Flirc Forums

Flirc with home automation software (Domoticz)

valve90210

Hi All

I'm looking into setting up a home automation system using a Raspberry Pi and a bit of USB kit which controls all sorts of different types of automation hardware, and seeing as I have a flirc, i was wondering if I would be able to use it to allow me to control the system with a harmony remote.

Am I right in thinking the flirc shows up to the Pi as a USB keyboard and does the translating from the infra red code setup by the user to keyboard button press??

Am I right in thinking the flirc shows up to the Pi as a USB keyboard and does the translating from the infra red code setup by the user to keyboard button press??

Exactly right.

You can even do nifty things like button combinations e.g. map fast forward to "ctrl+f"

So theoretically, if the automation software can be controlled using a usb keyboard, this should be a fairly simple thing to get working...

Should be a case of setting the codes on the flirc on my pc so for example lighting scene 1 button remote = 'a' on the keyboard, then setting 'a' to switch my lights on to scene 1 in the automation software...

So theoretically, if the automation software can be controlled using a usb keyboard, this should be a fairly simple thing to get working...

Yes

Should be a case of setting the codes on the flirc on my pc so for example lighting scene 1 button remote = 'a' on the keyboard, then setting 'a' to switch my lights on to scene 1 in the automation software...

Yes :)

If you do get it working do post in the subforum "show off" - I'm sure many people will find it interesting.