Flirc Forums

General question about universal remotes

JustinSane

Hi folks, been looking into what remotes to use plus been lurking on here looking at people's experiences.

Regarding universal remotes: how would these work with flirc? Would they have to be set to a specific brand of device if it has the option of adding a manufacturer code like with the harmony remote? And if it doesn't have that option, would it work with flirc at all?

Looking for a decent one that does all the functions I want, not that many have 2 sets of skip/search buttons to map the slow step, and skip music tracks.

This one http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-For-All-URC7960-Smartcontrol/dp/B0030GDLYS/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1336517607&sr=8-34

Has options for tv, music player etc. Is it possible to use the music mode on this remote as well as the video mode? so for music I can switch to music mode and use the skip buttons as skip track, and in video use them for small step?

Also buttons like volume can those be doubly mapped so they do the same thing on each mode?

And one last question, can anyone recommend a definitive universal remote control that is under £20 for use with flirc? I looked at the harmony 300 and the rest, and honestly I'm not too keen on the buttons on any of them.

I have their other model.

flirc is linked to DVD profile, don' remember which code though.

Tried out few different ones - some did not work to good ( in my personal opinion it is not so much flirc problem but remote, those universal remotes work better with some codes tehn with others) some were in conflict with my other remotes.

Now it works like a charm :)

Hah, I've just realised that the arrow keys in xbmc double as the step big and small buttons during playback. And enter opens the osd. Bonus. I think ill get this all for one remote unless anyone here thinks it's a bad choice :-)

you can do a lot whit custom remote setup in xbmc, in full screen video I use navigation keys left, right for ff/rev select is for pause up/down for sub offset

Thanks for the responses people. I'm going to go for the all for one remote as it looks nicer to use than the harmony 300. I'll use some random codes for devices by companies that I don't have, should do the trick.

I'll let you guys know how I get on with it (prolly be about august now for my flirc) so look out for that :-P