Flirc Forums

Power On/Off Flirc-SE hackintosh mac os x

rodbishop

Hi

I'm aware that Flirc-SE can turn on the computer from the Off position. I am uncertain how to configure this. I have read various forum threads for other OS e.g. "flirc_util.exe record power" e.g. here http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/1887-power-onoff-wont-work-with-flirc-se-and-openeleckodi/

But I cannot work out how to apply similar functionality for my setup.

My setup is Flirc-SE on a hackintosh running Mac OS X Yosemite with a no-frills remote control from my amplifier/receiver.

Here's what I've done.

1) Installed the Flirc SE hardware, connected to USB, Motherboard and Power

2) Run the Flirc mac gui app

3) Recorded various keys. Including to record the On / Off buttons on the remote vs the Controllers > Full Keyboard > Wake button, as per the instructions here https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200904676-Getting-flirc-to-wake-up-your-computer

4) Tested. All mapped keys work. Wake from Sleep functionality works. On from Off functionality doesn't work.

I'm confident I've missed a step, but can't work out where. Can anyone please assist?

The Wake button is for waking PC from sleep. It doesn't operate the power button connection to the motherboard. You need to use command line utility (flirc_util) the way you've mentioned in your post to record the power button, which is currently not available in GUI. In OS X you just drop the .exe extension. I don't know OS X specifics so I don't know if the flirc_util is in PATH and can be accessed from anywhere or if you need first to change the working directory to one containing the executable.

Hi Yawor, thanks.

So flirc_util is inside the Flirc.app package. I get there by either 1) Go Applications / Flirc, Right Click, Show Package Contents, Go Contents / Resources / flirc_util; or 2) the same in Terminal: Open Terminal and type /Applications/Flirc.app/Contents/Resources/flirc_util.

With either method, running flirc_util returns the following error.

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/Flirc.app/Contents/Resources/flirc_util
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

I then followed the instructions on this thread http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/841-mac-flirc_util-embedded-in-flircapp-cant-find-libusb-100dylib/#comment-6791 to try to add libusb-1.0.0.dylib to the required folder 

cp /Applications/Flirc.app/Contents/Frameworks/libusb-1.0.* /usr/local/lib/

Following that method I get this error.

cp: directory /usr/local/lib does not exist

I'll be honest I'm a little out of depth using Terminal commands.

... Edit: Worked it out! See below.

Edited by rodbishop

To summarise for posterity get Flirc SE to turn on / off your mac os X hackintosh

In Terminal type to open flirc_util

/Applications/Flirc.app/Contents/Resources/flirc_util record power

If that fails with error "dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib"

In Terminal type to copy the library to the required place

sudo cp /Applications/Flirc.app/Contents/Frameworks/libusb-1.0.* /usr/local/lib/

If that fails with the error "cp: directory /usr/local/lib does not exist"

In Terminal type to create the /local/lib folder, as you may not have one

sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib

Then repeat the above steps - copy the library, then run the record power.

Tested and working on a OS X Yosemite Hackintosh with Flirc SE

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi There,

Tried the above steps, the power button is being recorded without any issues But does not Power down. I have the latest 14.4.4 Mojave hackintosh.

FYI the power on and off works on the same PC and button combo on the windows partition.

any suggestions?

DJK