Flirc Forums

Flirc Raspberry Pi Case suggestion

ChristTheGreat

Hi,

I have the Firc Raspberry Pi case and I love it. I have a small suggestion if one day you make a new version, it would be to add a thermal pad connected to the case for the lan chip, as it produce some heat (and maybe the RG2?).

rpiblog2test7ir1.jpg

Taken from a website. I can do the test, I have a thermal laser. Right now I put thermal pad + RAM heatsink that I have in spare, does the work, but would be nice to have it directly to the case :)

Thanks for reading and thanks alot for the case, It is the best one I've seen so far :)

I was confused for a moment because that's RPi model B on the thermal camera photo you've posted and Flirc RPi case is for B+. Then I've read that this is just some photo you've found on the web :).

For the RPi itself (without a case) 55C on the chip is not that high. But I wonder what the temperature on the LAN chip when enclosed in a case, where air circulation is constricted. Some of the heat is probably transferred over the air to the metal case, but air is not very good heat exchange medium. I think that may be a really good idea to add thermal pad for it.

Yeah sorry, I posted just as an example. :) My bad haha! but for sure, I will just take it out of the case and see while playing a video from LAN, the temperature (my SoC is set to overclock BTW, I'll disable this)

Like you said, air is not a good heat exchange the metal case will get a little bit hotter from the air, but not enough, there will be hot air in the case, as there is no flow (or really small amount maybe near connector)

Last time, I remember when I touched the LAN chip it was hot.

I'll test this this week when I'll be back home,