah, thanks yawor, my mistake. I changed it so I can open it in a hex editor. Forgot to change it back.

• 3 weeks later...

I just setup my Flirc and it works flawlessly, using an Xbox One Media Remote

Setup direction, enter, home and back via the Fire TV configuration, then setup the rest using the Media Keys configuration

Everything works, volume, power/sleep, play/pause, stop, infact it works far better than the Nvidia Remote, I haven't setup the search as its something I never use anyway.

With this remote I'm left with 4 spare buttons, if you use Kodi you can just link some keyboard short cuts to those for additional features, but for me, I use Plex and everything works as expected.

Cheers

KFK

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has there been any progress on this, yet? I am using a Harmony IR remote (the 650) and have the Flirc set up using the Kodi profile. I programmed the Home button in Flirc as it wasn't working correctly in Playstation Vue. All basic functions work properly now EXCEPT on some apps, like Fan TV for example, the "select/OK" button does not work yet it works in most every other place. The spouse acceptance factor is suffering!

Edited by DanVM

I discovered that the Tablo app on Android TV does not respond to the typical "Back" command on the Shield TV. The "Back" button on the Shield's remote does nothing though the "B" button on the Shield game controller does work. Instead of responding to the Android Key Code "KEYCODE_BUTTON_B" the Tablo should respond to "KEYCODE_BACK". I've notified the Tablo company but does anyone have a workaround in the meantime? The family is not keen on having to use a game controller to watch television.

If the application doesn't respect USB keyboard input then there's nothing Flirc can do. You can connect some USB keyboard to your Shield TV and test if the app responds to some other keys or key combinations that Tablo interprets as a back key.