Flirc Forums

Power toggle triggering with Streacom version

alex_r

Hello,

I've buyed the Streacom version of Flirc.

Unfortunately I cannot get the power toggle to work.

It is described in the changelog under

• [fw] support for streacom power toggle

May someone describe me, how to set it up?

I test it in two ways:

1. The common method: Shutdown PC and trying to start it via configured button.
  2. By setting up the button event handling 'When power button pressed'. After that: I check if the assigned event is emitted.

I tested the assigned button commands 'Power','Wake' and 'Suspend'.

'Suspend' just lets my System run into hibernate (and only wakes up from there).

Best regards

Alex

If you want Flirc-SE to power up your PC from S5 (full shutdown) you need to make sure that Flirc is actually getting power in that state. Some motherboards can be set (in BIOS) to keep the power to some or all USB ports even when in S5. I won't tell you which BIOS setting it is because different manufacturers can name it differently. There is even a possibility that your MB doesn't support that at all.

If you have a voltmeter or multimeter you can check if Flirc is getting power in S5. Just shutdown the PC, set your multimeter in volts mode (at least 5V if you need to select scale) and probe +5V and GND pins (all pins are signed on the board) on the USB header on Flirc board (D+ and D- are for data).

If you check everything and there is still no power on the USB to power Flirc then there is still a way, but it requires at least some electrical skills. Be warned that by doing something wrong you CAN break something in your PC (for example the power supply, the motherboard or the Flirc itself).

This solution involves routing power directly from the power supply instead of the USB port where Flirc-SE is connected. If you have a standard ATX power supply (20 or 24 pin) there is a signal called +5VSB (from standby) which is always on. You can find the pinout here http://s478.photobucket.com/user/finalman123/media/atxorig_zpsd6c31fd8.png.html. It is the pink pin. For the ground you can use any of the GND pins. D+ and D- pins on the Flirc should still be connected to the use like they are but 1st and 4th should be disconnected from the USB and connected so +5V on the Flirc board is connected to +5VSB on the ATX plug, and GND to GND.

Thank you for your fast answers!

There is power on the flirc. I used the previous Streacom IR-Receiver on the same port yesterday and it worked (Boot from 'power off').

Additionally: I test the "Power switch state" on running system via event handling. No reaction as well. The event works, when I press the power button manually.

I can assign the 'wake' button, but when I press it, I get no feedback.

Neither in Flirc ('wake' does not turn green, when I press the assigned button) nor via mentioned event setup.

Do you have any further hint?

Thank you so far.

Edit:

I can 'cat' the incoming events (cat /dev/input/by-id/usb-flirc.tv_flirc-event-kbd). There is no event coming from the device when I press the 'wake'-assigned button.

Does the 'wake' command just toggle the pws-circuit?

Edit 2:

My settings:

$ flirc_util settings
flirc_util version v1.3.4 [v1.3.4]
  Firmware: v3.5 [E793D969]

Settings:
  sleep detection:  Enabled
  noise canceler:   Enabled
  inter-key delay:  3
  seq. modifiers:   Enabled
  state:            0
  builtin profiles: Enable

Memory Info:
  keys recorded:  41
  keys remaining: 128
  memory used:   32%

Recorded Keys:
Index  hash        key
-----  ---------   ---
    0  EDF0129A    up
    1  211D0B13    left
    2  6ED0105A    down
    3  88159E1A    right
    4  1D91CCA8    return
    5  15AABAC9    escape
    6  B09E357D    1
    7  62EB3036    2
    8  E3CB2DF6    3
    9  961828AF    4
   10  FD10BBB6    5
   11  AF5DB66F    6
   12  303DB42F    7
   13  E28AAEE8    8
   14  3817D976    9
   15  EA64D42F    0
   16  23DA0DEF    F1
   17  2BB43336    F3
   18  718D1336    F4
   19  A30A70C9    F2
   20  DB5F6AA8    F5
   21  7967387D    F6
   22  3B3E783D    F7
   23  6ED8DEC9    F8
   24  33051561    F9
   25  B7B75828    F10
   26  3CE0C282    F11
   27  4139DF28    F12
   28  FCB67A68    pageup
   29  63AF0D6F    pagedown
   30  BB9EF98B    l
   31  763FB561    p
   32  510325E8    r
   33  88EB9CE8    f
   34  C3F2BAA8    s
   35  6FA60F28    b
   36  3C7916AF    n
   37  EEC61168    m
   38  96DC05E8    a
   39  21F309E1    d
   40  15FC0828    wake
Edited by alex_r

It works now with assigned 'power' and these settings:

Settings:
 sleep detection:  Enabled
 noise canceler:   Disabled
 inter-key delay:  3
 seq. modifiers:   Disabled
 state:            0
 builtin profiles: Disable

Thank you for your help so far.

But it works only within S5. In the running system, the button assigned with 'power' is without function.

Could you implement 'power'-key emitting in the next firmware version?

Best regards

Alex

It works now with assigned 'power' and these settings:

Settings:

sleep detection:  Enabled

noise canceler:   Disabled

inter-key delay:  3

seq. modifiers:   Disabled

state:            0

builtin profiles: Disable

Thank you for your help so far.

But it works only within S5. In the running system, the button assigned with 'power' is without function.

Could you implement 'power'-key emitting in the next firmware version?

Best regards

Alex

update should address this.

Great job for enabling the PWS-Triggering even in 'System running mode'.

Is it also possible to send the KEY_POWER signal to the input device.

This would make possible the following setup:

System off: Turn system on.

System on:

Kodi off: Turn Kodi on.

Kodi on: Open Kodis Exit/Shutdown window

With current setup this would be very difficult.

This is just a 'nice to have', but could be interesting for other users as well.

Best regards

I don't think that's possible unless you can programmatically catch ACPI signal when the power button is "pressed" and conditionally prevent its propagation to the system which would normally trigger system shutdown. But if you have such possibility (to capture the ACPI signal) then you actually wouldn't need additional input from Flirc because you could use the ACPI signal itself to start the Kodi if it's not yet started.

A quick search on Google tells me that capturing ACPI signal and preventing the system to shutdown upon it may be possible on Linux, but I couldn't find a Windows based solution.

Flirc itself can't support such logic because it doesn't know anything about applications running on your system.

That's true.

This was just an example.

So capturing the acpi-signal is possible and makes it possible to start Kodi.

The problem here is the idea of leading Kodi to show the Shutdown Dialog via acpi-Signal Event.

A common remote-Signal would do the job.

So maybe I'm wrong, but currently, you do the following in the firmware:

1. Check if IR-Hash is linked to "power".
  2. If so: Trigger the PWS circuit on the streacom module.
  3. Else: Emit signal as "Key_..." to the system

My idea is to perform step 3 in any case:

3. Emit signal as "Key_..." to the system

Best regards

The first problem here is that Flirc can accept only a single mapping per remote button. You can't tell it to use power button when PC is off and some keyboard key when it is on as you can't store two different actions for a single IR hash. Also in this rc firmware, as per request, Jason specifically removed part of the code that discriminated between power states for the "power" key so he would need to add it back and somehow allow to map second action for power-on state and this is not possible as I've mentioned before. To support multiple actions per IR hash whole config section in EEPROM would need to have different structure making new firmware once again incompatible with older one.

If you are really able to capture ACPI event before it is received by the Windows then you can also emit S key to the Windows which would pop the shutdown dialog in Kodi. This would require a conditional execution (in pseudo-code):

on (ACPI power button event) {
  if (Kodi window is present) {
    emit('s');
  } else {
    exec('kodi.exe');
  }
}

---edit---

Hmmm I've re-read your posts and I maybe know what you meant. You want that when the host is powered on then Flirc shouldn't send the signal over the wires to the motherboard power switch pins but instead it should emit a Keyboard Power key with is defined as HID code 0x66 in the HID keyboard standard. Am I correct?

Jason would it be possible to include this as an option in Advanced options? Something like "Send Keyboard Power key instead of pressing power button when in power on state". When unchecked it would retain current behavior (shorting mobo power pins independent of host power state), but checked would turn on power state detection and would send the 0x66 (or maybe 0x30 from consumer usage table?) key instead when host is in power on state.

Ah, ok.

I thought, there is a possibility to allow PWS-triggering and action sending in parallel, just by a small firmware change.

No problem at all. I can try to execute a shell script, which will be executed on power button press.

I only asked, because the previous Streacom model worked just this way.

Nevertheless, thank you for your effort. Under the line: Flirc is a great product!

Best regards