Flirc Forums

Unusable

blueribb

I spent the morning programming my old Harmony 510. First I had to use the Harmony software to enable every key I intended to use, then I used the Flirc software to program the dongle. Seemed pretty easy. Now for the test. It works BUT the IR lag and ultra-tight direction of pointing the remote is very poor. Also, I sometimes have to hit a button twice or more before the command is executed. I'm sick - this is not what I was hoping for. I tried my Intel NUC's front port, back port with extension cable and many, many different placements of the dongle. None produced usable results. My Harmony 510 works perfectly with both my Sony TV & Pioneer AVR. Both are very responsive to the remotes commands. The problem is the Flirc.

I printed an eBay Pre-Paid Return Shipping Label and put it in my mailbox.

Intel NUC DC53427HYE i5-3427U

OpenELEC 5.95.4

Edited by blueribb

I don't understand your question. I programmed the Harmony 510 to control my Sony TV, Pioneer AVR and Microsoft Media Center Extender. I then had to assign the key functions for every key used in the Activity I called "Kodi". I programmed every key to perform a function. After finished, I used the Flirc software to assign each key a function using the full keyboard template. Again, every key worked as expected. That's not the problem. The problem is the lack of response from the Harmony 510 remote and Flirc dongle. I have to point it EXACTLY at the dongle or it won't work. Then I have to press the remote's keys more than once (sometimes) to execute the command. I moved the Flirc dongle to front and rear NUC USB ports and used an extension cable and re-positioned the dongle in many different positions and locations. All had the same exact results. Very poor lack of response. I'm not the kind of person that wants to try different fixes, patches or whatever to use a device made to work as-is.

I should be receiving an HP MCE IR Receiver later today to use with both my Harmony Remotes. Let's hope it does better than the Flirc.

Some additional comments:

I own a WDTV Live Media Streamer that uses IR. When used with it's own remote or a Harmony 650, it responds to every command even when not pointing directly at the device. The problem with this device is it's LAG. You cannot press keys too fast or it misses the command.

I also use a Logitech K400 Wireless media keyboard / trackpad. This uses RF. The response is 100% the same as using a wired keyboard. No lag and it will respond to very fast keystrokes. Once a person uses this device, it's very hard to use an IR device with lag and a narrow beam.

Edited by blueribb

Update: I received the HP MCE IR Receiver today. It works out of the box with both my Harmony Remotes. Every key does what it's supposed to. There is a slight IR lag but it's not objectionable. The IR reception area is quite large. I don't even have to point the remote for it to work. It's a MASSIVE improvement over the Flirc dongle. From my perspective, the Flirc idea is exceptional but the results are quite poor. It could be a hardware or software problem or maybe even a combination of both but in my case, it was a huge failure. Sorry, but I have to be honest. Here's a link to the HP MCE IR Remote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231506986079

The seller accepted my offer of $11 including free shipping.

I installed Kodi's Keymap Editor Add-on and was able to add additional functionality to my Harmony 650.

Edited by blueribb

Did you point the remote directly at the Flirc from short distance during the programming? If yes then this is probably the cause of your issue with poor reception. The signal from the remote is too strong. Try recording remote buttons by pointing the remote in different direction, for example at the ceiling (so the signal is weakened by being reflected from it).

I have my Flirc behind my TV plugged into Raspberry Pi 2 with OSMC.

BTW I would suggest to not use MCE remote profile for Flirc.

Did you point the remote directly at the Flirc from short distance during the programming? If yes then this is probably the cause of your issue with poor reception. The signal from the remote is too strong. Try recording remote buttons by pointing the remote in different direction, for example at the ceiling (so the signal is weakened by being reflected from it).

I have my Flirc behind my TV plugged into Raspberry Pi 2 with OSMC.

BTW I would suggest to not use MCE remote profile for Flirc.

I followed the instructions that were packed with the Flirc.............oh, wait.............there were none. Anyway, I visited YouTube to find the instructions uploaded by Flirc or Jason. Again, there were none. I read the instructions concerning pairing (teaching) distance on the Flirc website - umm, there were none. And since the Flirc is advertised to work with ANY IR Remote, why is using the MS Media Center Extender profile not acceptable ? Both your statements make no sense to me.

OK, I watched a couple consumer YouTube videos and they showed the pairing process. I did exactly as shown. Here are the videos used for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThjOmpwKgh8

Yes, I agree that documentation is heavily lacking. But it's no reason to be rude to someone who tries to give you some tips.

Have you looked at the FAQ (https://flirc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us)? It is linked from the support pages at flirc.tv.

The issue with the distance from remote to Flirc is not showing every single time. It happens to some people and it has been mentioned multiple times on the forum. I see it's not mentioned in the FAQ. I'll bring this to attention to the person who's maintaining it.

I'm also not a fan of mentioning Flirc as working with every single one remote because it can't do that. This is mentioned in the FAQ and some Microsoft remotes are mentioned as not supported (the list is not closed).

My suggestion for not using MCE remote profile is not because it is not supported at all. It's because it uses RC6 protocol which has some quirks and requires spending more time setting up in Flirc. RC6 protocol has one or more bits in the signal which alternates every time you press the same button. This creates a situation where Flirc sees every second button press as a different button and you need to record each button at least two times for each function.

Personally I prefer profiles which use NEC family protocols like LG or Samsung TV receivers (I have LG TV receiver so I'm using Samsung profile to control Flirc). As I've mentioned before my Flirc is hidden behind the TV and works very well even without straight line of sight between remote and receiver.

Still, sorry you had such a poor experience with Flirc.

I had no intention of being rude. Sorry you took it that way. Although I'm a retired electronics engineer and computer geek, I don't see this product as "plug-n-play" with the restrictions you mention. I am sure most people did not experience the same as I did. RC6 protocol is GREEK to me and I'm sure it is to others. I agree that Flirc needs much more documentation, especially packaged with the device. The reason I used the MS Media Extender profile with my Harmony is because I ordered an HP MCE IR Receiver on a tip from another forum member over at Kodi. If the Flirc failed (as it did), I could then just plug-in the HP IR unit and it's ready to go. Again, I did not intend my post(s) to be rude.

• 6 months later...

The device using the IR receiver is irrelevant if you're using the flirc. The flirc is matching keyboard commands to buttons on the IR remote. You don't even need an IR on the receiving device itself. People will add a profile in harmony that gives them the most options in terms of buttons/commands that have no relation to the hardware being used. Again, the IR on the receiver is a non issue. It can actually complicate the issue using the harmony software and matching the hardware (if you don't know what you're doing) because the device your using is responding to commands via the IR, yet your sending different commands to the flirc.

I own an MCE IR (before I bought the flirc). If it works out 'of the box' with harmony, it's because you chose a profile in harmony that matched it (sorta, as the NUC has one profile). The flirc gives you a lot more options and as a NUC owner, running plex and Kodi I found it was definitely needed. However if the usb IR works for you, then great. Again, has zero to do with the flirc but simple operator error.

Edited by meatball
because