Flirc Forums

Flirc Records, but playback is unreliable (infrared raquetball)

freeze

I have been working to use flirc with KODI for the past couple of weeks and am just having all sorts of trouble. Here is my basic info that you usually ask for:

Flirc SW Version: 1.3.6

Flirc FW Version: 3.6

Remote: Atlas 5-Device (1054)

Remote Profile: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD

Inter-Key Delay: 6

Flirc is seen by the PC just fine, no matter what USB port I plug it into.

When I record a keypress, the software indicated that the button was recorded fine. When I test the recorded button (yes, I'm testing it in notepad, as well as KODI), the result is that no characters are shown.

I'm no slouch, so I read these forums looking for similar symptoms. One post I read suggested that the flirc is VERY sensitive, and rather than point the remote directly at flirc, bounce the beam off a wall. I re-recorded the button presses by bouncing the beam off the wall, and also tested it by bouncing, and the results were very good..... However, if I point the remote directly at flirc, I still get no response!

What is the final solution to this? I don't want to be aiming my remote at my TV to change the volume, and then over my shoulder for controlling kodi. I even tried plugging flirc into a usb port on the BACK of the PC, so I could bounce the signal off the wall behind it, but it wasn't reliable enough and it missed too many keypresses.

Is there a software fix that improves this behavior? A setting in the GUI? A diffuser in front of the flirc? An unofficial firmware upgrade? How can I use my entertainment system like a normal human being without flinging my remote around like a mad orchestra conductor?

While the sensitivity is pretty high, the idea is you are sitting at your computer while doing the recording and right next to the device. So you bounce it off the wall and get a much more realistic signal. Then when you sit on the couch, you are much farther away, and therefore can point it directly at the direction of the device.

With the bouncing off the wall for recording method, do you have better luck with it working in notepad, etc?

When I'm recording the button presses, and when testing in notepad, I'm the same distance from the flirc... About 8 feet.

...And that's the strange thing: When I record the button presses by bouncing off the wall behind me, and then test in notepad also bouncing the beam off the same wall, flirc seems to work great. I get the programmed characters pretty reliably. It's just when I aim the remote directly at flirc, it gets bashful and doesn't respond.

I can see that I'm not having multiple keypress problems like many of the other members, so I think I'm REALLY close to getting this working perfectly if I can just get this issue worked out.